Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

If you set up webcams make sure they are in a members only part of the website for security reasons.

I think the first phase would be to get a camera to just show the gate to the outdoor range. If the white sign is off to the sign or turned around - outdoor range is open. If the white sign is in front of the gate - outdoor range is closed.

I have no clue, and I don't represent the club policies in any shape or form - but is viewing the inside the range a privacy concern of theirs - or are there people leaving a mess in the range and we need to hold them accountable? Not a clue - not my responsibility. I know for work I do surveillance cameras, and wiring the place up with thousand dollar cameras would be sweet. But Dropcam answers this for $200, flat. The only thing about the public stream, is that it's just that, public. Even if you put it on the members part of the website, once you have the link, you have the link. I don't know enough about it to say whether or not you could password protect it and just share the login with the BRP community.

The current system is on the 2nd flr of the new building. No you can't see the gate from there. Nor can you see it from the 2nd flr of the old building. I'm not sure that you can see it from the window in the old building either. My take is that it would have to be under the eaves of the old building.

I don't think that the BOD would be keen on saving the stream, merely live feed and not saved is likely to be an easier sell to the BOD.

Turns out that I have to skip Monday's meeting to attend another important meeting elsewhere.

I was going to recommend a Dropcam as well. They're pretty versatile for not a lot of money. There may be weatherproof housing for them if we need the cam to be outdoors.

Sent using Tapatalk

Turns out eBay has outdoor housings/gooseneck mounts for like $50.

ETA: There's a gooseneck model, which appears to just be a wire, wrapped in some kind of metal protective sleeve - which is likely to be easily moved. You'd still have to buy the housing for an addt'l $50ish
Then there's a screw in housing model (no gooseneck), which would be a pain to "aim". Though with 130 degree field of view, I'm not sure it matters - but would catch member's cars.

Also the issue of getting a WiFi signal to the far corner of the old range, and a power plug. Extension cord would work - and a really long USB cable fed back into the storage area of the old range? Wish I had one to play around with.

Last edited:
Would powerline networking work?

The club is not bashful about spending money. You just have to make a convincing case wrt benefit or need. What will not fly is keeping videos of cars/people coming and going. BOD has discussed it before and wants no part of the "big brother" management of the club members.

b628d45842e7ec97ecb9d2d3316b3101.jpg

In case anyone was curious what the conditions were this past weekend.
Lanes 6-10 are the only ones really open, since down range at 50 - those are the only shoveled (snow blown) target stands.

My shooting mat was useless because there was definitely no prone going on with 3 feet of snow in front of you :)

Still solid work though - appreciate Ross doing that. Hopefully we can get to 100 yards soon.

As for the camera, it looks like the new clubhouse, 2nd floor, can see the outdoor range gate from the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The walk down for lanes 6-10 actually looks much improved over the last time I was there (before all the snow fell). It's certainly drier.

Silly question, but do you need to bring anything with you to hang paper targets at the indoor range? There was a place I went to with a friend where he had to bring his own paper "clamps" to attach the targets.

Silly question, but do you need to bring anything with you to hang paper targets at the indoor range? There was a place I went to with a friend where he had to bring his own paper "clamps" to attach the targets.

Not on the indoor ranges. They all have clips unless some careless shooter blew them off the hangers.

Outdoors you need a stapler and staples.

Not on the indoor ranges. They all have clips unless some careless shooter blew them off the hangers.

Outdoors you need a stapler and staples.

Do you need to bring cardboard backings for the outdoor range as well? I've been a member for a little under a year now but only shoot in the indoor range. Would love to give the outdoor ranges a try when the weather gets better.

No we don't use cardboard at BR&P. It is homesote (sp?) that is screwed to the frame for all the targets on the outdoor ranges (and clips to hold your targets on the indoor ranges). But thanks for the offer.

Welcome (in advance) to the club and I hope you enjoy it as many of us do.

Homasote! I wonder if you recycle the old stuff from the indoor ranges... Hmm.

I was out on the outdoor rifle range last sunday (3/22/15) for a few hours and the path to the 50yd targets was under a few inches of water. I had no problem with my Gore-Tex Redwing boots, but a couple of the other kids who were shooting with me came back with boots full of snow/water (or refused to even attempt due to wearing loafers...). The pack was hard enough at this point such that most of them elected to walk on the snow to avoid the puddle. There was still a couple feet of white stuff on the deck, so expect Lake BRP to expand rapidly in the coming week. Bring your galoshes or a decent set of water-resistant boots if you plan on hanging targets with dry feet.

I may also have access to a rowboat, if the club doesn't mind providing the USCG-required life preserver and flares.

I'm very much excited to be a part of this club and can't wait to find out some ways to volunteer.

Indoors we use clips, no "backboards". Homasote is only used outdoors and it's pretty badly shot up before replacement.

Yes, the rifle range is a low spot and there are times like now where hip-waders are useful. [wink]

During my time on Saturday as RO, there was only 1 brave soul who ventured to shoot (at 100 yds no less). He had a new CMP M1 he wanted to sight in. So this mean old RO volunteered to be a shot-spotter for him rather than just standing around doing nothing. During the hours I was there 3 cars pulled in looked at the short pistol range and left. The short pistol range had some paths to the targets (~30% of the range) cleared and that range doesn't accumulate water like the rifle range. Someone tried to get a snowblower out to the 100 yd targets but couldn't make it thru the mud/slop along the way, so only the 50 yd targets have a path as of Saturday.

Welcome to the club. Come to members meetings (free dinner at ~5:30PM, 2nd Monday) and learn what goes on, stay on afterwards if you want to be a RO (our RO meeting follows each members meeting). See the club secretary if you want to volunteer to help at the CMP matches (3rd Saturday, Usually March thru December) or the "hippy that looks like Jesus" [rofl] if you want to help out with the Juniors program.(Friday nights)

When did the rifle range shut down? Was planning on confirming my zero today for the excruciathlon. :(

Any other local ranges allow guests?

Huh?

Maybe because you need a boat to get to the targets??

Other than the RO not being available I'm unaware of any reason that the outdoor ranges would be closed today.

Huh?

Maybe because you need a boat to get to the targets??

Other than the RO not being available I'm unaware of any reason that the outdoor ranges would be closed today.

The brp website has posted that the outdoor pistol and rifle ranges are closed for major construction until further notice

The brp website has posted that the outdoor pistol and rifle ranges are closed for major construction until further notice

Very interesting. I'm an RO and had no idea, still have no idea what might be going on there since I'm sure that the snow hasn't all disappeared yet.

No, I just got an Email from the CRO, all the outdoor ranges (except archery and trap) are closed for the next week or two. There was a plan to upgrade the berms, I just didn't expect that it would be done now (before all snow is gone).

I recently joined Braintree R&P Club, went to the orientation and got my badge. I went to the range this past weekend for the first time, seems like a nice club. I was able to go with a couple friends and try out a few different handguns.
I also bought my first gun this week, an HK VP9. I'll have to get back over there this week to try it out!

Someone please tell me about the Sunday swap meet.

Almost nobody knows about it. Not posted in club as of Monday's meeting, not posted on website. Merely the Email we got and a brief mention at Monday's meeting. Based on that and the results of last year's swap meet, I'm not wasting my time sitting there with no customers and not selling anything. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom