Bruin in Mansfield .40+ or 9mm??

LTCRN

NES Member
First it's the bad guys two houses away, now it's the 4 legged BIG creatures that are to close for comfort. Well prepared for both if necessary though!!!

Bruin spotted in Mansfield
MANSFIELD - Startled residents in a neighborhood near the Foxboro line reported a black bear wandering through their back yards Thursday night, prompting a quick response from police.

The report, believed to be the first sighting of a bear in the area in years, came about 8 p.m. near routes 140 and 106, not far from the Stop & Shop supermarket.

Residents living off Casa Drive reported the black bear scurrying through their yards. It was later spotted off Walnut Street.

"The call came in very distinct, there was a bear in a neighbor's back yard. They were right, it was a bear. There were two or three sightings," said Mansfield Police Sgt. Richard Brown, who also spotted the bear.

The sightings sent local police, including Police Chief Arthur O'Neill, and Massachusetts Environmental Police swarming the neighborhoods. "I saw him on the ground. He was going for a little walk in the neighborhood. It was absolutely a bear. He went into the woods," said Brown, who has hunted bear in Maine and was carrying a shotgun. "I know what one looks like."

The bear was about 80 to 100 pounds.

Brown said it was the first time he observed a bear in town in his 30 years here.

Residents were notified by the town's reverse 911 communication system, and the system was going to be activated again at 6 this morning.

"We are trying to tell them to leave it alone. If they see it, call us," Brown said. "We're just making sure we control it. All I was concerned about was the people in the neighborhood."

The location of the spotting was a surprise because there are no large wooded parcels in the area, major roadways are nearby and a shopping plaza with the Stop & Shop is only blocks away.

"It is kind of populated here," Brown said.

State environmental police weren't taken aback by the incident.

"It's wildlife. Nothing surprises you," officer Robert Forsythe said.

A bear was recently sighted in Norwood. "We have received sightings in Dover, Westwood and Norwood," Forsythe said, adding, "They go after people's bird feeders."

Shooting the bear with lethal bullets would be the last resort, the officer said.

"We usually try to haze it into some good woods," Forsythe said. "If it is near a road or heavily populated area, we try to tranquilize, if possible.

"Normally, that isn't done at nighttime," he said. "Sometimes they are still moving and you can't find them."

Black bears are common in Western and Central Massachusetts, numbering in the hundreds.

"Where are they going to go. Everything is being swallowed up" by development, Brown said. "They need food. We are coming more and more in contact with them."

Residents who observe the bear are advised to call local police at 508-261-7300 and state environmental police at 1-800-632-8075.
Return to Previous Page

Neither. Shooting a black bear with most non-magnum pistol rounds is cruel. Not to mention a wounded bear wandering around suffering is A LOT more dangerous than one thats just wandering through town eating trash.

Black Bears are about as aggressive as a patch of grass, I've yelled at them eating garbage and they run like hell!

44 Magnum is about the minimum that I would consider appropriate out of a pistol.

Last edited:
We have a lot bear sightings in my area of Central MA (4 this week in my neighborhood), this time of year. Relax, they run away for the most part, as long aren't an asshat and don't mess with them.

If you indeed shoot one, (as stated, 44 Mag minimum, ) it better be in defense of life and not just for being in your yard, or the DEP will charge you for being a retard.

Best thing this time of year is to remove bird feeders from your yard, and don't leave trash in the open containers.

I find this to be very cool. First one in Dover earlier this week and now this one. I can't wait until they find their was down here.

Don't we have a forum member who is a biologist for Mass Wildlife? I'd like to know what the black bear's range is and if they have any data on them speading.

The last time I caught a black bear getting into the trash, he was far more afraid of me than I was of him. And boy can those guys run when they're scared!

If I saw one I would shoot him immediately, with my wife's Nikon!

sweet bear story that doesn't involve a 9mm or .40 - it does involve flaming TP

I was camping at Lake Umbagog as a kid a long time ago. My dad having spent years in Alaska was used to camping with a shotgun. somehow he was convinced not to bring the gun...

about the time I'm trying to go to sleep I hear a commotion outside the tent. the adults are screaming and banging pots and pans together. They decide to yell "get out of here raccoon" so the kids don't get spooked...

My dad takes a roll of toilet paper, soaks it in white gas, lights it on fire and throws it at the bear! About the time i see a fireball whizzing through the air through the thin tent wall I start to wonder if this is actually a raccoon [laugh].

We boogied out of that camp site within a few hours of that incident. The most awesomest part of the whole story is that my mom growled at the bear before the fireball incident scared it away. As far as I'm concerned my mom is the most badass mom ever.

I hike in the blue hills just about every weekend and I've haven't seen a coyote let alone a black bear (tons of deer though). Going for an evening hike on sunday I'll be sure to bring the camera along, it'd be awesome to see one.

I'm from northeast PA and have been around black bears most of my life.
It is true that beating some pots & pans together will drive one off pretty fast and an air horn will work as well.
While it is true that they are NORMALLY fairly docile they are extremely aggressive when aggrievated and unlike a brown bear will not stop after they start an attack.
Playing dead with a black bear will only get you dead faster.
These animals loose their natural fear of humans extremely quickly, especially if they start associating food with humans.
My family home in PA has been plagued with roaming bears for several years, except the ones there are well over 350 lbs. Shoot a 100 pounder like the one seen locally and you'll be laughed out of the county. Last spring one estimated at about 450 lbs took off Mom's back porch door. The WCOs relocated it a few weeks later. The largest taken last year in Luzerne Country was 651 lbs.
As to a handgun, I'd leave the 9mm at the Mall. A cousin uses a handgun and .357 mag is minimum backup and .44 mag is the standard. He harvested a 400 lb sow with the .357, two shots - heart/lung, 30+ yards.
Personally, I use a 45-70 Guide Gun

In winter, 6 ft... [smile]
And I believe in summer less than a hundred acres (in the 20 range more likely) which is why they do so well in populated areas.

I got this from the NH F&G:
In areas with greater human interaction, bears tend to be more active at night. Adult male black bears may range up to 120 square miles, while females range over a smaller area, about 10 square miles.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/Wildlife_profiles/profile_black_bear.htm

That's quite a range!

Anyone shooting a bear with a 9M except as an absolute last ditch (the bear is about to close its jaws on your head) deserves exactly what they get.

Stupid Games/Stupid Prizes and all that...

they are around...

P1010144.jpg

[laugh2]

That's funny chit right there....

Use bear spray...It works and the bear will just stuff the gun up your ass when you miss...[shocked]

isn't bear spray just seasoning for yourself?

as a side note I was discussing dealing with problem bears while camping and I said I'd be thinking about purchasing a .44 mag or .357 mag (not sure if this is enough bang for a bear though) for camping/going upta camp and the person said:

"where would you shoot a bear if it attacked you? in the leg or something?"

[laugh2] seriously? shoot a bear in the leg ON PURPOSE?

Back
Top Bottom