• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a Range in Your Basement

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008...t_shooting_range_0.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=XL#qdig

Interesting old article, but it got me thinking. Could you build a range in your basement and use dirt as a berm? (Lets assume you dont have a neighbor with basement in close proximity, just for sake of argument). What about shooting at cinderblock with dirt behind it? Would you just need some good ventilation?

I'm sure you'd never be able to get the permits necessary for something like that in MA though?

Ventilation would be critical, otherwise you'd get pretty serious amounts of lead and excess powder building up.

My cellar is 64' long and I have often thought about shooting .22 down there.

I would recommend against it. I don't want airborne lead and unburnt powder in my basement. If you want to shoot in your basement, get an air pistol.

... If you want to shoot in your basement, get an air pistol.

+1

I bought a Crosman 2240 single shot CO2 pistol for shooting in the cellar.
It is inexpensive and accurate.
Also no powder fumes or lead-based primer residue to clean up.
I have found a 6" x 6" pellet trap fastened to a 12" x 18" piece of plywood is good for 20'.

Jack

I'm not sure about MA law, but in NH it's unlawful to discharge a firearm within 300 feet of a occupied dwelling without the owners permission. Even if it's in the basement.

If there are more than 300' between your basement and your neighbors basement, that's not a concern, though the lead, powder and residues are still and issue.

I agree with the earlier statement. If you want to set-up a shoot in your basement, get a pellet gun.

I have a bullet catcher in my basement set up at 30 feet. It started out as a .22 caliber catcher 35 years ago when I was a kid, but has since been reinforced. I have shot .357s at it. Though they don't go through the catcher, at about 20 lbs it does get pushed back a bit so I don't shoot anything bigger than .40s. Mind you I am not shooting down there all day, usually a shot or two with new handloads or doing a function check on a gun I have worked on.

As far as shooting in one's basement in Mass., I have a Mass firearms law book which essentially states there is an exemption to the state's discharge within so many feet of another property laws as long as it is done in the home. It doesn't address any noise ordinances though. I assume this must be case law because I don't think I have ever seen it in the Mass General Laws.

Dave

Last edited:
You could use that lead-free frangible stuff. It's a bit more expensive, but no lead poisoning risk, no ricochet and very low penetration. Seems like the perfect ammo for a home range.

This sounds like a great way to turn your home into a superfund site

Back
Top Bottom