Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

I was there earlier today - it looks like the swap meet didn't really happen. I was a bit disappointed. Had fun trying my new p64 out though :)

See my comments above. Sounds like last year. Prior years I sold a fair amount of stuff and bought some too. Poor planning and poor advertising nets today's result. Too bad.

Is the plinking range separate from the rifle range, or do you need to request a ceasefire to get set up?

As you drive up there here's the range setups as you see them:

- 50/100 yd 10 position rifle range
- 25/50 yd pistol range
- Combo of 27'/47' pistol range and 50 yd .22 (only) plinking range

Each of the above "bullet points" is separate and cease-fires on one do not require a cease-fire on any other range.

CAUTION: People shooting on the 27'/47' pistol range can NOT see anyone down at the 50 yd plinking range setting up targets, so before ending a cease-fire one person should walk down the end to ENSURE that nobody gets trapped down there!!!

As you drive up there here's the range setups as you see them:

- 50/100 yd 10 position rifle range
- 25/50 yd pistol range
- Combo of 27'/47' pistol range and 50 yd .22 (only) plinking range

Each of the above "bullet points" is separate and cease-fires on one do not require a cease-fire on any other range.

CAUTION: People shooting on the 27'/47' pistol range can NOT see anyone down at the 50 yd plinking range setting up targets, so before ending a cease-fire one person should walk down the end to ENSURE that nobody gets trapped down there!!!

Thanks!

Does anybody know if the berm work is done and they're back to normal hours yet? I'd like to get out there this week some time.

Thanks

We were told that an Email would be sent when it was completed. I haven't received any such Email. Also we were told that the workday ends at 3PM and the ranges would be open after 3PM during the week.

Couple of interesting tidbits from last night's members meeting.

- Look for an Email from the club shortly about the outdoor range status. We were told it will likely go out today.

- IRS is auditing the club later this month! Never heard of this happening in my 16 years at BR&P or the other 3 clubs I've belonged to over the past 39 years. My seriously best guess is that this is a result of the Big "0" effort to harass conservative groups. Have no fear however, BR&P is run like a business and my impression is that they have impeccable records. Eric read the original incorporation papers to the members last night. BR&P was founded in the 1890s but incorporated in 1922 (with a different name back then).

- For those that missed the meeting, we were treated to a (free) great dinner . . . chicken cordon bleu. You lose! [wink]

Did the email ever go out? I never got one.

No it never did. [frown] So only the people present at the meeting heard what was going on.

I didn't want to post here as it is likely to cause more confusion and pissed off people. However . . . since you asked.

Apparently the contractor doing the work decided not to work every day and just show up random days. Therefore the CRO decided that it was unfair to keep the ranges closed if no work was being done and decided the following:

- The ranges would be open all day if the workers weren't there.
- The RO on duty would shut the ranges down (until 3PM) if the workers were there.

So for members, bring handguns/.22RF rifles you can shoot indoors in case you show up and they are working on the backstop. For ROs it sucks because they have to show up and if work is being done, then they shut down the range and go home, wasting their time. There is no way to find out in advance.

Wow. That's a shitty contractor. Can you out who's doing the work?

Honestly no idea. The BOD gets bids and awards the contracts. If you ask them I'm sure that they will tell you.

Agreed, but I remember when my house was being renovated back in 2000-2001, the contractor pulled his people away for a week or two to do some work on a mansion in another town. He also stored windows for that mansion in my new garage so I couldn't use it, they were there for weeks prior and he told me to piss off when I complained.

This Winter I had a NH contractor treat the mold in my attic due to ice dams/water infiltration. In the process, they cracked the ceilings in 4 rooms. They promised to send a sub-contractor to fix their damage, but all I've heard is crickets for the past 2 months now. [I've decided to find my own contractor to fix all the ceilings (1 cracked due to water coming in) by repairing all the affected swirls (1950s style) such that it doesn't look repaired and offer this contractor the option of being billed by the guy I hire or sued by me on a 93A action for the damages (you ask for triple damages but judges almost never award them)! I have Emails and pictures with them admitting responsibility so any court action would be a slam dunk, but not what I prefer.]

So based on my experience it seems this is pretty SOP wrt contractors and it is the odd one that shows up on time, does the work as promised on schedule and budget.

Honestly no idea. The BOD gets bids and awards the contracts. If you ask them I'm sure that they will tell you.

Agreed, but I remember when my house was being renovated back in 2000-2001, the contractor pulled his people away for a week or two to do some work on a mansion in another town. He also stored windows for that mansion in my new garage so I couldn't use it, they were there for weeks prior and he told me to piss off when I complained.

This Winter I had a NH contractor treat the mold in my attic due to ice dams/water infiltration. In the process, they cracked the ceilings in 4 rooms. They promised to send a sub-contractor to fix their damage, but all I've heard is crickets for the past 2 months now. [I've decided to find my own contractor to fix all the ceilings (1 cracked due to water coming in) by repairing all the affected swirls (1950s style) such that it doesn't look repaired and offer this contractor the option of being billed by the guy I hire or sued by me on a 93A action for the damages (you ask for triple damages but judges almost never award them)! I have Emails and pictures with them admitting responsibility so any court action would be a slam dunk, but not what I prefer.]

So based on my experience it seems this is pretty SOP wrt contractors and it is the odd one that shows up on time, does the work as promised on schedule and budget.

I'd have charged the prick rent on the garage space.

Is steel allowed to be shot in any of the outdoor ranges? I was under the impression it was not but saw someone shooting steel at the long distance handgun recently.

Just got the email that the work was done ahead of schedule and the outdoor range now has some steel targets!

Just got the email that the work was done ahead of schedule and the outdoor range now has some steel targets!

Well that settles that question. was hoping it was a rule change and that steel would be allowed at the plinking range.

Last edited:
Well that settles that question. was hoping it was a rule change and that steel would be allowed at the plinking range.

You can ONLY shoot steel that is club-owned and in the positions that they are located by those in charge of the range (not the ROs). As of now there is one plate rack at 25 yds for handgun only on the middle pistol range. Another plate rack for that range will be ordered shortly along with plates for the .22RF (ONLY) plinking range (50 yds). This was all discussed at last night's meeting.

So you can't bring your own steel nor can you move the steel targets. That was the message we were all given last night.

You can ONLY shoot steel that is club-owned and in the positions that they are located by those in charge of the range (not the ROs). As of now there is one plate rack at 25 yds for handgun only on the middle pistol range. Another plate rack for that range will be ordered shortly along with plates for the .22RF (ONLY) plinking range (50 yds). This was all discussed at last night's meeting.

So you can't bring your own steel nor can you move the steel targets. That was the message we were all given last night.

Looking forward to steel at the plinking range. Should be fun.

thanks for the info Len

Can anyone tell me about how Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club would be for a person in a wheelchair? I've been having a lot of trouble finding an accessible and convenient place to shoot rifles.

I'll do you one better . . . if you send me an Email (not a PM) with your question (and BR&P) in the Subject, I will request permission from two of our wheelchair bound members (both named John) to give you their Email addresses or forward your Email to them (their choice) for a response from people with the first-hand experience.

That said, I'll offer an opinion on BR&P, but given that I'm lucky enough to not need a wheelchair, I may well mis-interpret your issues.

- New clubhouse (other than the office upstairs) is totally handicapped accessible. Bathrooms, one shooting station on the far right, access to the building with HP spaces in front (but we have many HP people so you may not get to park real close), there are no steps to get into the building.

- Old clubhouse: my guess is that neither bathroom would be accessible to a wheelchair. The indoor range probably would be accessible . . . either John should be able to answer that. There are steps from the rear of this building (no go for wheelchair) but no steps from the front of the building.

- Outdoor ranges: rifle range and far right pistol range are easily wheelchair accessible. Middle (25 & 50 yd) pistol range would be wheelchair accessible only from the right side (2 steps on the left end). Now personal opinion on the rifle range is that you probably would not be able to change targets yourself . . . it is frequently muddy, deep water after a rain and the 100yd targets are difficult to reach if you are shorter than 5'6" off the ground. I'd make sure someone is either with you or someone else is shooting on the rifle range and just ask them to hang targets for you . . . we're a friendly bunch and I can't imagine anyone refusing to help you with that. Even putting up targets on any of the other ranges might need help and at least one RO has to be on duty and any of us should be more than willing to help you, just ask.

Outdoor Range Improvements Update:

We were told at the last meeting that the berm work was finally completed and thus all the outdoor ranges are open as usual.

We were also told that the shooting structures will be repainted and when that is done one or more may be shut down for the painting, but it shouldn't be for more than 1-2 days each. No idea on schedules for this and it might have been done by now for all I know.

I'll do you one better . . . if you send me an Email (not a PM) with your question (and BR&P) in the Subject, I will request permission from two of our wheelchair bound members (both named John) to give you their Email addresses or forward your Email to them (their choice) for a response from people with the first-hand experience.

That said, I'll offer an opinion on BR&P, but given that I'm lucky enough to not need a wheelchair, I may well mis-interpret your issues.

- New clubhouse (other than the office upstairs) is totally handicapped accessible. Bathrooms, one shooting station on the far right, access to the building with HP spaces in front (but we have many HP people so you may not get to park real close), there are no steps to get into the building.

- Old clubhouse: my guess is that neither bathroom would be accessible to a wheelchair. The indoor range probably would be accessible . . . either John should be able to answer that. There are steps from the rear of this building (no go for wheelchair) but no steps from the front of the building.

- Outdoor ranges: rifle range and far right pistol range are easily wheelchair accessible. Middle (25 & 50 yd) pistol range would be wheelchair accessible only from the right side (2 steps on the left end). Now personal opinion on the rifle range is that you probably would not be able to change targets yourself . . . it is frequently muddy, deep water after a rain and the 100yd targets are difficult to reach if you are shorter than 5'6" off the ground. I'd make sure someone is either with you or someone else is shooting on the rifle range and just ask them to hang targets for you . . . we're a friendly bunch and I can't imagine anyone refusing to help you with that. Even putting up targets on any of the other ranges might need help and at least one RO has to be on duty and any of us should be more than willing to help you, just ask.

E-mail sent. Thank you very much.

Did I read somewhere that there are steel targets on the long distance pistol range now? Has anyone tried those out? Do we know what distance they're at - pretty sure I remember reading that they can't be moved. Hope it's not at the far end of the capacity of the range [smile]

Did I read somewhere that there are steel targets on the long distance pistol range now? Has anyone tried those out? Do we know what distance they're at - pretty sure I remember reading that they can't be moved. Hope it's not at the far end of the capacity of the range [smile]

I guess you never read Post # 142? [devil]

I shot the steels today. There is a sign next to them that says 59'. It looked about right.

There are two shooting stations with steels and 4 targets at each station. I didn't ask the RO if center fires were OK, but he watched me shooting 9mm and we happily exchanged a few words.

Back
Top Bottom