Building a closet safe?

SKS Ray

NES Member
I've seen posts on milsurp collector boards where people have turned closets into walk in gun safes and have even seen doors that companies sell to install for turninga room into 1 giant safe. I have a friend who is a contractor and says he can install a steel frame and door with heavy duty lock on my closet and I think I am going to go for it. My walls are thick and very strong (old late 1800's house). I currently have 5 heavy duty sheet metal safes to store my milsurps in. Not so much for value protection but for staying legal under the Mass laws by locking them up. They're strong enough to keep the average thief out and would take a lot of time and tools to get into, but take up too much room. My house is equipped with an alarm already and I have extra security measures I can install myself, my question is has anyone here built a vault like storage area for your rifles?
I'm thinking a light fixture inside, shelves for accessories, and either racks along the wall for standing the rifles up, or a set of floor racks that can be rolled out from one side so I can pick whichever rifle I want. I just need ideas and pros and cons from people here with sizeable collections.

I might do something to try and fire proof it, and add some type of moisture control unit too.

If your old house is built like my old house, the post and beam part isn't going anywhere for the next 200 years, but the interior walls for things like closets are framed on true 2" x 10" or 2" x 12" stock set sideways in the walls with lathe and plaster over them.

I'm sure he will anyway, but have your friend make sure to reframe the door and set the anchor bolts deep in more of a 2" x 4" or even 2" x 6" construction than what's there now.

You may want to think about the walls. I have NO idea what the reqs would be, and not sure what your walls are made out of, but my fear would be just taking hammer to wall to get in.

I'm just looking at how easy it was to tear down a wall, and these were early 1900's walls too.

The closet's location makes for getting at the walls impossible. Besides, I live in a pretty tight area on an average city block. If anyone did break in the house alarm would be screaming and neighbors that are home all day would be over in a second after calling the police.

When I finally buy a house (looking like it will be RI next year), I plan to build a closet in the basement using cinder blocks and a steel door and frame. I think that should do the trick.

My gun room is still in the makes.
2 (outer) walls are 12" cement blocks, 2 (inner) are 9 1/2",
230 square feet.
The door will be a 3 layer safe door with dial lock, weighing in
at 815 lbs[smile]

Note to self: Need a fridge and DSL in there, too.[rofl]

Note to self: Need a fridge and DSL in there, too.[rofl]

And one of these.
54_1.JPG

I do store rifle shipping boxes and spare stocks up there but thats just resting over pipes so they're out of the way. I can't say putting rifles up there with a pull down door would be secure enough for me.

I do store rifle shipping boxes and spare stocks up there but thats just resting over pipes so they're out of the way. I can't say putting rifles up there with a pull down door would be secure enough for me.

More secure than in a closet with cable locks, and especially so when behind a dropped ceiling. Just curious.

Weight and gravity become an issue. Removing ONE, without all of them wanting to fall on your head could be another issue.

Back
Top Bottom