Boston Police Urge Students to Carry Pepper Spray

After the Amy Lord case and with Menino a lame dick, BPD officers (most of whom have wives and daughters) have in a number of cases in which I am personally familiar recommended that women carry pepper spray.

I know this does not conform with the groupthink here about all things Boston. Sorry.

Note this also suggests a strenuous physical defense against an assault. This is the same advice given to my daughter when she went to a class conducted by BPD about subway safety for students.

So, did you call the police headquarters and voice your concern that these officers were recommending your daughter commit a felony?

So, did you call the police headquarters and voice your concern that these officers were recommending your daughter commit a felony?
No, because I'm not a stupid ****.

Instead, I contacted my state reps and told them the law was being ignored, contacted my city councilors and ditto, and did everything else I could to apply more political pressure to the establishment to get it repealed.

What did you do?

No, because I'm not a stupid ****.

Instead, I contacted my state reps and told them the law was being ignored, contacted my city councilors and ditto, and did everything else I could to apply more political pressure to the establishment to get it repealed.

What did you do?

I've contact all the reps that cover my town and spoken at length to two of them and my state senator. In addition I attended and testified at two of Naughton's hearings as well as a few other similar events (like at Emerson college, Move On events and League of Women Voter's), etc.

Anyway, what's wrong with contacting police management on this topic? They clearly advocated breaking the law. Don't get me wrong, I like that they're talking some common sense but that's not going to be a defense in court.

the only thing that poster should say is "Consider getting an LTC and shoot your attacker in the face without hesitation".

Last edited:
I've contact all the reps that cover my town and spoken at length to two of them and my state senator. In addition I attended and testified at two of Naughton's hearings as well as a few other similar events (like at Emerson college, Move On events and League of Women Voter's), etc.

Anyway, what's wrong with contacting police management on this topic? They clearly advocated breaking the law. Don't get me wrong, I like that they're talking some common sense but that's not going to be a defense in court.
Me and my daughter attended a pepper spray class over the weekend. Instructor was a police officer. Flat-out said he has never busted anyone for illegal possession of pepper spray, never heard of anyone else doing it, and would not make the arrest if the person with the spray sans license was not doing anything else otherwise illegal. Also added that the pepper spray law in MA "is going away"... seems to be consensus that the proposed law to allow pepper spray without the requisite FID card (restricted or otherwise) will pass without any problem.

With this info... my daughter, a freshman in college in Cambridge... with restricted FID pending.... will soon be carrying pepper spray before she gets the final FID card in the mail.

Fwiw, she was sexually assaulted almost two years ago... perp goes on trial this week, in fact... two charges of rape, indecent assault, and making threats.

Me and my daughter attended a pepper spray class over the weekend. Instructor was a police officer. Flat-out said he has never busted anyone for illegal possession of pepper spray, never heard of anyone else doing it, and would not make the arrest if the person with the spray sans license was not doing anything else otherwise illegal. Also added that the pepper spray law in MA "is going away"... seems to be consensus that the proposed law to allow pepper spray without the requisite FID card (restricted or otherwise) will pass without any problem.

With this info... my daughter, a freshman in college in Cambridge... with restricted FID pending.... will soon be carrying pepper spray before she gets the final FID card in the mail.

Fwiw, she was sexually assaulted almost two years ago... perp goes on trial this week, in fact... two charges of rape, indecent assault, and making threats.

Wow. Sorry to hear. Hope that perp gets a nice long jail sentence even though he deserves even worse.

I am very sorry to hear that.

This is a huge reason why judges should be elected. As far as the pepper spray bill, I'll believe that when it happens. This could have easily been done given the attention drawn to it during The Lord case but they chose not too.

Last edited:

That's all well and good, but relying on what a given officer thinks is the right thing to do strikes me as a bad idea. The DA's in this state are not to be similarly trusted.

Also, sorry to hear about what your daughter went through.

That's all well and good, but relying on what a given officer thinks is the right thing to do strikes me as a bad idea. The DA's in this state are not to be similarly trusted.

"This law will never be enforced on regular people."

Riiiiggghhht. [rolleyes]

That's what they said about every other law meant to "keep you safe."

Very sorry to hear about your daughter and the effect it must have on her and your whole family. Courts don't usually dispense justice, they dispense legalities. I hope, in this case, that the legalities approximate justice for her.

I'm very sorry to hear this. These are the kind of cases I would have liked to be on the jury for . . . sadly the punishment that I think is appropriate is also illegal! I hope your Daughter is someday able to put it all behind her.

Likewise I took heat but never jacked up anyone carrying OC illegally (on college campus), but do know an officer who has successfully prosecuted people on that campus for possession of OC (and he's proud of it)!

I also don't think that we'll see OC removed from the FID anytime soon, sadly the legistraitors really don't give more than lip-service to their constituents!

They don't have the authority to do that even if they wanted to do so. One needs BOTH the FID AND written authorization from the person in charge of the school. BPD can only arrest those that take this advice to heart!!
Oh, I know. I was being a smart alec. Should have used the sarcasm button. ; )

Sorry to hear about your daughter.

This is my experience with LEO as well. But by all means, everyone should take action as they see fit.

Excellent!

In the case of Boston, with both Mayor and Commissioner lame ducks, and the status of the legislation pending, it didn't seem worthwhile.

I will add that I wrote Davis after I took my range test to compliment the officers at the range at Moon Island, and got back a nice letter thanking me and noting the letter would go in their personnel files. Which was my intent.

I attended and testified at Naughton's Holliston "listening tour" as well. For the record, he also forcefully stated about the OC FID requirement at that hearing "that's going away in the coming session".

Of course, he's a politician and his lips were moving, so we all know what that means...

I'm very sorry to hear this. These are the kind of cases I would have liked to be on the jury for . . . sadly the punishment that I think is appropriate is also illegal! I hope your Daughter is someday able to put it all behind her.

Likewise I took heat but never jacked up anyone carrying OC illegally (on college campus), but do know an officer who has successfully prosecuted people on that campus for possession of OC (and he's proud of it)!

I also don't think that we'll see OC removed from the FID anytime soon, sadly the legistraitors really don't give more than lip-service to their constituents!
Well, Len, maybe your former colleague will change his mind and smug attitude if a female relative or close friend (maybe his own daughter!) falls victim to sexual attack and has no means of defending herself. Somehow, clowns like him only learn when it hits home. A former Lawrence judge was very easy on car thieves. Until the day his own prized Cadillac was stolen, then found stripped and burned in Spanish Harlem. NYPD gave him the bad news and he was a changed man. After that, no person arrested on car theft charges wanted to end up in that judge's courtroom!

Well, Len, maybe your former colleague will change his mind and smug attitude if a female relative or close friend (maybe his own daughter!) falls victim to sexual attack and has no means of defending herself. Somehow, clowns like him only learn when it hits home. A former Lawrence judge was very easy on car thieves. Until the day his own prized Cadillac was stolen, then found stripped and burned in Spanish Harlem. NYPD gave him the bad news and he was a changed man. After that, no person arrested on car theft charges wanted to end up in that judge's courtroom!

Sadly that is oftentimes what it takes.

Maybe it is what colors my opinion on the matter. A very close friend was raped inside the Wollaston T station on her way home from work (before 7PM)! Two women that I dated were assaulted/raped (one got away, the other raped by a relative - her life was messed up beyond belief for many years).

Child molesters and rapists don't last very long in gen pop. Too bad there is no way to spread the word...

Did the BPD just make it ok to have pepper spray on school property?

Was "make sure you have a full bladder" on the list? I couldn't read the small print.

Sure. Unless they dislike, suspect, or wish to make an example of you. Last I checked, BPD has no authority to make or alter laws.

So what you're saying is the judge was devoid of empathy and this is the kind of pathetic human being the state of MA appoints as judges. Disgusting.

Child molesters and rapists don't last very long in gen pop. Too bad there is no way to spread the word...

I've heard this one plenty of times, but I see no evidence that it's true. I've heard of too many molesters being released.

I've heard this one plenty of times, but I see no evidence that it's true. I've heard of too many molesters being released.

That's because their crimes were not revealed in Gen Pop. During the process, you are initially put into a general holding population for arraignment. After that, child molesters and the like are separated into their own block while they wait for trial. If the news comes out about what they did while they are awaiting arraignment...

For instance, a guy was in gen pop holding waiting for arraignment, news showed his face with the story "Man who raped his 10 year old niece is behind bars tonight" I think they got him to the prison docs in time to stop the bleeding before it stopped for good, but I'm not sure.

Thanks... as far as what the DA might do.. someone in class brought that up. "If the DA ever finds out" was his comment, fwiw.

Don't listen to them. I got suspended for got caught with a knife, plus they found so many firearm magazines in my backpack XD. They think i am a nut job. The Dean was a racist ****. pepper spray is illegal to sell without FID what the hell are they thinking?

Don't listen to them. I got suspended for got caught with a knife, plus they found so many firearm magazines in my backpack XD. They think i am a nut job. The Dean was a racist ****. pepper spray is illegal to sell without FID what the hell are they thinking?

sue for discrimination

Back
Top Bottom