• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boy, 12, accidentally shoots himself at friend's house

I am sure that for every hundred of you who grew up with guns and did not get injured, one kid did. The same was for bicycles, kitchen knives, electric outlets, second-floor windows, and balls. How many kids died because they stuck something metal into an outlet and got electrocuted? How many lost the ball and ran onto a road to pick it up, only to be run over by a passing car? Every time a child dies, it is devastating, but to pretend that poor gun storage is the only way children die, dismissing the multitudes of unnatural causes, is deceptive and hypocritical!

My kids ask before they bring a friend over. I always ask them, are they retarded or OK?

If OK, they get the spiel - "There's guns around the house, don't touch them. The pistols are loaded, the shotguns are probably loaded, and the rifles should be empty. (half my shotguns and all my rifles are for hunting, so they should be empty) Don't touch them without me."
If retarded, I lock them up and tell my kids to make sure they stay out of rooms where the guns are.

My daughter went to a friend's house. The dad had left a duffel bag of guns outside the safe that he hadn't bothered to put away. I asked my daughter if she touched them, she said "No, they were only Glocks, nothing cool".

According to article gun was in car in garage and boys were 12, 13 yrs old. WTF, victim obviously wasn't taught to respect someone else's property and gun safety. Epic fail for parents and victim, nothing to do with gun safety. That's like saying kid rode his bike into oncoming traffic, was hit and killed so we need more laws on safe driving. 🤨

I taught my kids that bullets go through walls and floors so leaving the room is not good enough. They were taught that if they were in someone else's house and the kid said "look what my father keeps in his sock drawer" they were to leave the house. I guess passing stupid laws is easier than teaching kids.

Parental responsibility= Traffic safety, water safety, firearm safety, stranger danger, drugs and alcohol danger...
We can now add to this list;

Communist teachers
Tranny shows in the library
Trannys in locker rooms and bathrooms
Child indoctrination centers
….

Last edited:
I was born in New Haven and my dad worked for several gun design and machine job shops in the area over the years.
He had several guns in the house in different states of disassembly in order for him to measure parts for machining and so on.
One fancy custom Derringer was mounted in a display frame and was hanging on his office wall as a piece of art.
Every night when he came home from work my dad would pick me up so I could touch the gun because I was fascinated by it.
As he picked me up he would always say, "You can only touch this gun, or any gun when you're with me."
And that's the way it was until I was 9 and I got my first BB gun for my birthday. Then I was only allowed to shoot it with him for a few years.
When I was 15 I took the hunter safety course AT MY JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL! Where we learned how to safely handle rifles and shotguns and pistols.
After that, I received my first shotgun, and from that point I could shoot on my own.
Most of my friends grew up the same way, and to this day none of us have accidentally shot anyone.

One thing I've drilled into my girlfriends 11 year old is how to properly handle a gun, not just A gun but ANY gun, I moved in when he was 5, guns and a safe, at 5 he was so fascinated with my guns I let him handle every one of them and showed him proper gun safety, Ofcourse him being 5 he would ask every other day to see my guns and I always let him look and handle them, this went on for a couple weeks and over the years he asked less and less but some days I will come home and take my gun off and tell him to handle it and make it safe and he does without any hesitation and it's done safer than I've seen some adults do it, this is to keep him up to speed all the time anywhere that he might come into contact with a gun.

The point is to make it so he doesn't even think twice when I have my guns out, and he knows EXACTLY what to do if he is over a friends house and ever stumbled upon a gun laying around, there is no fascination left in him except the danger of a firearm loaded or not which is a good thing.

I do keep everything locked up when I'm not home which is common sense in my opinion but I can't stress it enough that the more familiar a kid is with firearms the better.

I taught my kids that bullets go through walls and floors so leaving the room is not good enough. They were taught that if they were in someone else's house and the kid said "look what my father keeps in his sock drawer" they were to leave the house. I guess passing stupid laws is easier than teaching kids.

My kids have been taught if they find a gun to secure it and send SOMEONE ELSE to get an adult. I know it's safe with my kids, other people (kids and adults) I don't trust so much.

Also to make it known that if it isn't stolen or claimed, we wish to claim it.

Most of these cases are because of kids who were prohibited from any toy weapon, cap gun, nerf gun, air rifle, etc. growing up, so when they finally see one, toy or real, they are too fascinated and feel the need to explore.
The WORST thing for a child growing up is being isolated from real life.

My Dad's tube fed bolt action Marlin .22 LR was over the mantle since before I was born. I think I was about 10 when he let me shoot it. By the time I was 14 I'd found his FID card. I'd ride my ten speed 9 miles to Coleman's in Danvers to buy ammo. I was about 5' - 8", just 100lbs less than I am now. FID cards were paper with no photo. When nobody was looking I'd take the Marlin off of the mantle and put my pellets gun in it's place. My Mom never noticed. The hard part was switching them back. Never got caught.

Last edited:
I don't tell parents what to do with their kids. So I will post what I am doing with my 5yo niece.

I bought a couple of nice nerf handguns, I was surprised how well they shoot, and I started teacher her with a couple of empty plastic bottles on the other side of the living room.

At first she was waiving the gun around, pointing it at people ... clearly not mature enough for anything beyond a nerf gun.

In a couple of years, if my brother is cool with it, and I think she will be safe with it, I will move her to an air gun (not one with CO2, will start with a weaker one).

Then maybe a year or 2 later .22 at the range. Depending on how she handles the air gun.

My main concerns are to:

1. drill into her head to never point it at herself or other people.

2. get her to the point where guns are not a shiny new toy so she has no desire to play with them.

3. Get her to understand if she is at a friend's house and that person has a gun, to either tell them to point it away from people and put it down, or get out of that house and call an adult.
When does she get the Barrett light 50, and the Desert Eagle 44 mag?

You start a paragraph like that often?
"Ted Kennedy was known throughout the mid-to-late '80s for his series of hookups and the occasional serious dating relationship, but he refused to commit. In 1989 paparazzi caught him having sex with an unnamed woman on a motorboat while on holiday in Europe. The Boston Globe reports that when the photos hit the press, "Alabama senator Howell Heflin joked he was glad to see Kennedy had 'changed his position on offshore drilling.'"

This is why Connecticut democrats have been desperately trying to get their 'Ethan's Law', which already passed in their state to be implemented and passed on a federal level.
F that noise. The NH state law (§ 650-C:1) , which the "Ethan's Law" folk say is not good enough, is the most I would support.
RSA 650-C:1 said:
650-C:1 Negligent Storage of Firearms. –
Any person who stores or leaves on premises under that person's control a loaded firearm, and who knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child's parent or guardian, is guilty of a violation if a child gains access to a firearm and ... the firearm is used...
This section shall not apply whenever any of the following occurs:
(a) The child has completed firearm safety instructions by a certified firearms safety instructor or has successfully completed a certified hunter safety course.
(b) The firearm is kept secured in a locked box, gun safe, or other secure locked space, or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure, or is secured with a trigger lock or similar device that prevents the firearm from discharging.
(c) The firearm is carried on the person or within such a close proximity thereto so that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person.
(d) The child obtains or obtains and discharges the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person.
(e) The person who keeps a loaded firearm on any premises which are under such person's custody or control has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises.
(f) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry of any premises by any person or an illegal taking of the firearm from the premises of the owner without permission of the owner.
VI. A parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies of an accidental shooting shall be prosecuted under this section only in those instances in which the parent or guardian behaved in a grossly negligent manner.
Basically requires negligence, an uneducated child who has permission to be on the premises, and for a bad outcome to actually occur.

When my youngest (who is now 20) was a toddler, I made a point of normalizing firearms to him. He was very precocious at 3, and more than once he would tell strangers in the store, "Guns can be very dangerous. Never point them at people or pets. Never put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot the target!" (That was an age-appropriate version of "The Rules" that I told him, and it took.)

When Texas was a concealed-only state, he and my wife caught up to me as I was waiting in line at Walmart. He ran up to hug my leg, recoiled back holding his forehead, and said, "Ow! Daddy, I hit your gumb!"

Everyone in line around us laughed. ;)

We can now add to this list;

Communist teachers
Tranny shows in the library
Trannys in locker rooms and bathrooms
Child indoctrination centers
….
Time for tranny firearms safety classes, maybe the young pronouns will get it?

Growing up we where simple told dont touch stuff that aint yours and stay away from the idiots who play with guns.

Back
Top Bottom