Bug out... What do you need?

Having a BOB (bug-out-bag) or a GOOD (Get-out-of-dodge) bag setup with basic supplies for everyone in your family is essential. My pack in particular though carries all of the survival equipment, while the other packs carry only clothes, and some personal items.

One thing that came to mind while reading these posts was I am just too naive to think I don't need some kind of kit. The more I read the more I thought about creating one. Here is my issue. I noticed that many of you put the gear in a pack of some sort but the contents of these packs are similar from person to person. My question is what does the rest of your family do for supplies? Do you have a pack for the wife and kids set aside as well?

I actually have a couple bags set up. In our two cars we have a small bag that has a good amount of essentials needed to survive for a few days. In my basement I have two ALICE packs built in case we have to evacuate the house. The only thing I would need to do is take the contents of the small bags in the cars and transfer them to the ALICE packs to make them complete. I don't plan on leaving my house in the event of disaster, but the packs are ready in case we do.

OK,
Here's the scenario:

You are were you are RIGHT Now. Work, Home Hotel etc.

Dirty bomb/backpack nuke/ Chemical/Biological is found to be in the city of (Your Location), and the detonation is eminent.( Has just occured. What ?you think they are going to warn you?)

You know you need to beat feet and get yourself farther away from the fall-out. All hell is gonna be breaking loose VERY soon.

10 Min from now!

You grab your bug-out supplies (What you forgot to bring them to work with you?)
and are in the car (Stuck in the BIG DIG TUNNEL again) and off to your pre-determined bug-out location.( Pre-determined Location just melted into Glass)

Whole different picture is it not? Whats your backup plan?

There isn't one.

I have a deployment bag in the SUV here at work, with the usual supplies and gear. If something major goes off in this town, I'm toast (no pun intended).

If it goes off in Boston, then perhaps there's some time to leave.... but to where. Everyone else is going there too. Too many people on the road already.

So, I'll be sitting at home, waiting for the zombies to arrive and see how long the ammo holds out. [thinking]

Backup plan is already set for me...

As for being at work.. Not a problem. I keep a GHB (Get Home Bag) in my truck at all times. Basic kit, in the form of a large fanny pack. It has enough supplies to feed and shelter me, and get me home in one piece if I can't take my truck...

I keep a GHB (Get Home Bag) in my truck at all times. Basic kit, in the form of a large fanny pack. It has enough supplies to feed and shelter me, and get me home in one piece if I can't take my truck...
What kind of supplies would that be, Adam? Sounds like an interesting idea.

The supplies you would have to have in a GHB will be different from mine.. I only work around 10 miles from where I live. As the crow flies, it's probably only like 7. I can cover that distance in a couple hours if I push. Therefore I don't necessarily figure any shelter into my bag, though I do have 2 emergency blankets, and enough knowledge of how to make an improvised shelter when needed. In any case, in the bag, I keep 2 of those 3600 calorie life boat ration bars, 2 power bars, fire making supplies, rain poncho, multi tool, first aid kit, 550 cord, knife, 50 rounds of handgun ammo, water purification tablets, water bottles (2 full, 1 empty),flash light.
Without going through the bag I'm sure I am leaving some stuff out, but you get the idea.

Some things there I wouldn't have thought of, but in general what I was thinking was on target. I'd add three days worth of meds for my and my wife, just in case. Never know how long it's going to take to get home.

Hmm. Couple more questions here:
2 3600 calorie life boat ration bars
Get these at a marine supply place?

550 cord - how much do you typically carry? 50'?

water bottles (2 full, 1 empty) 1 liter, 2 liter? I'm planning on stashing a 3 liter bottle in my car, but that'd be a little heavy to carry, I'm thinking. Or maybe a couple of canteens on a web belt would be better.

flash light - I'm thinking 2-D cell Maglight with then new LED light source instead of the bulb type would be good. Maybe a belt ring for it, too.

Hmm. Couple more questions here:
2 3600 calorie life boat ration bars
Get these at a marine supply place?

550 cord - how much do you typically carry? 50'?

water bottles (2 full, 1 empty) 1 liter, 2 liter? I'm planning on stashing a 3 liter bottle in my car, but that'd be a little heavy to carry, I'm thinking. Or maybe a couple of canteens on a web belt would be better.

flash light - I'm thinking 2-D cell Maglight with then new LED light source instead of the bulb type would be good. Maybe a belt ring for it, too.

Having done canteens in the Army, I think I would rather go a camel back.

Here are the 3600 calorie bars I have. They are usually called Life Boat Rations.

I have a 100' roll of 550 cord. That's the way I bought it, and I just left it tightly packaged on the original spool.

As for the water, I have 2 full and 1 empty 16oz. water bottles. As much as I would love to have the camel back, being realistic here in the North East, we have to consider freezing. I have successfully frozen and thawed a Poland Springs bottle 10 times without compromising the seal. The empty bottle is of course if the full ones are frozen, and I need to collect and treat water.

As for the flash light, it is a small AA sized light. I suspect that I will be adding a head lamp to the bag, if not replacing the AA light all together. They are much more versatile, and leave your hands free.

As for the flash light, it is a small AA sized light. I suspect that I will be adding a head lamp to the bag, if not replacing the AA light all together. They are much more versatile, and leave your hands free.
I have a light that I got for $10 at Walmart called a Catseye - has 3 bright white LEDs and it clips on the brim of your ball cap. About 10 hours out of 4 CR2016 (or maybe they're CR2012) batteries. Batteries are about 50 cents each on the Net.

I have a couple options, here at work. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I only live 3 miles from home, but that's not the point.

What I actually carry into work is my "Day bag" - the Maxpedition "Jumbo Versipack"

2400 calorie Food Bar (Mainstay)
2x 4.2oz Water Pouches (Datrex)
Hand and Body warmers
Emergency blanket
Box of waterproof matches,
Emergency poncho
N5 Particulate Respirator
Surefire 6P flashlight with extra batteries/bulb.
assorted pens w/notepad and other usual stuff (spare glasses, umbrella, etc)
32 oz Nagalene bottle
Large TDI Law Enforcement Knife (K-Bar)
100' of 550 cord
Extra mag for my Glock 27

If my SUV isn't a burning wreck, then I have alot more stuff (basiclly a 3 day for two people setup).

RJ,
I do like those bags, but WOW they are pricey!

Mine is just a walmart special that I got with the hunting close-out stuff. It is Realtree cammo, about 8 inches tall, 12 inches wide, with a wide belt, back pads, and a pocket on each side for a water bottle. I think I paid $10 for it.

A Plan ? I don't need no Plan ! ....

But I have one anyway. My work , wifes job & kids school are all close enough to meet up within a half hour.

Both of my vehicles are 4wd.

I have close friends in both NH & Maine , and I have a small cabin , well & some food - w/ 10 acres in Maine as well.

Both trucks have the most detailed map/road guides I could find , both for New England and the USA. And they have full sized spares , appropriate tools , and battery boosters in them. I keep 15 gallons of spare gas at home ... because my town has no gas station and I have 2 trucks w/ one driver.

I posted about my B.O.B. earlier. My long guns and ammo are actually organized.

Remember my wifes job ? She's the warehouse manager of an internet based food bar company ( Zone Diet ). I have access to enough mylar wrapped food product to live out my life on health food if need be. Yuck.

I seriously believe my biggest problem is going to be telling my friends I really meant it when I said if you can't keep up I'm leaving you behind.

Great forum – it’s definitely gotten me thinking. I’m going to have a good planning conversation with my fiancé this weekend. There are a couple things that I’ve thought of that weren’t mentioned yet (or haven’t been discussed much), and I wanted to throw it out there:

1 – Cash!!! I don’t know about you, but even during my best planned excursions, I always forget something important. Lord knows what I’ll forget if I’m in a rush. Besides, it’s never what you thought you would or wouldn’t need, always what you didn’t think of. And cash can go a long way if you run out of supplies or need to bribe someone.

2 – Gas. A couple people have mentioned it, but what about details? I really can’t imagine trekking out of the Boston suburbs, but I can imagine being stuck in traffic for long periods of time during an evacuation, so I would think this would be very important. Do you keep spare gas in a container at home? In the car? How much do you expect you’ll need? Enough to get you to your emergency destination? Twice as much?

3 – Water. Again, it’s mentioned, but I don’t think enough. I could easily see water contamination becoming a huge problem in any natural or man made disaster (radiation, chemicals, sewage, water lines shutting down, etc). And a very dumb question – can you contaminate water by storing it for long periods of time?

What is your bug out destination?

In general, how long do you plan to have to support yourself before you need to resupply? A few days? A week? Longer?

Thanks!

As for the cash, good point. Do I have it, of course I do, but then again I'm not going to say how much, and where it's kept![wink]

Gas, good one! Possibly the most over-looked thing you might need. I read a great article about the escape route from hurricane Rita, it TX. VERY hot weather, people forced to keep their cars turned off, or just running out of gas, and not able to go any further. Me, I keep about 28 gallons of gas at all times. That is in 2 6.5gal cans, and 3 5gal cans. I rotate it out in the summer and again in the fall. I keep this gas on hand mainly for use in my generator if I need to run it, but also just in case I need to be gone and not stop.

Water, You just can't have enough of it. While planning storage, you should plan a minimum of 1gal per day, per person. That should cover drinking, cooking, and basic sanitary needs. To answer your question, yes you can contaminate water from storing it improperly. However, if you take the correct precautions, that can be avoided. If you are storing water into containers yourself, first make sure that the containers are suitable for water storage. Next, you need to sterilize the container. To do that, use a 1:10 bleach/water solution. For large containers, I will fill it about 1/4 with the water and bleach, shake it all around, then leave it sitting for 10-20 minutes then rotate the container to the other side, and repeat until the solution has been in contact with all of the sides for 10 minutes or so. Empty the container (don't use the same solution for another container) do not rinse the container, but fill it immediately with water. If the water source you are using is know to be good, add 1/2 teaspoon of bleach to every gallon, and seal the container immediately. Use 1 full teaspoon/gallon if the source is not known. This water should keep for AT LEAST 1 year stored in a cool dark place. I have a container that will be coming up on 2 years this summer, and I am anxious to check it out to see how it made it through. On a side note, if you do open your water and find that it doesn't smell quite right, you can refresh the water by adding the bleach again, shaking the container and waiting 20 minutes. If you can smell the bleach again, and there is no growth on the sides of the container, it will be safe to drink. If you still can't smell the light bleach smell, repeat again. As for water you buy in the store, make sure it is in the clear containers, not the translucent type most gallon water is in. This plastic is HDPE1, and will keep the water longer with less plastic taste. This water will have an expiration date, of about 2 years. They will get longer life than you will, because the water is passed through high intensity UV lights that kill all bacteria. If you store the water in a cool dark place, you can get a much longer life, but you will sacrifice some taste for that. Right at this very moment, I am drinking some of my stored store bought water (I keep a rotation schedule) and it has a date of 9/1/04 on it. Honestly, I can't taste the plastic, and to be quite honest it still tastes pretty damn good!

I don't think you will find many folks that will tell you where there bug-out location is...

As for supporting yourself, it's a matter of what you believe that will dictate how long you will feel this is necessary. My best suggestion would be to start at a week, then bump that up to a month, then 3 and keep going until YOU feel comfortable.

Here are the 3600 calorie bars I have. They are usually called Life Boat Rations.

Interesting, never seen these before. Might want them in my crash bag as well. But I gotta say, the pictures sure don't make them look appetizing! I know the web page says they "are Not thirst-provoking", but look at 'em, they sure look like dried compressed cardboard. How do they taste Adam?

-= chuck

Great forum – it’s definitely gotten me thinking. I’m going to have a good planning conversation with my fiancé this weekend. There are a couple things that I’ve thought of that weren’t mentioned yet (or haven’t been discussed much), and I wanted to throw it out there:

1 – Cash!!!
2 – Gas.
3 – Water.
What is your bug out destination?

In general, how long do you plan to have to support yourself before you need to resupply? A few days? A week? Longer?

Thanks!

Good questions. Here's my take.

Cash. What does that really mean? What is the level of disaster? That will affect if paper money actually means anything. I"d like to say I have gold coins cached about, but that would be dreaming.

Gas. Since we live in a condo, there isn't any gas storage available. So, draining the wife's car into gas cans would be my choice.

Water. We currently have 15+ days or so of water in various configurations. I too was concerned about proper storage and tried to purchase the right equipment for the job. Its transporting it out that could cause a problem.

Where to go? Everyone has an idea. SOme actually have a place to go. I have an idea, that would get us out of the major urban areas.

::sighs:: I'd rather be thinking about vacation. [thinking]

Interesting, never seen these before. Might want them in my crash bag as well. But I gotta say, the pictures sure don't make them look appetizing! I know the web page says they "are Not thirst-provoking", but look at 'em, they sure look like dried compressed cardboard. How do they taste Adam?

-= chuck

Not too bad actually. They kinda taste like those English shortbread cookies that come in the round tin, but not as dry. I have had those, and another brand that have a lemon butter taste. I liked the shortbread ones better, so I went with those.

Living on Nantucket, Ive got to face the fact that I might be going nowhere.
We might very well have to bug in rather than bug out.
That hasnt prevented me from getting BOBs ready for each family member, but I have concentrated on Bug in more than bug out.
As for the BOB,
I have a sleeping bag for each person
Inside each BOB I have change of clothing
poncho
A commercial 3 day survival kit that is very much like a marine survival kit.
Knife
Cord
Small spiral notebook with pen and pencil
small flashlight w/extra batteries
fire starting supplies (Including magnesium bar)
a small fishing kit (line,hooks,small lures, Make a pole out of a stick when needed.)
dust masks
tyvek suit
One large zip lock with some extras inside it, along with a large trash bag.
safety glasses
Toiletries,including some tylenol,pepto tabs, flu tabs,etc.
small first aid kit
Each kit has 4 small one ounce silver ingots. Better than paper. They were cheap a few years ago when I bought them on ebay. Silver has gone up since then.They can be cut or shaved if needed.
Identification papers and copies of passports etc.
Space blanket
Bottle of water tabs.
Signal mirror
Compass
"Soft" water bottle bottle. (can be collapsed when empty)
When the kids were younger I had a couple small travel type games stashed away but those have been removed as they are older now.
Ammo and such are in another bag and that is broken up so everyone in the family can carry ammo and a weapon if needed. My youngest is now 14, but in a nasty situation, he and his older brother will each be packing a small .32 revolver. Wife and I will carry the larger calibers.
Some of the bug in supplies can be added if bug out is necessary.
Bug In is a different story.
I have all I need.
5x5 gallon water carboy bottles.(Rotated every year)
3 cases MREs
Canned pooch food
3x 200 ct tab bottles of Potassium Iodate.(these can also be given to pets, the dog is an important factor in bug In.)
Plenty of ammo
Gasoline,
Generator
A big nasty dog (sorry, Kitty. You get thrown outside[grin] )
Ive even gone so far as to make plywood shutters to cover all the windows in the house if need be. Each one has a slot cut out of it for visibility to the outside, if you get my drift...
You name it, I got it.
I feel confident and ready, which is a good part of any survival plan.
Another thing that is important is to make sure that everyone in your group or family has a pre-determined meeting place should you be separated, along with a second alternative location.
We also have decided who would be our go-between if an intermediary message taker/passer is needed.
I have also set up a secret spot where messages can be left for others if needed.
Our family also has a code word should a stranger or non-group member needs to be used. If they dont know the code word, they havent talked to anyone in our family. (important if you have kids).
Everyone in our home has been instructed in the use of any of the BI or BOB supplies. If you dont know how to use it, it isnt of any use.

Those are the bars I keep in my BOB as well. I've had one and they don't have much taste to them, but they definetly feel like your eating something. I also have the Life Boat water pouches. They are frozen in the back of my car now, but the bag they are in do not pop. I'd have to warm them up to use them.

Back
Top Bottom