Bug in at almost all costs

In some scenarios, where government learns of a big problem before the populace does, they'll use National Guard to keep routes clear so disaster response does not get stuck in panic traffic.

Say they know nukes are about to be launched. They'll send police, fire, EMT, medical, "leaders" and other stuff out of a target urban zone, then keep routes back in clear. This may happen with a meteor strike IF, if they can get an hours warning.

So when you hear "remain calm and remain in your homes" there may well be armed people keeping you off the good roads, so that the cops and fire and evacuation trucks can move.

And if there is a huge epidemic, the Powers That Be won't allow people to move around and potentially spread the disease. In that case expect to meet force wearing MOPP 4 suits telling you to go home.

So when planning your bug-out, keep in mind that the guys in control already have plans in place, too, and people, vehicles and stored fuel to act out those plans. They'll be willing to risk some people by bottling them up so that a greater number of people, overall, will come out OK.

Try networking with people who you already know who are like minded. You will not get a great response to that here, based off of responses in similar threads.

I am sure people will help with advice on how to help develop your group, but recruiting may be tough, and frankly you might not like who you attract. Don't just look for shooters. People can be trained in weapons. Look for people who you can depend on.

Nickels worth of free advice.

I have a pretty solid network already. But you never know people till they face stress. But my offer is still open.

Thanks for the thread guys...making my decision about buying a house in Rural NH with a couple of acres, despite the long commute, easier.

I think I'll be looking into making my BOB into more of a "Get Home Bag"...something I can keep in the car and can cover me for food, water and defense if I had to dump the car and hoof it home.

Thanks for the thread guys...making my decision about buying a house in Rural NH with a couple of acres, despite the long commute, easier.

I think I'll be looking into making my BOB into more of a "Get Home Bag"...something I can keep in the car and can cover me for food, water and defense if I had to dump the car and hoof it home.
I always think it's a good choice to have some type of bug out bag in the car.

One big check mark is having you cc on you. Just keep ammo in your bag and extra mags. Hold you over until you arrive to your arsenal.

That's all I do, no "BOB". The back of my truck always has a couple containers full of stuff, not just for SHTF, but more for mundane things. Sudden headache while traveling? Got ibuprofen. Suddenly gets a whole lot colder than I was prepared for? Got sweatshirts and compact fleece sleeping bags. Flat tire? Air compressor. Dead battery? Jump start battery. Plus, your usual spare batteries, rope, map, flashlight, canvas (for putting on ground under truck so I can climb under it), ponchos, TP, ugly clothing, SS water bottles (usually empty), even a couple changes of underwear because you never know when you may rip one too loudly and more comes out than just smelly air.

It's things like this that lead me to think that the epidemics are just one screw up away...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28490546#FBM393162

TB is a scary ass little bug.. I'd rather be shot than get hit with a multi-drug resistant form. Pretty much, you ARE going to die, and it's going to take 6 months for you to do so, all the while contaminating everything around you.. They can culture this bug off of tissue samples formaldehyde fixed 40 years ago. Hope you have sealed lexan storm windows. and loads of Clorox cleanup with bleach.

That's all I do, no "BOB". The back of my truck always has a couple containers full of stuff, not just for SHTF, but more for mundane things. Sudden headache while traveling? Got ibuprofen. Suddenly gets a whole lot colder than I was prepared for? Got sweatshirts and compact fleece sleeping bags. Flat tire? Air compressor. Dead battery? Jump start battery. Plus, your usual spare batteries, rope, map, flashlight, canvas (for putting on ground under truck so I can climb under it), ponchos, TP, ugly clothing, SS water bottles (usually empty), even a couple changes of underwear because you never know when you may rip one too loudly and more comes out than just smelly air.

Didn't expect to encounter the shart prep in this thread.

I live too close to the Seabrook nuclear plant - my b.o.b. is for any problem with the plant. I know we'll all most likely be screwed in this area (too few roads leading out), but you've got to try.

I live too close to the Seabrook nuclear plant - my b.o.b. is for any problem with the plant. I know we'll all most likely be screwed in this area (too few roads leading out), but you've got to try.

There are true BOB scenarios. I will grant you that.

Bugging out doesn't always mean "Going Lewis & Clark and surviving in the great north woods." Some people will bug out of the city to their secondary location that is already prepped. [thinking]

That's my plan. As I said, my first rule of bugging out is to have some place to go - that isn't someone else's.

Rural, defensible, sustainable are all a plus.

I plan for the most likely worst-case scenario: a winter snowstorm like the Blizzard of '78 only with flood tides like the Hurricane in Lower Manhatten. If that happened I'd be living on an island for 12 hours a day, and we even have a boat for that eventuality.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are some immense food distribution warehouses in Boston that might be useful to know about. I'm heading straight for the meat packers with a couple of bottles of Whiskey. Yall can have the vegetables!

Didn't expect to encounter the shart prep in this thread.

While it is a bit of hyperbole, extra undies is very useful to prep for. Other possible needs for it include having to spend an extra day beyond your plans during travel. And, I tend to be a klutz and have managed to fall into my brook in Maine not once, not twice but three times. Freezing cold water, half an hour from my truck and a change of clothes. It comes in handy. I gotta remind myself to stop falling into brooks!

I plan for the most likely worst-case scenario: a winter snowstorm like the Blizzard of '78 only with flood tides like the Hurricane in Lower Manhatten. If that happened I'd be living on an island for 12 hours a day, and we even have a boat for that eventuality.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are some immense food distribution warehouses in Boston that might be useful to know about. I'm heading straight for the meat packers with a couple of bottles of Whiskey. Yall can have the vegetables!

If you can beat the local crowds there and manage to get through the local crowds on your way out you'd be working a miracle. Everyone local to the places knows what they are and where. They'd be over run in less than an hour if a true SHTF situation happened.

I'd be bee lining it out of the city at first notion of something happening and not looking back.

If you can beat the local crowds there and manage to get through the local crowds on your way out you'd be working a miracle. Everyone local to the places knows what they are and where. They'd be over run in less than an hour if a true SHTF situation happened.

I'd be bee lining it out of the city at first notion of something happening and not looking back.
How long have you lived in Boston?

You'd be better served lining your walls with lead. What are you going to do when the plume blows in the direction of your bugout location?

I am goin nowhere. I have neighbors with chickens and goats that are like minded as well as about an acre of garden. A very defensible group of houses that could be made inaccessible to vehicles in 30 minutes with a chainsaw.

I keep a bag in my truck whose primary purpose it to make sure I get home.

I am not leaving unless staying means death. And then it really won't be hard to figure to figure out what to take. There is only so much you can put in the bed of a pick up truck

Most of us are better prepared than most by the fact we're even talking about this. Most never give it a thought, and after an event will wait for a period for big government to come and save them. That's the window for those of us with some preperation to move to our BOL. For some it's bug in, others bug out. I'm on the edge of Nashua. It's too urban for me to feel safe bugging in, but I guess it depends on the event. A sever storm then I think I'm ok staying put. Anything truly disruptive that could turn society upside down for a few months, then it's bug out. I have like-minded friends up north and that's were I'm headed. Anything south of the notch is too populated for my liking.

In four years my youngest is out of school. When that happens I'm selling and going north. When looking for our new home prepping will a big factor in selecting our new home. My wife is on board which is a big obstacle overcome.

Last edited:
I will bug in. One way in with flank security. I have a small garden and a big front and back lawn to turn into gardens. Apple orchard within 1/8 mile. Lots of wilds and plentiful game. Swamp and pond for fish, amphibians, and fresh water. Have peppered this with various varieties of other wilds and now wild growing veg patches that currently feed the deer I eat. I have several like-minded neighbors. One is the livestock guy. One is the horse guy. All are gun guys except the horse guy. I figure the first winter and spring may be tight until every plan is up and running successfully, but we could probably go a haul without the rest of the world.

Derek said it best that bugging out doesn't mean going 'lewis and clark" but just going to a spot that you've prearranged.

Early on, I, like just about everyone else, figured my wife and I would be on our own in the woods. I'm a consummate outdoorsman as is my wife. To see how we would fare, we experienced being "stranded" in the wilderness without any help or communication for a week at a time by doing fly-ins up in the Maine North Woods. We were simply dropped off a small lake by float plane and picked up a week later. When you see that plane taxi away and fly out leaving you there, you can actually feel the sensation of being totally alone in the pit of your stomach. If you have NOT experienced that then you would be best served to try it sometime. I'm not talking about "roughing it" in some off road campsite with a trailer. Granted we had a small cabin for a roof over our heads but we were 100% responsible for our own well-being, food, water, health, etc. until that plane came back. We had brought food so we didn't have to forage but realized how much of a major undertaking that would be. Being able to fish and hunt would be a requisite to survival, especially in the winter. Health was another issue. On time, at 11pm on night, my wife broke her foot (5th metatarsal) falling into a hole after visiting the latrine. Thankfully I carry an EMT bag that I've outfitted with a lot of "extras". She was fine and when we flew out, our first stop was the local hospital. . But, I digress.

We realized early that attempting to bug out to a wilderness location is fruitless. First of all, if you can drive to where you're going so can anyone else. A plane would be much better but lets face it, you can't have one standing by. Plus, with only two of you so how would you ever be vigilant for security or what if something happened to the other. No, bugging out to the wilderness is not a legitimate option. Instead, we decided to broach the subject with some good solid friends. We live in a rural setting but I could not protect my home properly from roaming crowds as we live in and old neighborhood and, again, it would only be the two of us. So, we met with four other families at my buddy's home located in a very rural area only a few miles from here on back roads. Their home is huge, has a gigantic 100 acre field in back and acres of open space around. The security there would be easy in comparison. Plus, we've all decided to contribute our food/ammo/firearms stashes in case of an emergency. If there is one, assembling at their home will be an easy and secure drive. There's also a well there. So, it would be conceivable to survive there through a winter, secure in the knowledge that our numbers, experience, and personalities would help us thwart pretty much anything that would want to bother us. I created communication cards for each of us which gives us all of our contact numbers in order to create a phone chain if possible. If not, we just know to show up. As also mentioned earlier, we'll probably have some alert to what's happening unless it hits all at once. Chances are, however, we'll know in enough time to move.

That's about as far as we can go here at this point. What I'm amazed about, however, is just how many other people are thinking similar thoughts. What the hell is happening????

Being with a small, manageable group is, I think, critical to the success. Our group covers a lot of bases talent wise. I believe our chances of surviving the first few months of a SHTF scenario would be pretty good. Sticking together on all fronts, however, would be crucial to our survival.

Rome

Unless there is an unexpected bomb that goes off and puts the city in to chaos, there will be warning signs that it's time to head to a secondary location. It's critical that the decision is made before it's too late. One example is NOLA, they had days to get out. Those who waited until it was too late to leave were stuck in a shit show with bad guys who had and didn't have badges.

There should be a contingency plan for everything.

On the bomb scenario in a big city, FFS make sure you have a "normal" looking BOB and not something in MC, etc. Or even not a huge ass black or tan backpack. Odds are you're not in college anymore and a dude walking down the road in work cloths with a 45lb 3day pack kinda stands out. Get something like a big computer bag with a nice padded strap, like some mobile IT guys carry. Or better carry both, with the bigger pack stuffed and the low key one empty and choose based on situation.

If you're in Boston and the Marathon happens all over again you need to be as nondescript as possible when the ****ing blue line brigade is trolling around on their MRAPs shooting at each other.

ETA: I also echo the small group mentality. Know your group and spend time together. People who aren't in your group, but know you have preps, lets call these "normal friends", should explicitly know not to show up at your place looking for help. Under threat of physical harm.

Last edited:
The northern woods are a wasteland. If you did big out there you would be surrounded by thousands of other people looking to live off the land-if you could get there. Some would be prepared most would not. Sorry folks its not the land of milk and honey. It's the land of ice and snow.

You need numbers. Not a lot. But enough for people to be awake at all times. The free shit army will be out in force and there are a lot of them. They will have firearms and be hungry for your stuff. Two or three people will just slow them down and piss them off. Found a house with a water source and barricade it. 12 people seems to be a good number. 1 for each wall for 8 hour shifts.

Watch drugs inc. there are armies of gangs out there already organized. Hiding in the woods with a small group is a death sentence. Especially if you have families to care for.

For anyone living close to a nuclear generating station it would be very wise to have a supply of potassium iodide tablets on hand for you and your family, especially, for any children who might be exposed to a release of radioactive materials. Anbex is very good source. They supply tablets to governments around the world.

http://www.anbex.com/

For anyone living close to a nuclear generating station it would be very wise to have a supply of potassium iodide tablets on hand for you and your family, especially, for any children who might be exposed to a release of radioactive materials. Anbex is very good source. They supply tablets to governments around the world.

http://www.anbex.com/

Plus I would keep some spiders close by. You never know when a radioactive spider will come in handy.

Back
Top Bottom