Boston University students talk about guns - and it's not all anti

I was pleasantly surprised when I found this link in my e-mail today. The vast majority of the video is a nauseating mix of ignorance, parroted crap talking points from the anti crowd, and childish wishful thinking for an easy solution to complex issues. However, the comments after were refreshing and gave me a bit of hope that all is not lost for the younger generation; at least as of when I was reading. Enjoy:

YouSpeak: Should Gun Control Laws Be Stricter? | BU Today | Boston University

70% of 18-25 yr olds don't support an AWB. The issue is what's acceptable speech within academia is actually stifling expression of those views.

I've said it before and I keep seeing stats like this that backup my thinking: Young adults today are very freedom minded, and suspicious of government promises to fix everything in society. Who the hell can blame them...but it's the boomers who are establishment moonbats.

This is why I think that 2A issues need to be cast as a Civil Rights issue.

There are may that would be turned off by the "Constitutionalist" argument - to wit, to protect us from a tyrannical government - that will be swayed by a civil rights approach.

Get them onto our side, and then refine the conversion.

Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit.com puts it best. Gun control is supported by old white people. Basically the old wacko hippies are the only ones really pushing it. The younger people are, the more freedom they want.

When we can get the aclu in our side (i can't believe i said that) then we will have the upper hands. We need to make others understand it's about limiting a right we are born with. The same fundamental right to vote, to be free, etc.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

I wish they would do follow up questions, an example:

"I wouldn't mind a handgun ban like you see in countries in Europe"
Follow up
"Which countries in Europe?"

"I think buying a gun is to easy"
Follow up
"Have you ever bought a gun before?"

"I think limiting the amount of ammunition in magazines will limit damage"
Follow up
"How many rounds do you think a hand gun or rifle carries? What amount is appropriate to set limits at? What about spare magazines?"

"I dont think anyone should own assault rifles"
Follow up
"Tell me what an assault rifle is"

We all know doing this would typically highlite most people as being uninformed. The odds off the girl saying buying a gun to easy actually having experiences buying one is close to zero. The odds of the guy against assault rifles saying they are just like the ones the .mil uses are 99%.

The more follow up questions are asked to law propositions, the less traction these people will have.

I think, no, I know the main problem with at least 50% of the pro gun control people is they have no clue, not a single vague idea, what it actually is that they are talking about.

Education is key.

The good news, in my opinion is that Gen X and Gen Y are significantly more pro gun than the baby boomers are. Terraformer confirms this with Gen Y.

70% of 18-25 yr olds don't support an AWB. The issue is what's acceptable speech within academia is actually stifling expression of those views.

Question authority and the authorities will question you.

There are may that would be turned off by the "Constitutionalist" argument - to wit, to protect us from a tyrannical government - that will be swayed by a civil rights approach.
When people tell me it "can't happen" I remind them that 15 years ago the concept of every federal court having a docket of "secret trials" that are neither reported to the public, or open to the public or press, would be something that could never happen in the US.

Last edited:
when i hear "it can't happen" i immediately think of petulant teenagers saying the same thing when warned about the dangers of drunk driving, promiscuous sex or the like (and yes-i absolutely said it to my dad, as teens we were all the same [grin]).....i am more than willing to bet these people who say "it can't happen" have been royally pissed at their kids at one time or another for saying the same thing. hypocrite much? just because the chances are slim at this very moment does not mean they stay slim 5 minutes, 2 days or 3 years from now.

Back
Top Bottom