Brand and Caliber issued to PD

My guess is he is trying to pull a Massad Ayoob, who -- at least used to -- suggest people carry what their local PDs do in case a DA tried to argue that a self-defense shooter used some "exotic extra killy hollow points" or similar.

In other words, if the prosecution tried to claim you used a super killy gun or ammo you could counter that it's the same thing your local PD uses, therefore not exotic or special.

I know at least one of the state PD uses Winchester ranger. Our local PD called me last winter for a deer that was hit and a passing statie had shot it. When I was skinning it I thought there was some piece of the vehicle stuck in it but it turned out to be the staties hollow point. After looking online at different expanded ammo I came up with ranger ammo and later was told that's what they use. Pretty crappy ammo to stop just under the skin of a deer. No penetration at all. That told me a lot about that ammo.
20201230_153519.jpg
20201230_153637.jpg

Just keep in mind that whatever brand/caliber of firearm is used, along with their brand of ammunition, and gear, is mostly budget driven and NOT performance driven. When a police department makes a switch, it's usually because someone made then a deal that was too good to pass up, and not performance related.

I know at least one of the state PD uses Winchester ranger. Our local PD called me last winter for a deer that was hit and a passing statie had shot it. When I was skinning it I thought there was some piece of the vehicle stuck in it but it turned out to be the staties hollow point. After looking online at different expanded ammo I came up with ranger ammo and later was told that's what they use. Pretty crappy ammo to stop just under the skin of a deer. No penetration at all. That told me a lot about that ammo.
View attachment 511533
View attachment 511534
Didn't even go through a nitrile glove!

. When a police department makes a switch, it's usually because someone made then a deal that was too good to pass up, and not performance related.
or they had to arm for the weakest worst shooter they needed on the Dept to meet diversity quotas

Hence the Fortay Short and Weak.

There was a time Glock, for all intents and purposes was giving guns away to LE

other manufacturers followed.... IMHO it is very rare that a Dept pays a lot for the guns... the leather and accessories are another story.

Some departments are swapping out for .45ACP, some are going back to 9MM, some are staying with Fortay

I can't think of any off the top of my head that are using 10mm or .357Sig

9mm Fanboys “ the forty is short and week….tehehehe”

also 9mmm Fanboys “ the forty is tooo snappay! So so snappay I can’t make follow up shots”

Meanwhile the discerning gentlemen who refuse to compromise be like…
A071B5CD-773A-4D46-B5A3-EE62E12799E0.gif

Last edited:
My guess is he is trying to pull a Massad Ayoob, who -- at least used to -- suggest people carry what their local PDs do in case a DA tried to argue that a self-defense shooter used some "exotic extra killy hollow points" or similar.

In other words, if the prosecution tried to claim you used a super killy gun or ammo you could counter that it's the same thing your local PD uses, therefore not exotic or special.

Except that saying "I use what the police use" is a great way to get portrayed as a sheep dog wannabe with fantasies of shooting brown people for fun.

Paul Harrell, who has been involved in one or two DGUs and had to take one to trial and was acquitted of the charges, rightly pointed out that anything someone does is going to be subject to scrutiny by a prosecutor. Look at the Grafton road rage shooting that happened - the fact that the shooter was in a polyamorous relationship came out on here.

NH road rage shooting

I think Mas's advice is a bit dated and not reflective of how most juries, at least in Mass or CT where OP mentioned, would view a defendant.

Oh, and your meme posting history (and probably posting history on here) has a good shot of being put up on a big screen in front of the judge and jury.

I put the question out there out of curiosity as to how many were actually switching to 9mm or 45acp

Local police, at least from what I've heard from small town local police, get the second line stuff. Boston/larger cities are different and you should find that info online. Looks like Boston still uses .40S&W per Wikipedia.

Except that saying "I use what the police use" is a great way to get portrayed as a sheep dog wannabe with fantasies of shooting brown people for fun.

Paul Harrell, who has been involved in one or two DGUs and had to take one to trial and was acquitted of the charges, rightly pointed out that anything someone does is going to be subject to scrutiny by a prosecutor. Look at the Grafton road rage shooting that happened - the fact that the shooter was in a polyamorous relationship came out on here.

NH road rage shooting

I think Mas's advice is a bit dated and not reflective of how most juries, at least in Mass or CT where OP mentioned, would view a defendant.

Oh, and your meme posting history (and probably posting history on here) has a good shot of being put up on a big screen in front of the judge and jury.
We're also hopefully all aware of the low-hanging fruit like using a Punisher striker plate cover or the guy with the "You're F*cked" dustcover on his AR, etc. All can and will be used against you.

That's a level of paranoia that I will thankfully never get to.

Are there examples of prosecutors using that as a tactic to justify this paranoia ?

We're also hopefully all aware of the low-hanging fruit like using a Punisher striker plate cover or the guy with the "You're F*cked" dustcover on his AR, etc. All can and will be used against you.

What did that lead to ?

Nowhere.

Pretty sure that was the media making a big deal out of that.

That guy is still free to execute whoever he wants under the color of authority.

What did that lead to ?

Nowhere.

Pretty sure that was the media making a big deal out of that.

That guy is still free to execute whoever he wants under the color of authority.
Right, I'm not saying it will or won't sway a jury, just that the prosecution will try to use it.

And as far as I heard that guy with the dust cover is collecting "PTSD trauma" payments and is considered disabled now, and no longer working.

Right, I'm not saying it will or won't sway a jury, just that the prosecution will try to use it.

And as far as I heard that guy with the dust cover is collecting "PTSD trauma" payments and is considered disabled now, and no longer working.

Isn't that the guy with all the tats and Oakleys who executed that guy on his knees in a hotel room hallway ?

I know training I heard "9mm Golden Saber" and "9mm Gold Dot" lot since 2013, which seemed like the big push of ditching 40sw... Though I saw 40sw Gold Dot a bit too. When we did CBP training it was P2000s with MA style triggers shooting Speer Gold Dot.

That's a level of paranoia that I will thankfully never get to.

Are there examples of prosecutors using that as a tactic to justify this paranoia ?
An example was a 10mm case. (Fish)

not saying it is something that you should put thought in but it’s a real thing.

Isn't that the guy with all the tats and Oakleys who executed that guy on his knees in a hotel room hallway ?
I don't know about tats but yes, Brailsford who killed Daniel Shaver. He was fired but then rehired later so he could be eligible for a pension, but he wasn't put on "patrol" or whatever during that time.

"As a result, Brailsford was unanimously approved to be retired on medical grounds. Brailsford was also given a pension of $2,500 per month."

I don't know about tats but yes, Brailsford who killed Daniel Shaver. He was fired but then rehired later so he could be eligible for a pension, but he wasn't put on "patrol" or whatever during that time.

"As a result, Brailsford was unanimously approved to be retired on medical grounds. Brailsford was also given a pension of $2,500 per month."
good lord, thanks for the info.

I guess it's good that I happen to carry LE ammo in my carry gun, right lol ?

Back
Top Bottom