Brownells Newsletter for March - Good Read!

I just found a url link for Frank's monthly newsletter for this month. It just arrived in my email on Friday (3/27/09). It's important reading for all gun owners.
http://archives.subscribermail.com/msg/deb4b378cb274596aee1f53c33025f7a.htm

Two portions are particularly notable:
A) Buy items which have the potential to become banned
B) If you're not already into reloading, get into it right away.

What's interesting is that Brownells does not sell reloading equipment. So, his advice is heart felt, and not just some marketing scheme.

Reloading supplies seem to be in shorter supply then premade bullets. I cautioned a friend that was going to do that to make sure you can get all the components to complete what you need so you don't end up with 2/3rds of what is needed.
I really wish there was an unlimited supply of bullets, primers and powder but doesen't seem to be the case.
I used to reload shotgun for skeet and was thinking of getting back into it for trap but when I looked into it a couple of years back all the guys at the trap field agreed that the savings just wasnt there any more like it used to be. Sad but true. The price of shot went nuts even before the Obama feeding frenzy.

Reloading supplies seem to be in shorter supply then premade bullets. I cautioned a friend that was going to do that to make sure you can get all the components to complete what you need so you don't end up with 2/3rds of what is needed.
I really wish there was an unlimited supply of bullets, primers and powder but doesen't seem to be the case.

Primers have been getting rough, but not impossible to find. I could have
walked out with thousands of primers at the recent Fitchburg gun show, if
I wanted to.

I haven't had trouble getting bullets, either, although some vendors I use
are reporting shortages. Lots of retail level places are getting wiped
out, though, at least with some types of bullets and primers.

Commercial ammo does seem to be available, at relatively insane
prices. Self defense ammo though, appears at first glance as though it
is being hoarded to some degree.

I used to reload shotgun for skeet and was thinking of getting back into it for trap but when I looked into it a couple of years back all the guys at the trap field agreed that the savings just wasnt there any more like it used to be. Sad but true. The price of shot went nuts even before the Obama feeding frenzy.

That's because IIRC the commodity price of lead went off the wall, for
whatever reason. Then places stopped carrying shot because people
were not gonna buy it at $50 a bag or whatever it goes for now.

-Mike

I am not trying to discourage reloading just wanted to have people think the whole thing through before investing hard earned money. I was at a local gunshop/range I hang out at and the guy that they get the reloads from was delivering a load and he was saying what a problem he was having getting supplies. He went on to say that he has hundreds of thousands of bullets and primers back orderd now. He is a commercial reloader and his thoughts were they were supplying the larger comercial reloaders before him. My thoughts were if this commercial guy that is buying and has been buying from for a long time is having problems with supplies what chance will I have getting what I need.

I am not trying to discourage reloading just wanted to have people think the whole thing through before investing hard earned money. I was at a local gunshop/range I hang out at and the guy that they get the reloads from was delivering a load and he was saying what a problem he was having getting supplies. He went on to say that he has hundreds of thousands of bullets and primers back orderd now. He is a commercial reloader and his thoughts were they were supplying the larger comercial reloaders before him. My thoughts were if this commercial guy that is buying and has been buying from for a long time is having problems with supplies what chance will I have getting what I need.

Bear in mind that commercial reloaders need an exponentially higher number of components, at certain price points in order to make any
money.

Trying to find a few thousand bullets/primers is a completely different ballgame from trying to get 10-20 thousand of them at a whack, at a wholesale price.

Not reloading because "you may not be able to get a lot of components" just seems like a poor excuse to me. These supply problems are
eventually going to taper off once the market demand is satisfied. Worse comes to worse you can get a lead furnace and start casting. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Like I said I am not trying to discourage reloading and may get into it at some time myself. For me personally I would need a space to do it that is just not avalable to me now. It can be done on the kitchen table but that would be tough with my grand daughters doing there homework there while my daughter is working.
I know for most serious shooters I talk with on the range testing out the new custom loads is as much of the fun as shooting. I really don't see the reloaders loading up a 30 round mag of 223 and blasting it off in 10 seconds knowing how long it took to reload they look at the shot placemet very carefully.

IF and when they re-institute the ban on ar15's, it's feared that they might also ban the sale of loaded rounds for the ar. That would mean that the ONLY way to get ammo for it will be to make them.

So, then reloading isn't even a make/buy economical decision. It's a necessity.

That aside, when I go to the range to shoot my AR, I don't even think about the cost of ammo that I am shooting. I reload for at least 1/2 (off) of what the cheapest 5.56 ammo costs in a store. I blow through 30 round magazine after 30 round magazine, working on my shooting accuracy, etc. The hours and hours at the reloading bench is a normal part of my weekly schedule. It's my quiet time and relaxation. Some people turn pages of a book. I crank the handle of my reloading presses.

I got way ahead on 9mm rounds. Had like 6,000 in my safe, thinking that I could "skate" for a while without having to set up for reloading that size. After a couple of months of winter shooting, I have the press set up again, and am placing another order for bullets from Berry's. It's amazing how fast you go through bullets when you are serious about shooting well (practicing well placed shots rather than shooting for the sake of shooting).

I just made some "popper" type metal targets to simulate multiple threats, and will be blasting off thousands of rounds in the next few weeks. I'm so glad I bought tons of bullets, primers and powder when I did.

I don't have the physical space to reload. I'm stocking up on everything, but I'm practicing mostly with 22's. At my local gun store, which is often not held in high regard here, the shelves were not even half full. They told me they are finding it hard to FIND ammo to be delivered.

Well I now have lots more to think about. Today I was given a RCBS press and powder measure for free! They are in great shape. Came with 9mm and 44 special dies. I shoot more 45 then anything but some 44 special out of my 44 mag.
I have heard about brass tumblers, resizing and trimming tools needed too.
Now have to figure out what more I need and how much it will cost to get me going.
Is the RCBS press and measure any good? I hear the dies for the 45 cost about $75.00 or so but haven't looked into it yet.
When I loaded shotgun I did it with an old Mec 600 Jr that wasnt much of a press but did what I needed it to.

Back
Top Bottom