• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Anyone ever get told they can't pick up their brass in front of the firing line during a cease fire??

Happened to me yesterday morning. I let it stew for a bit before I asked him about it. He said no one is allowed in front of the firing line except for those hanging targets.

So I whipped open my rule book last night (Print version 2009) and #14 in the cease fire section says I can pick up brass in front of my bench during a cease fire. Anything behind my bench (implying in front of the yellow line) can be picked up during a normal course of fire.

So - who do I tell to get this guy educated? Or if by chance I see him again, educate him on my own time? The other, younger, range officer didn't say a peep (he heard the whole thing) - though he did offer some comments on why my piston AR wasn't cycling - which agreed with my suspicions.

Anyone ever get told they can't pick up their brass in front of the firing line during a cease fire??

Happened to me yesterday morning. I let it stew for a bit before I asked him about it. He said no one is allowed in front of the firing line except for those hanging targets.

So I whipped open my rule book last night (Print version 2009) and #14 in the cease fire section says I can pick up brass in front of my bench during a cease fire. Anything behind my bench (implying in front of the yellow line) can be picked up during a normal course of fire.

So - who do I tell to get this guy educated? Or if by chance I see him again, educate him on my own time? The other, younger, range officer didn't say a peep (he heard the whole thing) - though he did offer some comments on why my piston AR wasn't cycling - which agreed with my suspicions.

That's not a rule. Some range officers tend to make up their own rules, which can be very annoying but it is the range officer's discretion how the range is run during his duty. Just playing devil's advocate: Let's say the range has 20+ shooters on the line, he may want everyone behind the line so that he can better keep track of everyone.

I agree that you should be able to pick up your brass during a ceasefire. The range officer schedule is posted in the new club house. For some of the range officers that make their own rules, I would just avoid his schedule.

That's not a rule. Some range officers tend to make up their own rules, which can be very annoying but it is the range officer's discretion how the range is run during his duty. Just playing devil's advocate: Let's say the range has 20+ shooters on the line, he may want everyone behind the line so that he can better keep track of everyone.

I agree that you should be able to pick up your brass during a ceasefire. The range officer schedule is posted in the new club house. For some of the range officers that make their own rules, I would just avoid his schedule.

That's what I do and I'm an RO at BR&P.

To answer the question of who to complain to, send an Email to the CRO, Joe will take care of it. OR see him at the club, he's there every afternoon, either in the new clubhouse or upstairs in the old clubhouse (the club gun shop).

You were obviously there yesterday morning. I don't know any of the 3 ROs listed for that shift. None of them are the hardasses that would cause me to avoid their shift, I suspect that they don't know any better and education would do the trick. If you had your book with you, you could have solved the problem on the spot. I do know that all 3 afternoon ROs would know better!

Last edited:
That's what I do and I'm an RO at BR&P.

To answer the question of who to complain to, send an Email to the CRO, Joe will take care of it. OR see him at the club, he's there every afternoon, either in the new clubhouse or upstairs in the old clubhouse (the club gun shop).

You were obviously there yesterday morning. I don't know any of the 3 ROs listed for that shift. None of them are the hardasses that would cause me to avoid their shift, I suspect that they don't know any better and education would do the trick. If you had your book with you, you could have solved the problem on the spot. I do know that all 3 afternoon ROs would know better!

I don't his name, but the afternoon shift.. Guy with the longish shaggy 80's hair. He's a cool dude. Helped me at my CMP match at BRP. Need to see if I can get an updated rule book.

As for the morning shift, he said that the rule he was enforcing had been brought up before - I don't recall if he said if it was at a RO meeting. I'll be sure to start marking pages on the rule book and keeping it at arms length.

They called another cease fire that morning too with me walking near the bench, no courtesy 'hey we're going to call a cease fire to do targets' - some members really irk me at BRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't his name, but the afternoon shift.. Guy with the longish shaggy 80's hair. He's a cool dude. Helped me at my CMP match at BRP. Need to see if I can get an updated rule book.

As for the morning shift, he said that the rule he was enforcing had been brought up before - I don't recall if he said if it was at a RO meeting. I'll be sure to start marking pages on the rule book and keeping it at arms length.

They called another cease fire that morning too with me walking near the bench, no courtesy 'hey we're going to call a cease fire to do targets' - some members really irk me at BRP.

The 2nd shift crew is two women and Ken. Ken assists with the CMP shoots and all three of them are very knowledgeable. Gen does or did compete in the pistol team and Jessica also assists on CMP and was the Senior Member for the past year.

The 1st shift crew is Chris, Nate and Ed and although I may know them on sight, I can't relate the names to faces.

As for cease fires, it is up to the shooters to call cease fires, it is NOT the RO's responsibility. Although many shooters expect us to do so, and I do on occasion I always point out that it is there responsibility to do so AND they should walk down the line and tell each shooter that they want to call a cease fire AFTER each shooter finishes shooting whatever is loaded in their guns. ONLY "emergency cease fires" are done "RIGHT NOW!" Some folks don't get that and anyone can and should educate them.

The 2nd shift crew is two women and Ken. Ken assists with the CMP shoots and all three of them are very knowledgeable. Gen does or did compete in the pistol team and Jessica also assists on CMP and was the Senior Member for the past year.

The 1st shift crew is Chris, Nate and Ed and although I may know them on sight, I can't relate the names to faces.

As for cease fires, it is up to the shooters to call cease fires, it is NOT the RO's responsibility. Although many shooters expect us to do so, and I do on occasion I always point out that it is there responsibility to do so AND they should walk down the line and tell each shooter that they want to call a cease fire AFTER each shooter finishes shooting whatever is loaded in their guns. ONLY "emergency cease fires" are done "RIGHT NOW!" Some folks don't get that and anyone can and should educate them.

Good to know, I guess I'll be doing a lot of education. Thanks for the input Len

Avoid their schedule? Sorry I paid my dues and I should have to avoid MY club to avoid power tripping Ro's. This is exactly why I am not a member there anymore.

Hell, one of the RO's thinks he enforces Mass compliance. What a joke. Now there are some great guys there, but having to avoid the bad ones is not why I paid good money to use the club. I know I have said this before here, but I just want people to know my experience.

With that said, their indoor range is second to none in the south shore. Could be a great club, just need to hit the reset on some of the ROs

I understand that this club has a very large membership,and in that membership you have some people that were given rules just like everyone one else but don't follow them. along with the people that want to close the club down, I understand the need for RO'S on the outside ranges.I am a life member of BRP, but I don't use the outside range anymore because of some of the power hungry RO'S. Aside from that I still like BRP,and love the 24 hour indoor range.

I understand that this club has a very large membership,and in that membership you have some people that were given rules just like everyone one else but don't follow them. along with the people that want to close the club down, I understand the need for RO'S on the outside ranges.I am a life member of BRP, but I don't use the outside range anymore because of some of the power hungry RO'S. Aside from that I still like BRP,and love the 24 hour indoor range.

Stop by the 3rd Saturday. Myself and the guys I work with are real low key. Only downside is that the CMP matches occupy the rifle range until 1 or 3PM (depending on number of shooters) that day from March thru December. As long as you maintain basic safety, we don't bother the shooters.

I sat back once and thought to myself, you don't know if that person is a LEO or not, how can you possibly challenge someone on a compliance issue if you don't know who they may be? I've never been challenged, but I also don't have anything to challenge... Other than picking up brass during a cease fire ;)

Most ROs I've dealt with have been hands off and more than friendly. I always say thank you to them before leaving because I know it's a volunteer job. It keeps the outdoor ranges open.

Very Sad News

Very sad news! I knew Lou even before joining BR&P. He was a real nice guy and someone I looked up to at the club.

[halfmast]

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

Dear Len,
It is with great sadness that I inform the members of the passing of club past president, Lou Assad. Lou was a Retired Special Agent for the Government Service Administration although most will remember Lou as the Director of Security for the Patriots. Lou was a veteran of the Korean War (Air Force). He was president of the club for around 20 years. He was a mentor to me and a great friend. Lou will be missed by all that had the pleasure to meet him. Lou is being waked at the Alfred Thomas Funeral Home in Milton Thursday from 4 to 8 PM. The funeral will be at St. Agatha's Church Friday morning at 9 AM.

Eric S. Goldman

Anyone know what the conditions of the outdoor ranges and the driveway to them looks like? Is it open? Passable by car or truck?

I know I tried going a couple years back days after a snow storm and while there were some tracks and the sign was off to the side. I walked it and no RO was present; so it was in fact closed. Does the outdoor range even get plowed?

Anyone know what the conditions of the outdoor ranges and the driveway to them looks like? Is it open? Passable by car or truck?

I know I tried going a couple years back days after a snow storm and while there were some tracks and the sign was off to the side. I walked it and no RO was present; so it was in fact closed. Does the outdoor range even get plowed?

Last weekend the road to the outdoor ranges was un plowed and they were closed

The plow guy did the range on Feb 8th, but not after the last large storm. He put the snow in front of the access road. We are trying to get the ranges back in operation, but the snow depth on the ranges themselves is around 3-1/2 feet. the 50 yard rifle targets are almost under the snow line. you can only see the tops of the 100 yard rifle targets. I'm going to make a stab at tunnelling to them with the snowthrower on saturday (9.25 hp Ariens), but I'm unsure of the outcome.....(doing my best, but nowhere does it say snow clearance in my job description)...... Ross - club secretary

The plow guy did the range on Feb 8th, but not after the last large storm. He put the snow in front of the access road. We are trying to get the ranges back in operation, but the snow depth on the ranges themselves is around 3-1/2 feet. the 50 yard rifle targets are almost under the snow line. you can only see the tops of the 100 yard rifle targets. I'm going to make a stab at tunnelling to them with the snowthrower on saturday (9.25 hp Ariens), but I'm unsure of the outcome.....(doing my best, but nowhere does it say snow clearance in my job description)...... Ross - club secretary

Understood - thanks for the update! If I had the equipment, I'd volunteer to do it. But with this amount of snow, I can't imagine it's easy no matter what you have, short of a skid steer or front end loader.

Don't go during juniors tonight. Filters are clogged in the old clubhouse and they aren't letting anyone shoot. Had a friend drove 1.5 hours for nothing. Can we get a maintenance program?

Don't go during juniors tonight. Filters are clogged in the old clubhouse and they aren't letting anyone shoot. Had a friend drove 1.5 hours for nothing. Can we get a maintenance program?

They do monitor the filters but with outdoors shooting shut down I suspect there was more indoor use than normal plus everyone's been dealing with their own homes (roof raking, snow blowing, ice dams, water leaks, etc.) so it might have become a problem before anyone knew it.

Be thankful they shut the range down for members' health. My first club had no fresh air intake on the indoor range and you were eating the lead dust for many, many years. It's part of the reason I quit there since they refused to address the issue.

The outdoor ranges are in fact now in operation because Ross (Secretary of the club) snowblowed out to 100 yards so people could hang targets without snowshoes.
Wow Joey, very generous of you to offer to help with 10 minutes of work for a years dues. Many clubs have a work requirement to be a member. BRP does not.
There are maybe 11 guys at the club that do everything from painting to cutting lawns to shoveling off the roofs. They are all volunteers. All the range officers are volunteers. The guy who spends 50 Friday nights a year running the juniors program is a volunteer. So are his 2 helpers. How about instead of complaining you call the Executive Officer and volunteer to shovel, snowblow, throw salt or just generally help.
As to driving an hour and a half, the juniors run from 7pm-9pm, you could have gone out for a bite to eat and then come back at 9.

The outdoor ranges are in fact now in operation because Ross (Secretary of the club) snowblowed out to 100 yards so people could hang targets without snowshoes.

Fantastic news. Thank you for the update. Thanks Ross.
As I was laying in bed - thought to myself, how cool would it be to setup a webcam, that could update every like 10 minutes or so - streaming to the website. That way we could see if the 'RANGE CLOSED' sign is in front of the driveway - making it easier for someone to know whether to head over to do some shootin' or not. Not sure if there's a window in the old clubhouse that can see - sure we could find an outdoor WiFi camera that we could mount under the eave.

As a technically proficient person, I'd be happy to volunteer some help if the club had the equipment.

I believe the club has wireless available to its members so you could get an outdoor wireless camera that would probably work.

The lower-tech solution would be to have the RSO who opens up the ranges update a feed on the website or twitter or something like that. Would probably be considerably cheaper too. In the age of people getting results at the click of a button, it would certainly be beneficial for the club to consider these options as a benefit to members with a low, if any, cost impact.

As a technically proficient person, I'd be happy to volunteer some help if the club had the equipment.

I believe the club has wireless available to its members so you could get an outdoor wireless camera that would probably work.

The lower-tech solution would be to have the RSO who opens up the ranges update a feed on the website or twitter or something like that. Would probably be considerably cheaper too. In the age of people getting results at the click of a button, it would certainly be beneficial for the club to consider these options as a benefit to members with a low, if any, cost impact.

WiFi really doesn't work in the old clubhouse (it's installed upstairs in the newer building), never mind on the outside facing the range. I know this because I tried to use my laptop in the old clubhouse one time, no dice.

It is still a really good idea and a range extender would solve that and the old range problem.

The RSO updating feeds would be a non-starter, I'd guess that many are not computer literate enough to do it and I know a few don't even have a computer (they still use their fingers and toes to compute [laugh]). Even as an RSO, I would NOT be in favor of this.

Contact the webmaster (who is a member and very computer literate) about the idea of a camera on the sign for a live feed.

--------

And to answer a prior question, there is no way to see the sign without going into the parking lot in front of the old building. And everyone hangs out in the new building so doing so for numerous phone calls is not something many would want to do, especially with all the crap on the ground these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Next members meeting is March 9 - maybe you guys should bring up the idea of a webcam/range alert system there.

I'd think the BOD meeting (this past Monday) would be the more appropriate place to bring it up.

WiFi really doesn't work in the old clubhouse (it's installed upstairs in the newer building), never mind on the outside facing the range. I know this because I tried to use my laptop in the old clubhouse one time, no dice.

It is still a really good idea and a range extender would solve that and the old range problem.

The RSO updating feeds would be a non-starter, I'd guess that many are not computer literate enough to do it and I know a few don't even have a computer (they still use their fingers and toes to compute [laugh]). Even as an RSO, I would NOT be in favor of this.

Contact the webmaster (who is a member and very computer literate) about the idea of a camera on the sign for a live feed.

--------

And to answer a prior question, there is no way to see the sign without going into the parking lot in front of the old building. And everyone hangs out in the new building so doing so for numerous phone calls is not something many would want to do, especially with all the crap on the ground these days.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd think the BOD meeting (this past Monday) would be the more appropriate place to bring it up.

I think there are several members here who frequent meetings and may have ties to BOD - I'll start looking into a self contained WiFi camera - and some way to stream it. Even if it's a UStream - I'm 99% sure that can be embedded in a website. Or at least hyperlinked to UStream. Not sure if it's free, I'll check. I know Livestream can stream any HDMI (or dumber technology) so really it's just the question of if the second floor office in the old clubhouse can see the area where the sign is. Otherwise a weather proof/eave mounting solution would have to be done - and power run to said camera.
Glad others like the idea, I'll see what I can figure out.

ETA: Looks like UStream is no longer free.

ETA2: Several solutions appear to need some kind of back end computer to stream to the net. Not sure if this is a viable solution. I'm sure I could source an old beater computer to serve the purpose, the question is where to put it and the money to power it. Is it worth it?. There's also Livestream's mini-Broadcaster box, but that's brand new tech - for $300.
I'm looking to see if Dropcam might work - but these are really all indoor solutions. So it's a deal breaker if we can't see the signage from the window of the office.

ETA3: I can't remember, can you see the gate from the 2nd floor of the new club house??

ETA4: Dropcam: https://www.dropcam.com/live-demos/attractions/more-puppies
How cool would it be to A. see the gate/sign and B. stick one in the new club house and see if it's packed! Or tons of lanes are open!

ETA5: Cloud Recording is an optional service. Dropcam always includes free live streaming, alerts, camera scheduling, night vision, two-way talk and automatic updates. By adding Cloud Recording, you can also:
Save up to 30 days (or 7, if you choose the 7 day plan) of footage in the cloud and review it whenever you want.
Customize activity zones so you can receive alerts about specific areas.
Create a timelapse of an event or an entire day that you can watch in a minute.
Make and save clips from your footage and share them with friends and family.

So basically, for a one time cost of $200, you don't need a computer - and you can stream this thing directly off Dropcam's site, for free.

Last edited:
If you set up webcams make sure they are in a members only part of the website for security reasons.

I was going to recommend a Dropcam as well. They're pretty versatile for not a lot of money. There may be weatherproof housing for them if we need the cam to be outdoors.

Sent using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom