• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Today had to have been the most uncomfortable range trip I've had at BRP thus far.

A gentleman was having trouble with his new AR. He went over to the group of RO's today to ask for some help. One of the ROs came over, safety checked the weapon and started to manually cycle it. Ran his finger across the bolt carrier and asked the owner if it was a new rifle.
The owner told him it was and that he had read in the manual that it came prelubricated and he only cleaned the barrel of any excess lubricant.
The RO puffed his chest and began lecturing the gentleman about how it needs lubricant, and asked the owner if he had any - which he did not.

At that point, the RO returned the rifle to the firing bench, and walked over to his vehicle to grab some lube. Returning, he began to field strip the rifle without any consent or instruction to the owner. Much to my surprise, the lubricant of choice was WD-40. The RO then SOAKED (sprayed) the CH, carrier and bolt with WD-40. Reassembled the rifle, manually cycled the rifle.. Then he looked down the bore of the assembled rifle and some how determined that it needed some WD-40 sprayed down the barrel, from the muzzle. He also briefly swept the firing line with this little performance.

He then grabbed a mag, loaded the rifle and squeezed off a round - then gave it back to the owner and told him in a number of words that he's good to go.
I sat there dumbfounded as to what I had just witnessed.

I hope this isn't a regular occurrence with this RO and he was just showing off in front of the other ROs there, but needless to say, it made me feel very uncomfortable.
A different RO mentioned to the same owner, that he could get a yellow "plug" (chamber flag) to show his weapon is safe during a cease fire. (I'm not really sure why this came up.)

I took the chamber flag out of my rifle and offered it to the gentleman - since I have a bunch from ordering a pack from the CMP. The gentleman (and what I assume to be his son) asked me about my rifle.. I explained that some folks run their ARs wet, others dry - a happy medium I find is usually best. I told him I was surprised that the RO used WD-40 on the rifle; and the owner shared that he felt the same way.

I wasn't going to challenge the ROs actions.. I didn't feel like making enemies today.

Today had to have been the most uncomfortable range trip I've had at BRP thus far.

A gentleman was having trouble with his new AR. He went over to the group of RO's today to ask for some help. One of the ROs came over, safety checked the weapon and started to manually cycle it. Ran his finger across the bolt carrier and asked the owner if it was a new rifle.
The owner told him it was and that he had read in the manual that it came prelubricated and he only cleaned the barrel of any excess lubricant.
The RO puffed his chest and began lecturing the gentleman about how it needs lubricant, and asked the owner if he had any - which he did not.

At that point, the RO returned the rifle to the firing bench, and walked over to his vehicle to grab some lube. Returning, he began to field strip the rifle without any consent or instruction to the owner. Much to my surprise, the lubricant of choice was WD-40. The RO then SOAKED (sprayed) the CH, carrier and bolt with WD-40. Reassembled the rifle, manually cycled the rifle.. Then he looked down the bore of the assembled rifle and some how determined that it needed some WD-40 sprayed down the barrel, from the muzzle. He also briefly swept the firing line with this little performance.

He then grabbed a mag, loaded the rifle and squeezed off a round - then gave it back to the owner and told him in a number of words that he's good to go.

I hope this isn't a regular occurrence with this RO and he was just showing off in front of the other ROs there, but needless to say, it made me feel very uncomfortable.
A different RO mentioned to the same owner, that he could get a yellow "plug" (chamber flag) to show his weapon is safe during a cease fire. (I'm not really sure why this came up.)

I took the chamber flag out of my rifle and offered it to the gentleman - since I have a bunch from ordering a pack from the CMP. The gentleman (and what I assume to be his son) asked me about my rifle.. I explained that some folks run their ARs wet, others dry - a happy medium I find is usually best. I told him I was surprised that the RO used WD-40 on the rifle; and the owner shared that he felt the same way.

I wasn't going to challenge the ROs actions.. I didn't feel like making enemies today.

I don't know any of the 5 ROs on the last list of assigned ROs that I received (which is >2 years ago).

If all you have is WD-40, it is better than nothing. I haven't used the stuff for many years but back then it never gave me any problems but I typically shot and cleaned the few guns I owned each week.

You can ask 15 gun owner what gun lubrication do they use,and you can get 15 different answers.From motor oil to frog lube.You will have many people on here post what they use,and think is the best lube out there and why it is.Toss the dice pick a lube.

There is one range officer that I have also had a bad experience with, probably the same one.

To balance this out I will say the vast majority of the range officers are excellent and bar the one I have always had a positive experience interacting with them. Going to far as to help me troubleshoot a rifle.

You can ask 15 gun owner what gun lubrication do they use,and you can get 15 different answers.From motor oil to frog lube.You will have many people on here post what they use,and think is the best lube out there and why it is.Toss the dice pick a lube.

I don't think his choice of WD40 is, on its own, the issue here, though if it was my brand new, factory lubed gun I'd be pretty pissed.

I'm not a member at BRP, Yet. (Orientation 3/13) Happily this is the first real questionable experience I've seen written about this club.

It's a good club that's convenient for lots of people. It's got its negatives for sure (no drawing from a holster, outdoor range is closed unless an RO is there, you can basically only shoot while seated or standing still, etc.), but they're all there for a reason I guess. The indoor range is pretty nice as they go.

I've heard good things and seemed nice the one time I visited with a co-worker. It will be nice to visit after work in Randolph. I'll probably look closer to home for weekends

Is the brp.org web contact form not working? I tried twice to get my club affiliation update for CMP, but both went unanswered.

I also emailed Ross at his brp.org email address, and it bounced back with 'Recipient not found' error.

Is the brp.org web contact form not working? I tried twice to get my club affiliation update for CMP, but both went unanswered.

I also emailed Ross at his brp.org email address, and it bounced back with 'Recipient not found' error.

I just sent you an Email.

I've never found the club assigned Email addresses (@brp.org) reliable so I no longer use them.

I'm not a member at BRP, Yet. (Orientation 3/13) Happily this is the first real questionable experience I've seen written about this club.

Don't get me wrong, don't let this observation change your mind. The facilities are great. RO's have been great. At the same time, feel free to be assertive in the event a RO wants to do something to your firearm.

My post was less about the WD40 and more of the show boating, cockiness and disregard of some essential rules of gun safety.

While he may know that the rifle is clear and safe, anyone further down the line could've thought this guy was off his rocker and a serious threat to safety if they had just glanced up.

I also thought there was a rule about stripping a rifle down on the firing line? But I may be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW INFO:

As an experiment, the kitchen is open now on Saturdays and Sundays at 10AM. I can tell you that the sausage and the chili are excellent. Today was the first day and they will keep it going if it makes financial sense.

No worries Gillham, I took it as intended and I'm still looking forward to my orientation. My kids are also hoping to join the juniors program. But it's always good to hear both types of feedback. I assume at some point it becomes something a CRO or board would want to hear in case there is a pattern. (Not just in this case but at any club.)

Joe Norman - a GREAT GUY. I was at the outdoor range preparing to shoot my Remington 700 for the first time. I removed
the bolt and looked down the barrel. I had a obstruction in the bore. I had nothing with me to remove it. The RO
called down to the clubhouse and told me to go see Joe. I explained the situation to Joe. We went upstairs and he
ran a cleaning rod down the barrel and removed the fouling. Turned out to be the screw on cap
to my laser bore site. He saved me a trip home and I really appreciate him taking the time to help a fellow shooter.

As long as I live in this state I will be a member of the Braintree Rifle and Pistol club.

Looking forward to orientation tomorrow morning. Coming from Boston Gun and Rifle, I'm looking forward to shooting more rifle.

For everyone's benefit, it seems that at least on Saturday mornings, the breakfasts didn't go over well enough for the guy to continue them (he wasn't a club volunteer, but someone trying to make a few bucks). Don't know about Sundays as I never go there Sunday mornings.

I was there for orientation yesterday. Amazingly well run considering the size of the group they had to get through. I'm amazed "Zoo" had any voice left.
Wish I could have stayed and enjoyed the great weather with some actual shooting.

Aaron[MA];4944337 said:
That IS a horrible quote.

AA

As president of the club, I think he sees making sure that BRP doesn't get negative publicity as more important than being aggressive about rights. For my part, while I was slightly disappointed by the quote, I also thought that it's a much better statement to have out there in the event of a future lawsuit than a more aggressive statement might be.

I never knew that BR&P had a "motto" and I've been a member for 17 years.

"Potential evildoers" is in what MGL? Never heard that one before.

Does Braintree PD also require DNA & urine samples too? That seems to be about the only things missing there. WOW!

My father and I are looking at joining BRP. Do you guys have a family option or would we have to apply separately? I have a few friends that will sponsor us, but they weren't sure if there was an option. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom