• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Police Urge Students to Carry Pepper Spray

pprspry_zps0065db85.jpg

DistrictA-1CharlestownRobberyAlertOctober2013_zps67853c4f.jpg

They should put a big asterisk next to that one.

Also what is the status of the legislation on that? I thought that was supposed to be a slam dunk. /sarc

Last edited:
They should put a big asterisk next to that one.

Also what is the status of the legislation on that? I thought that was supposed to be a slam dunk.

Just like all the other times it was "going to pass". It'll probably die again. The legistraitors will do nothing to help us, you can take that to the bank!

Just like all the other times it was "going to pass". It'll probably die again. The legistraitors will do nothing to help us, you can take that to the bank!

I should have put a big sarcasm tag on that. Completely pathetic by all parties on that one.

Did the BPD just make it ok to have pepper spray on school property?

Was "make sure you have a full bladder" on the list? I couldn't read the small print.

That's Mumbles' new form of gun control. Have the police advise students to commit a felony and add to the prohibited person rolls. WTF?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Could certainly make for some interesting lawsuits. [grin]

A suit would be unlikely, but would be interesting is an entrapment by estoppel defense by a student carrying. Of course, for that to happen, the student would have to decline the inevitable "no jail time and no need to refresh your retainer" plea deal.

Last edited:
Did the BPD just make it ok to have pepper spray on school property?

They don't have the authority to do that even if they wanted to do so. One needs BOTH the FID AND written authorization from the person in charge of the school. BPD can only arrest those that take this advice to heart!!

That's Mumbles' new form of gun control. Have the police advise students to commit a felony and add to the prohibited person rolls. WTF?!?

Wouldn't surprise me if this was the real underlying reason they "suggest" this.

I hope they do change the pepper spray laws but isn't this news from last year?

Every year or two this bill gets proposed, they do the same song and dance (agreeing with us) and then do nothing to change the law. So, yes it could be dragged up year after year and still be "current"!

That's the weird thing. Kids in MA can carry a knife, a hammer, a frying pan, whatever, but a non lethal form of personal protection is prevented.

Shame on me for trying to apply logic to our legal system...

They don't have the authority to do that even if they wanted to do so. One needs BOTH the FID AND written authorization from the person in charge of the school. BPD can only arrest those that take this advice to heart!!

Wouldn't surprise me if this was the real underlying reason they "suggest" this.

Every year or two this bill gets proposed, they do the same song and dance (agreeing with us) and then do nothing to change the law. So, yes it could be dragged up year after year and still be "current"!

Remember after the death of Amy Lord and the outcry to change the law? And they still have done nothing. I think it was Linsky who said on Dan Roche's radio program that he guaranteed it would be passed. Yeah right, still waiting.

Last edited:
The do indirectly via the "entrapment by estoppel" defense, although theBPD cold argue they were never advocating unlicensed carry or carry on college campuses.

Certain factions are unlikely to support unlicensed pepper spray as doing so it endorsing the concept of armed (though lightly) self defense. Since a legislator would look uncaring for opposing such legalization, the death of such bills probably occur in some back room without an up/down vote.

Last edited:
It only says to consider carrying pepper spray, it doesn't say that you should actually do so. [rolleyes]

How many of today's youth, when someone says "consider doing this...", "we ask that you refrain from doing...", or "we'd rather you didn't..." is it mentally replaced with "definitely do this", "absolutely do that", or "HELL YA! Let's do this!"

How many of today's youth, when someone says "consider doing this...", "we ask that you refrain from doing...", or "we'd rather you didn't..." is it mentally replaced with "definitely do this", "absolutely do that", or "HELL YA! Let's do this!"

That is true with much of the English language - look how "asking you to" is often used when "ordering you to" would be more accurate.

That's the weird thing. Kids in MA can carry a knife, a hammer, a frying pan, whatever, but a non lethal form of personal protection is prevented.

Shame on me for trying to apply logic to our legal system...
Actually, the courts have not been sympathetic to the argument that a "knife is a tool" when carried on school grounds.

After the Amy Lord case and with Menino a lame dick, BPD officers (most of whom have wives and daughters) have in a number of cases in which I am personally familiar recommended that women carry pepper spray.

I know this does not conform with the groupthink here about all things Boston. Sorry.

Note this also suggests a strenuous physical defense against an assault. This is the same advice given to my daughter when she went to a class conducted by BPD about subway safety for students.

Last edited:
After the Amy Lord case and with Menino a lame dick, BPD officers (most of whom have wives and daughters) have in a number of cases in which I am personally familiar recommended that women carry pepper spray.

I know this does not conform with the groupthink here about all things Boston. Sorry.

Note this also suggests a strenuous physical defense against an assault. This is the same advice given to my daughter when she went to a class conducted by BPD about subway safety for students.

Just as with 2A issues, the opinions of the rank-and-file, and that of the bosses, may differ.

Sucks.
"Officer Friendly told me that I should have it, your Honor," is not, I think, a viable defense.

Len, at the end of the day, the women who are "aware" will carry OC and the rest won't. Many students are from out of state and I doubt that they will spend the time, hassle and C-note for an NR LTC to carry OC in Boston. And, as you mentioned, good luck getting permission from the college/university high command to do so, even if they are licensed. Many are likely to be quietly carrying self-defense weapons. Years ago, I purchased a new truck and had to physically appear at my insurance company's office to sign off on paperwork. A young woman (late 20s, maybe early 30s) was there also, with her two kids, to do the same thing. When her daughter knocked over her purse, out spilled several items, including a blackjack. By her dress and demeanor, she seemed to be an upper middle class suburban wife and mother. She was also a felon waiting to be discovered. You never know what people are carrying. It is only a crime if you get caught, I guess.

ahhh I see what they did there try to trick law abiding people into becoming felons... classic

Just as with 2A issues, the opinions of the rank-and-file, and that of the bosses, may differ.

Sucks.
"Officer Friendly told me that I should have it, your Honor," is not, I think, a viable defense.
That is true. And when some dbag breaks into your car at 2am on a Saturday night, it is the rank-and-file who make the decisions about what is charged.

Not defending the law in any way, I've been explaining the laws and suggesting change is required to many people in Boston.

Back
Top Bottom