Brass hounds - short rant

Las time I took my LCP to the range, I had 2 guys grabbing at my .380 brass before it hit the ground. I dont mind, as I didnt want it, but it was distracting.

I have to admit, if someone to my left is showering me with brass, sometimes I'll try and catch the brass out of the air. Just to see if I can. [laugh]

A new range is being planned here.
One of the rules I saw that was being considered is that all brass that hits the ground belongs to the range.
Im not sure it will go over well.

I've shot at public ranges (rental-type, that is) where that rule is in place. 'Course, they also sold reloaded ammo at pretty cheap prices (even considering how long ago it was!), so it was understandable.

Lots of guys use 'Sharpie' permanent markers to mark the base of their brass. I have done it, and seen a little transfer to the end of the bolt, but it cleans off easy enough. Some also use a primer sealant which looks a little like red or blue nail polish, but it us usually just a thin ring around the primer. I definitely wouldn't use anything that had any thickness to it. There was a post in this forum or maybe enos about putting stripes on the sides of brass with a sharpie - a lot easy to pick out your brass - don't have to pick it up first....

I have noticed when shooting service rifle, the guys that mark the bottom have a better chance of getting all theirs back since it is easy to pick out.

Does not work that well. On one match I lost almost all my marked brass (.45). This does not happen frequently though.

My range just opened a 200 yd lane - qualification required. So I went and qualified, shooting my AR. Shot a total of 10 rounds. Went to get my brass and 'poof'. All gone. 5 or 6 guys hanging around watching and/or waiting for their turn - no one I really know. I said "What happened to my brass?" Crickets.

Seriously, WTF?[angry] Would you take live rounds out of my bag asshat? My guess is you would.

My range just opened a 200 yd lane - qualification required. So I went and qualified, shooting my AR. Shot a total of 10 rounds. Went to get my brass and 'poof'. All gone. 5 or 6 guys hanging around watching and/or waiting for their turn - no one I really know. I said "What happened to my brass?" Crickets.

That's one reason I got a brass catcher for my AR. [laugh] Now to figure out if I can get one mounted on my M1 Carbine...

Back
Top Bottom