Boston Police Snubby collection

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
At the last show I decided to go light on the display, brought snubbies rather than the usual duty guns.

Two old top breaks from the 1800's, two Bankers Specials from 1932, a Colt Cobra, a Colt Detective Special and two model 36 Chief's Specials, and for the kids and young people who only think a semi is a gun, a Glock 19

IMG_20170128_074739686.jpg

Do you know which calibers the BPD used between 1920-1934? I'm curious about that time period. I know NYCPD was transitioning from .32S&W Long (Colt Pocket Positives and S&W 1903 Hand Ejectors) to .38Spl (Colt Police Positives) and I was curious if BPD was undergoing the same shift.

Great collection btw.

BPD used .38 S&W's from the mid 1800's until they moved to .38 Special. The move was around the late 30's. My matched set of 3 sequentially numbered Colt Officers Model Target revolvers were all .38 SP and shipped in 1932.

PB290305_zps329810bb.jpg

PART_1422142325029_IMG_20150124_085241186_zpsgk9tabgs.jpg

Thanks. I wasn't sure if BPD has used the .32SW or not. Was there an "issued" pistol in .38S&W or just what the officer purchased?

Also did BPD use belt holsters? Or did they use pocket holsters similar to NYCPD during that time?

Thanks. I wasn't sure if BPD has used the .32SW or not. Was there an "issued" pistol in .38S&W or just what the officer purchased?

Also did BPD use belt holsters? Or did they use pocket holsters similar to NYCPD during that time?

BPD always issued revolvers, and they had to be turned back in. I am not sure about holsters

I have my father's 1958-made Colt Police Positive .38spl, 6" bbl that he carried as a police officer here on the Cape in the 1960's. I'm not a big wheel gun fan but I do shoot that one occasionally.

I prefer the Police Positive to the Officer's model. The Positive is a slightly smaller frame. Fits my hand better, still shoots great. I've got one in .32S&W that has marking indicating that it was a service pistol. Waiting on the letter from Colt to authenticate.

Aloha

I recently bought this S&W B.P.D marked model 10-5 in .38 spcl. Funny, the pics really show the wear on this gun. It looks much better in real life! I like it, though. The C949*** ser. no. indicates a 1966 year of manufacture, same as me. The department stamp reads, "B.P.D. 1232-M"
I have sent in a letter request in order to glean any other info. Yours is a really nice collection!

IMG_1579.jpg IMG_1580.jpg IMG_1581.jpg IMG_1582.jpg

Pretty cool. Anybody know what they are carrying now?
If I had to guess, I'd go with Glocks, but I'm claiming total ignorance!

Add: Yes, a quick search shows BPD officers can choose between 3 Glock models. All are chambered in .40 cal.

Last edited:
I wish I had my father’s S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Spl he carried in Korea, he was not a big gun guy and sold it once he wasn’t on active duty. He only had two guns at home while I was growing up a Sears .22LR Bolt Action and a WWI Surplus Springfield 30-06 he had for home protection.

I wish I had my father’s S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Spl he carried in Korea, he was not a big gun guy and sold it once he wasn’t on active duty. He only had two guns at home while I was growing up a Sears .22LR Bolt Action and a WWI Surplus Springfield 30-06 he had for home protection.
I've never heard of a Combat Masterpiece (although, I am admittedly a newbie). Was it a snubbie? I can certainly understand where you're coming from. That would have been a wonderful heirloom.

It was the full sized police revolver of the era.

I remember him saying his mother bought it for him at the suggestion of a Police Officer friend when she heard he was going overseas to Korea, the feeling was that the Army issued 1911s were all worn out pieces from WWII.

Last edited:
It was the full sized police revolver of the era.

I remember him says his mother bought it for him at the suggestion of a Police Officer friend when she heard he was going overseas to Korea, the feeling was that the Army issued 1911s were all worn out pieces from WWII.
Wow, those are nice. What a story, too! Those were the days when everyone was a patriot. Far cry from today. Thanks for sharing.

I recently bought this S&W B.P.D marked model 10-5 in .38 spcl. Funny, the pics really show the wear on this gun. It looks much better in real life! I like it, though. The C949*** ser. no. indicates a 1966 year of manufacture, same as me. The department stamp reads, "B.P.D. 1232-M"
I have sent in a letter request in order to glean any other info. Yours is a really nice collection!

View attachment 364816View attachment 364817View attachment 364818View attachment 364819

Glad to see you lettering it. I letter all my BPD guns, both Smith and Colt

View attachment 364816View attachment 364817View attachment 364818View attachment 364819

Do the grips number to the gun?

Awesome display. Could a 38 S&W even stop someone hellbent on attacking you? My guess is no. What is it anything more than a noisemaker?

Back
Top Bottom