Boy Scouts of America bans water gun fights; ‘pointing a firearm’ is not kind

Reptile

NES Member
The Boy Scouts of America has put out approved activities for its members, and water gun fights are strictly prohibited.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/19/boy-scouts-of-america-bans-water-gun-fights/

----
God forbid a scout learn how to shoot straight.

Also,

“For water balloons, use small, biodegradable balloons, and fill them no larger than a ping pong ball. […] Water guns and rubber band guns must only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn.”

They have had similar rules for a while now. Can't throw/launch anything at a human shaped target, etc. Not even dodge balls.

I was driving this weekend and saw these kids having an awesome squirt gun fight. They were like 8, and totally laughing. Reminded me of my youth.

50 shades of ghey. Boys should have the right to be boys, and grow up un-pussyfied. There will be plenty of pussification later, in high school and college.

Real Boy scout troops shoot thousands of rounds from real guns every year (22LR & shotgun)

Seriously__No__by_Jibodeah.gif

I weep for our future generations that they can no longer enjoy the fun, excitement and danger of crab apple,
chestnut, mudball, snowball, rock, (double points for putting a rock inside your snowball), elastic band and paperclip,
spitball (more double points if used a straitened paperclip as a spitball dart), bottle rocket/Roman candle, dog shit on
the end of a stick fights. [sad2]

I gleefully engaged in all that and more, and still somehow managed to escape unscathed (both physically and emotionally).
[smile]

the water/rubber band gun thing is in there.. probably for liability. In this sue-happy society, the BSA has to cover their ass too.

the balloon item is taken out of context... context is when using water balloons as slingshot/catapult ammunition, and again probably for liability. Obviously, biodegradable as a scout rule is "Leave no trace"

also. this is from 2011.. not sure why it's coming out today.. http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor Program/pdf/30931_WB.pdf

and our Pack/Troop play dodgeball all the time.. and yes.. we did Eddie Eagle for the Cubs and the Boys do shooting sports at summer camp.

Typical CYA stuff from national. If someone gets hurt doing something fun, they can point fingers at the adult leaders involved and absolve themselves from liability. Don't let it sour your opinion on Scouts.

I raised two Eagle Scouts and while in Scouts they were involved in plenty of 'boys will be boys' activities and had a great time. In fact I used to bring a water balloon slingshot for picnics way back in Cub Scouts- at least until a small group of moonbats went all namby pamby. Such activities moved to smaller, non-Scout get-togethers sans the crybaby parents.

Yes, we had moonbats even in the South, but they and their kids tended to drop out before the activities became more manly. Though my boys could learn to clean a fish from me any time, there were others who had no one to teach them such things. More than a few single moms wanted their boys to have such activities. The nambys usually came in pairs.

My boys not only had the opportunity to shoot 22's but also shot high power and black powder rifles. We made several 100+ mile backpacking treks, including a trip from Tennessee to Maine for a hike through the AT 100 mile wilderness. That one built some character, but damn near turned me into a namby pamby crybaby. [laugh] Good gawd, what a nasty trail. Anyway, there's still plenty of fun to be had in Scouts.

Rules from National are not always killjoy oriented. One of the things from National that we always took dead serious was the child protection policies. Important not only to protect the kids, but also to protect adult leaders from false accusations.

While my boys are not complete angels, they're really good young men- trustworthy, hard working, and kind to others. They weren't complete Scout nerds either- both were good football players, decent students, and had other activities as well. I highly recommend Scouts.

Agreed Mountain. Just the standard National CYA bull we've been seeing more of when there is another lawsuit or threat of one from some libtard ahole. Scouts is still the best thing going to get them out of the house, away from their electronics and into the woods to get dirty. I've seen some real mamma's boys learn how to have some good old fashion fun in the scouts and do a complete 180 from when they joined. Pretty much most of them can't wait to hit the rifle and shotgun ranges once summer camp comes along. Nothing like seeing the grin when they hit a clay for the first time. Doesn't take too long before they become addicted to the big bang.

Hard to believe the current President of the BSA is a former director of the CIA and Secretary of Defense under two Presidents.

The good news is at the local level, most units ignore nonsensical restrictions. Teach 'em, trust 'em, have fun in outdoors.

I welcome the merger of the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. Once they merge into the Scouts, everyone will feel included and they can get down to the very important business of studying gender issues.

The Girl Scouts have been run into the ground and turned into a SJW indoctrination camp with little to do with pioneering activities. The BSA is next on the list for childhood organizations to subvert and destroy. Can't have groups with traditional values, life skills, and old school ecological conservation teaching kids to be independent individuals counter to the dreck foisted on them in public schools.

Its like Holder said, they want to make the thought of guns scary in the eyes of the general public. How better to do that than to teach young kids this?

They are simply trying to breed the next generation of antis.

My kids will be playing with squirt guns in the back yard this summer. And will be going to the range with me once they are old enough.

Its like Holder said, they want to make the thought of guns scary in the eyes of the general public. How better to do that than to teach young kids this?

They are simply trying to breed the next generation of antis.

My kids will be playing with squirt guns in the back yard this summer. And will be going to the range with me once they are old enough.

The Hitler Youth methodology is alive and well in America

I was driving this weekend and saw these kids having an awesome squirt gun fight. They were like 8, and totally laughing. Reminded me of my youth.

Did you call child services? Were the parents arrested for child neglect and endangerment?

The Boy Scouts of America has put out approved activities for its members, and water gun fights are strictly prohibited.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/19/boy-scouts-of-america-bans-water-gun-fights/

----
God forbid a scout learn how to shoot straight.

Also,

“For water balloons, use small, biodegradable balloons, and fill them no larger than a ping pong ball. […] Water guns and rubber band guns must only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn.”

Ugh. Just f-ing pitiful.

i had an air bazooka when I was a kid. It was like 4" diameter plastic pipe with a piston you could pump. You could put just about anything in it and shoot it across the yard. No one died

sonicblaster.jpg

Last edited:
Real Boy scout troops shoot thousands of rounds from real guns every year (22LR & shotgun)
and plenty of center fire 556, 308, 30-06 and 7.62x54R and one of the boys brought a 6.5mm something or other. at least once a year.

Back
Top Bottom