Boy, 12, accidentally shoots himself at friend's house

This is why Connecticut democrats have been desperately trying to get their 'Ethan's Law', which already passed in their state to be implemented and passed on a federal level. When you take your kids to a friend's house, wouldn't you want the law to state everyone has to keep their guns stripped down to the pins, locked in a safe, ammo and mags unloaded and locked in a separate second safe in an entirely different room?

This is why Connecticut democrats have been desperately trying to get their 'Ethan's Law', which already passed in their state to be implemented and passed on a federal level. When you take your kids to a friend's house, wouldn't you want the law to state everyone has to keep their guns stripped down to the pins, locked in a safe, ammo and mags unloaded and locked in a separate second safe in an entirely different room?
I cant tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.....
People dont follow laws.

My dad was a cop, came home most days for a couple hours to sleep before working a detail or overtime. Would always crash on the couch, in uniform gun belt with gun in it on the ground. Probably within 10 feet of me and loaded from my earliest memories to when I moved out. And I was homeschooled, so me and that gun, always near it. Why didn't I shoot myself with it, why didn't my friends shoot me or them with it? Because he did this wild thing called "Parenting" and taught me not to touch his shit.

When I was little.. closets, drawers, toolboxes... guns, mags, ammo everywhere. There was a. 44 mag in a box next to the vcr.
Started working in my dad's shop when I was 12 or something... in the 80s.. a small drawer on the snap-on toolbox was full of looze .380.
It's still in the drawer. I was thinking about firing it one day

NO, Teach your kids. WTF

On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller (PDF), the United States Supreme Court issued its first decision since 1939 interpreting the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense. It also ruled that two District of Columbia provisions, one that banned handguns and one that required lawful firearms in the home to be disassembled or trigger-locked, violate this right.

I pretty much came out the womb with a firearm. It’s these people who don’t teach kids about guns that are the problem..

I’m guessing sarcasm. They need to be taught how to swim young and how to handle firearms safely Young.
Mas Ayoob wrote a tiny book called Gunproof your Children. It is out of print, but it is one of his most important works. He suggested that trying to childproof your guns by locking them up, hiding them, or taking them out of reach was not realistic. Adults make mistakes. Kids visit other homes, where the guns might not be secured. With crime exploding, your kid could find a stash gun, or even Hunter Biden's gun that was disposed of in the garbage can.

It makes more sense to teach your children how to handle guns safely, and most important, how to unload, and make them safe. And if their moronic, ignorant friends get a hold of a gun, how to take control of the situation, or depart the area ASAP.

So, when some Democrat is breaking in, threatening the lives of my family, will he or she kindly wait in the kitchen with a snack, while I unlock the safe, and reassemble the gun from pins, find the ammo in another locked case, and the load the gun?
Or maybe, the perp will set up an appointment, so I can be ready for him when he arrives.

My dad was a cop, came home most days for a couple hours to sleep before working a detail or overtime. Would always crash on the couch, in uniform gun belt with gun in it on the ground. Probably within 10 feet of me and loaded from my earliest memories to when I moved out. And I was homeschooled, so me and that gun, always near it. Why didn't I shoot myself with it, why didn't my friends shoot me or them with it? Because he did this wild thing called "Parenting" and taught me not to touch his shit.
Same. We had guns all over the house

this is a whole different generation that has to be told not to eat Tide Pods.

My grandfather kept his gun in a safe but I knew where he hid the key (and he knew that I knew). I never touched that gun, I knew better.

My grandfather kept an M1 carbine in a locked wooden cabinet along with important documents. I knew where he kept the key and he never really went out of his way to keep it a secret from me. He told me exactly what was in there and that I was never to touch it and I never did. My oldest kid is five and is vaguely aware that I have a "musket" but has no idea about the full extent of what I have locked up in the house. At a certain point in the near future I'll have to sit him down and talk to him.

As tragic as this was, laws don't prevent things like this from happening.

This is why it should be mandatory to teach about guns to kids, how to shoot and safety.

Every parent I know that owns guns tells me the same thing, they are not affeaid of their kid, but they are afraid of their kids friends.

Their kid knows how to handle guns and they are nothing new to him/her. It is like a toy, they played with it for a while, now they are bored and don't care. But the friend thst never had that toy wants to play with it.

If people pulled their heads out of their @sses, they would demand a gun handling class in school.

My friends brother shot himself when he was around 12. Was at a friend's house, the dad was a cop, he found the gun and without thinking pulled the trigger and blew his brains out. This happened roughly 10-15 years ago.

My grandfather kept an M1 carbine in a locked wooden cabinet along with important documents. I knew where he kept the key and he never really went out of his way to keep it a secret from me. He told me exactly what was in there and that I was never to touch it and I never did. My oldest kid is five and is vaguely aware that I have a "musket" but has no idea about the full extent of what I have locked up in the house. At a certain point in the near future I'll have to sit him down and talk to him.
I don't tell parents what to do with their kids. So I will post what I am doing with my 5yo niece.

I bought a couple of nice nerf handguns, I was surprised how well they shoot, and I started teacher her with a couple of empty plastic bottles on the other side of the living room.

At first she was waiving the gun around, pointing it at people ... clearly not mature enough for anything beyond a nerf gun.

In a couple of years, if my brother is cool with it, and I think she will be safe with it, I will move her to an air gun (not one with CO2, will start with a weaker one).

Then maybe a year or 2 later .22 at the range. Depending on how she handles the air gun.

My main concerns are to:

1. drill into her head to never point it at herself or other people.

2. get her to the point where guns are not a shiny new toy so she has no desire to play with them.

3. Get her to understand if she is at a friend's house and that person has a gun, to either tell them to point it away from people and put it down, or get out of that house and call an adult.

Mas Ayoob wrote a tiny book called Gunproof your Children. It is out of print, but it is one of his most important works. He suggested that trying to childproof your guns by locking them up, hiding them, or taking them out of reach was not realistic. Adults make mistakes. Kids visit other homes, where the guns might not be secured. With crime exploding, your kid could find a stash gun, or even Hunter Biden's gun that was disposed of in the garbage can.

It makes more sense to teach your children how to handle guns safely, and most important, how to unload, and make them safe. And if their moronic, ignorant friends get a hold of a gun, how to take control of the situation, or depart the area ASAP.
Yup that’s exactly why I took that approach. I can’t control everything.

Back
Top Bottom