Brass hounds - short rant

Brass hounds really annoy the hell out of me. Last weekend I was at the range with my GF. We were shooting on lanes 1 and 2. There were a couple other shooters at the other end of the indoor range. After we had been there for about 30 minutes, one of the other shooters asked for a cease fire - said he wanted to collect his brass - But he swept in front of all the ports before I realized what he was doing. He never asked, just took a run with the squeegee.... I didn't lose much, but when I said I would get my own - he just said sorry and picked it all up anyway.

Very rude.

There's a guy who drives in to my club takes the brass from the brass buckets and leaves. From talking to other members, I think he does it every day.

I'm a brass scrounger, but I always ask first. People who don't reload are often happy to have you clean up their brass for them.

I think it's funny watching the reloading noobs eyeing the the factory .45acp shells flying out of the guns of people they know don't reload like it's gold or something.[rolleyes] Ready to pounce.

Taking the brass from someone else's shooting area if thief, pure and simply.

If the club is selling the brass from the brass bucket for scrap or to member reloaders, emptying the brass bucket is theft too.

If the club's policy is that brass-bucket brass if "free game' it's not theft, but because you have the club's permission to take it.

Now, I reload and I will collect brass from specific cartriages, but only with the shooter or the range's permission .

I've also bought buckets of "range scrap" from a range before. They offered to sell it at the rate they were getting from the scrap yard.

wow.. I have never had issue with anyone being rude, and stealing brass. I did have some guys ask, and others pick it up and hand it back to me once..

I have absolutely and completely chewed out a brass rat before. This was after me telling him multiple times to stop picking up my brass. It drives me nuts. It drives me batty. I dont reload, but have friends who do, so I give my brass to them.

Yeah, at MVGC we had someone not only steal the brass, but the took the lead several folks had dug out of the backstop. A bunch of theiving, inconsiderate bastards as far as I am concerned.

Yea I remember hearing about that when we stopped by last week with Jasper, I guess it's the same at every club. Some people just piss me off [angry]

I'll look in the bucket and if the brass has obviously been left, I'll take if if there's something good. Otherwise I only pick up my own.

wow.. I have never had issue with anyone being rude, and stealing brass. I did have some guys ask, and others pick it up and hand it back to me once..

This is the best way to make friends at your first USPSA match. I wasn't used to scoring behind the shooter, so I didn't want to jump up and paste targets in case I pasted an unscored one by mistake. Instead, I picked up brass and gave it back to the shooter. This makes guys shooting 38 supercomp and its ilk very happy. [grin]

Meh _ one was at a pay to play range - the folks next to me (old enough to e my parents) weer picking up brass - I asked if they would like mine and gave them a pile of shells.

I was promptly invited to coffee over at yon snack bar and spent more time shooting random shit than punching holes in paper.

I'd rather give mine away than have some scrounge take it - especially without asking...

This is the best way to make friends at your first USPSA match. I wasn't used to scoring behind the shooter, so I didn't want to jump up and paste targets in case I pasted an unscored one by mistake. Instead, I picked up brass and gave it back to the shooter. This makes guys shooting 38 supercomp and its ilk very happy. [grin]

And the best way to piss people off is the dweeb doing the opposite at the rifle match last weekend. Snagging EVERYONE'S brass and tucking it in his bag.

You know what I hate about brass rats?

There's NEVER one around when I really don't want to pick up the brass.

rofl. bullshit. I got on my knees for you at least twice now.

wait... that didn't come out right.

My club asked for a couple volunteers to help maintain targets at the rifle and pistol ranges. I volunteered. So every few days I go down and check if the pistol backstop needs to be changed, check if any rifle targets need changing, and... check the brass bucket to see if anyone left any brass behind. Recently I found 70 cases of .45 ACP. It felt like my birthday. :)

On the flip side I went out to Uxbridge a couple weeks ago for a pin shoot. It took an effort not to make a spectacle of myself picking up my own brass after each round I was in. I just grabbed what I could and tried not to slow things down. I ended up about 30 cases short but had a really great time. I would never pick up someone elses brass at the range. I figure if it goes in the community brass bucket it is fair game but that is it.

I usually come home from IDPA matches with more brass than I shot. It helps that there are a ton of non-reloaders shooting factory 9mm. The reloaders on the squad tend to split the excess.

OP:

You don't hate brass hounds. You hate a$$holes. And FWIW, if you didn't tell him "HEY! I reload, leave my brass alone please," you missed an opportunity to teach what's probably a newish shooter some manners. People can often be clueless. I always assume ignorance rather than bad intent and educate. THEN I call them names etc. if they do it again.

I used to be really bad- I don't mean taking anyone else's brass... I just had a hard time leaving a range with any shinny spots left sitting in the sand. [smile] Sometimes for adult humor we crap on each other for taking too much. I honestly don't think I have EVER taken anyone else's brass without them being ok with it. On the other hand when one of my fellow shooter friends was getting a little aggressive in taking more than his fair share of brass- I've been know to pocket some from his bag. [laugh] Especially when he's shooting 45 with moon clips. [rolleyes]

In recent days I've been able to get some cheap used polished brass on the internet- for a couple pennies each for my 9mm cases- I can do without the hassle/mess to be honest with you.

Las time I took my LCP to the range, I had 2 guys grabbing at my .380 brass before it hit the ground. I dont mind, as I didnt want it, but it was distracting.

And the best way to piss people off is the dweeb doing the opposite at the rifle match last weekend. Snagging EVERYONE'S brass and tucking it in his bag.

I saw that a couple of times that day. I don't reload, yet, but I do appreciate at least a "do you mind?" but, I was a visitor to the club, and didn't know anyone any better then "hey didn't I see you at the Nauset match?" so I just let it go.

I noticed some of the ammo one guy was shooting had some red paint on back of the case, I just assumed that was for reclaiming it, how do you do that with out adding fouling?

Lots of guys use 'Sharpie' permanent markers to mark the base of their brass. I have done it, and seen a little transfer to the end of the bolt, but it cleans off easy enough. Some also use a primer sealant which looks a little like red or blue nail polish, but it us usually just a thin ring around the primer. I definitely wouldn't use anything that had any thickness to it. There was a post in this forum or maybe enos about putting stripes on the sides of brass with a sharpie - a lot easy to pick out your brass - don't have to pick it up first....

I have noticed when shooting service rifle, the guys that mark the bottom have a better chance of getting all theirs back since it is easy to pick out.

Back
Top Bottom