Brass hounds - short rant

As the RO on a squad I saw it also and said something to the offender. I still didn't get much of my brass back.

Proper range etiquette the way I learned is after someone shoots at a USPSA or IDPA or other match, someone scores, someone tapes targets, someone picks up the brass. The brass goes on the range table or is handed to the shooter. When time allows, people can recover their brass from the table. If they don't want it, club members have first shot at it. After that it is fair game.

I mark my brass that I want back. At times I shoot 357 SIG and anyone that wants that brass can have it. I have 4-5 gallon pails of it. I have a bunch of 40 also but I still pick it up specially if it is my Nickel brass.

The NB club has a can for "reloaders only" and that is where the brass goes for those who wish to donate it to the guys who do reload. A buddy of mine tells me one of the guys he works with (f'n firefighter no less) was taking the brass from that bin and bringing it for scrap. I was f'n livid but he wouldn't tell me who it was...probably best. piece of shit loser!!!

I save all my brass. I don't reload yet but will at some point. Most guys are happy to give you their brass as it saves them from picking it up.

The NB club has a can for "reloaders only" and that is where the brass goes for those who wish to donate it to the guys who do reload. A buddy of mine tells me one of the guys he works with (f'n firefighter no less) was taking the brass from that bin and bringing it for scrap. I was f'n livid but he wouldn't tell me who it was...probably best. piece of shit loser!!!

What a scum bag, he is just being driven by the entitlement attitude gov workers can get.

What a scum bag, he is just being driven by the entitlement attitude gov workers can get.

rolleyes.gif

My favorite example of brass hound scumbags were the bolt gun shooters at the high power rifle matches at the Reading club (probably not members) years ago. I shot the match with an M1A as did many other people. The matches were shot from the 200 yd line so the brass was all along this line. When the match was over and the line declared safe, shooters could go down range to collect their ejected brass. A lot of the bolt gun shooters would go downrange and help themselves to other peoples brass. Real scum.

PS This post is not intended to reflect badly on the Reading people. They ran a great match and could not be held responsible for these brass thieves.

When I read the OP I thought it was a different complaint. At a range I used to go to, a guy showed up once and walked down the 100 yard range picking up brass, slowly walking to look for it. I packed up and left because I couldn't shoot anymore, the guy didn't even have shooting gear with him, just a coat with big pockets.

For me, its simple. I don't charge for the brass and I don't buy brass so when I run out of brass the ammo stops. Period. Still, there are some (even here) that rip me off and then a few of those have the nerve to ask me for more ammo or ask me to order them components. 'Course, I'll never run out of ammo for me[smile]

fortunately, at the range i belong to, it seems more often then not, the range buckets are full, never had anyone steal my brass, or even ask for my brass. the range buckets seem emptier at times, but they still have brass in them.

If someone started taking my brass I would speak up, no way would i just watch it happen.

When I read the OP I thought it was a different complaint. At a range I used to go to, a guy showed up once and walked down the 100 yard range picking up brass, slowly walking to look for it. I packed up and left because I couldn't shoot anymore, the guy didn't even have shooting gear with him, just a coat with big pockets.

that pissed me off reading it! I would call him out.

now my question for everyone else is that, can you see their range badge? or is it just some Joe schmo getting through the gates stealing for scrap.

Disclaimer: my range seems free of scumbag brass stealers, this is not a invite.

Usually they're members which should make it easier to boot them from the club when they start stealing but it never seems to happen or if it does it's slower than it should be. At MVGC and Braintree you need to be a member to get access into the clubs, and at Braintree I'm sure you've listened to plenty of my rants before. I don't care if they take the brass to reload, but usually the people who take it all don't even shoot [angry] Which means either scrapping it or selling it back to us for profit [sad2]

fortunately, at the range i belong to, it seems more often then not, the range buckets are full, never had anyone steal my brass, or even ask for my brass. the range buckets seem emptier at times, but they still have brass in them.

If someone started taking my brass I would speak up, no way would i just watch it happen.

now my question for everyone else is that, can you see their range badge? or is it just some Joe schmo getting through the gates stealing for scrap.

Disclaimer: my range seems free of scumbag brass stealers, this is not a invite.

This is a big problem at my club as well. Luckily, most of the time people will ask me and I have only had one guy try to swipe it. Whenever I am there with other people present, I always make sure to pick up the first few so that others will know I am saving my brass. There is a guy that I see almost every day I shoot, who comes down to the range strictly to raid the brass buckets. He must be selling it, since i have never seen him shooting...

This is a big problem at my club as well. Luckily, most of the time people will ask me and I have only had one guy try to swipe it. Whenever I am there with other people present, I always make sure to pick up the first few so that others will know I am saving my brass. There is a guy that I see almost every day I shoot, who comes down to the range strictly to raid the brass buckets. He must be selling it, since i have never seen him shooting...

Same, what club do you shoot at?

Lots of guys use 'Sharpie' permanent markers to mark the base of their brass. I have done it, and seen a little transfer to the end of the bolt, but it cleans off easy enough. Some also use a primer sealant which looks a little like red or blue nail polish, but it us usually just a thin ring around the primer. I definitely wouldn't use anything that had any thickness to it. There was a post in this forum or maybe enos about putting stripes on the sides of brass with a sharpie - a lot easy to pick out your brass - don't have to pick it up first....

I have noticed when shooting service rifle, the guys that mark the bottom have a better chance of getting all theirs back since it is easy to pick out.

ive been called a brass whore on may occasions (i think someone might have put a "brasswhore" sticker on my locker at my gun club), but never in my life have i gone out of my way to scrounge brass WHILE people are shooting. i have enough 9mm and .45acp to last me for YEARS at this point, so i typically leave those when i find them, but i'm always looking for .38sp / .357mag. .223? i dont even look at it if its been left on a range (i have no history on it). i shoot NRA Highpower,so my ammo is important to me. i buy 1x fired LC for shortline ammo (and do 100% of the prep myself), and brand new Winchester brass for my 600yd match ammo (practice is a mix of RP and Winchester brass). short line is marked with a red sharpie, and long range is marked with a blue sharpie. makes it easy to pick out and seperate. i will say, as a rule, highpower shooters will NOT touch anyone elses brass (lets face it, we KNOW what goes into precision rifle ammo, and it becomes a "golden rule" situation). ive even had people who make it forward of the firing line before i did grab all my brass for me, and leave it in a nice neat little pile on the grass (after sorting their own out)

For me, its simple. I don't charge for the brass and I don't buy brass so when I run out of brass the ammo stops. Period. Still, there are some (even here) that rip me off and then a few of those have the nerve to ask me for more ammo or ask me to order them components. 'Course, I'll never run out of ammo for me[smile]

Yup...Allen provides a GREAT service for many of the shooters here. Paul and I try to check for any extra .380 brass for him at each range we are at. I know he is always looking for .380 and .223. Finding .223 to bring to him is almost impossible though. I will be making a trip up to see him in the next couple of weeks to bring back a bunch of the .223 we just shot he made for us (pisser reloads too) and some .380 we have been able to find and have shot. Anyone who lives in the southcoast area that would like to donate to the qmmo brass fund let me know and I will pick them up from you and deliver them.

I will have to see when he is not going to be in his car for his "lovely" commute though.[wink]

Still, there are some (even here) that rip me off and then a few of those have the nerve to ask me for more ammo or ask me to order them components.

I'm confused. How can people on here rip you off? When you're at the range?

[shrug] I wasn't in the mood to argue on that day.

Last fall my son and I were at the range for a few hours...I don't reload but save the brass anyway knowing alot of my friends do.My son was picking up brass around the area and so happened to pick up some .45acp casings..there was a few other shooters there and my son grabbed some of thier brass not really knowing the brass rat rules(my fault).One of the other shooters were pretty rude to my son abou t it...said something like..Hey! don't touch whats not yours...I even spoke to my son about it siding with the grouch..not to touch the brass unless you ask ect ect.

The guy ended up loading up and was about to leave when I noticed he left all his brass and a soda/spit can at the bench he was at....I came unglued(insert expletives and shouting here)...but the guy picked up all his brass and his spatooie can and I apologized to my son for taking the dickheads side.

Last edited:
I like to stand next to complete strangers at the range holding a metal pail one foot from the right side of their head and catch every hot shell that comes out of their ejection port. For each shell I yell "Ka-ching!!" at the top of my lungs. [grin]

No really I do save brass but only to give to those who I know can use it. I have a couple cardboard boxes filled with every type of caliber except .22. Maybe someday I'll start reloading but for now I just save it for friends.

My range is usually not crowded but if someone is shooting a semi auto of some sort I will help him/her pick up their brass after each string. When shooting my semi auto rifle/pistols I bring ammo that are loaded in one brand of brass that way I can pick out /up my own brass. We have a separate outdoor range where it seems few people pick up their brass. I've picked up a fair supply of 45 auto brass over the years,but I have to stop and think every oce in a while as I have limited space for storing the stuff.

a club that I belong to hold ccw classes and they collect all the brass after the class leaves, then any club member that wants to 'donate to the club' can have it. I was given 4000 38 spl and 2000 45 acp last month for my donation. We have a junior nra rifle program up and running and I donated 5000 rounds of 22 lr. everyone was happy.

Back
Top Bottom