Boston mayoral election

Marty Walsh had some pretty strong anti-gun ADS on TV this week-end. Those ADs were "shot" in a neighborhood while he was surrounded by the "mothers" of victims. I thought the ADs were quite a turn-a-round from the alleged pro 2A stance he projected in the GOAL rating. Marty wants more "street workers." Yeah, that's worked well-not. I heard John Connolly say that Education and good neighborhood schools were the ground work for reducing violence. Kids need to get to know their neighborhood pals and one good way to achieve that is by having them attend the local schools. I'm going with Connolly. Marty Walsh has his seat on Beacon Hill to return to. He can continue to show us how strongly he supports the rights of Boston's law abiding citizens. Personally, I do not see a friendlier 2A environment for Boston with either of these two guys.
Best regards.

Just read that super PACs and unions have dropped $2mil on this race, $1.65mil of which went to Walsh. He hasn't even won yet and he is corrupt...

Just read that super PACs and unions have dropped $2mil on this race, $1.65mil of which went to Walsh. He hasn't even won yet and he is corrupt...

I can't claim he is corrupt. As a state rep, Marty earned $175K from the building and trades union per year for his work on their behalf. He is collecting his state rep salary and has the opportunity to vote on many issues that bring income to his union. It may be ethical but I find it too sticky. I don't dislike him, I just believe that John Connolly is the better candidate. I also think JC showed the most courage by announcing his run BEFORE Menino announced his retirement.
Best regards.

From Boston Ward 21:

Q: How will you try to reduce gun violence in Boston? And will you continue Mayor Menino's efforts as a national advocate for gun control?

Marty Walsh:

John Connolly:

Kind of a toss up in my mind. Marty Walsh says more of the right things with respect to targeting the actual problems. Connolly on the other hand is mouthing all the typical gun ban talking points. It's hard to say if he's sincere or just reenforcing the echo chamber.

I'm a bit leery of Walsh only because he's actually been shot and can't not affect the way he feels about guns.

It's a touch call from the 2A perspective, but ultimately I doubt it either one of these guys will do much to change the status quo.

As with 99.9% of the pol's in this state, they both are not even poor, they're terrible in a lot of ways. But from those two statements, I think Connolly is angling to be Bloomberg's next partner in MAIG. Walsh is a union puppet but Connolly is a D who would be a puppet largely too. From an outsider, it look's like Walsh would be a crook who focused more on the working class whereas Connolly will be the crook who is cozy with beacon hill, back bay and moonbat crowd.

Connolly openly pushes for the AWB, background checks, etc. where at least walsh says he wants to go after the gangs. We'll see.

As with 99.9% of the pol's in this state, they both are not even poor, they're terrible in a lot of ways. But from those two statements, I think Connolly is angling to be Bloomberg's next partner in MAIG. Walsh is a union puppet but Connolly is a D who would be a puppet largely too. From an outsider, it look's like Walsh would be a crook who focused more on the working class whereas Connolly will be the crook who is cozy with beacon hill, back bay and moonbat crowd.

Connolly openly pushes for the AWB, background checks, etc. where at least walsh says he wants to go after the gangs. We'll see.

Connolly has been quite involved over the years in trying to reform Boston School assignments. The only reason Menino got behind any changes this PAST year was because he was feeling the pressure from the parents who were mobilized by John Connolly. John Connolly has been an advocate for the working class. There aren't that many middle class left in Boston, let alone going to BPS.
BTW:Crooks don't focus on anyone but themselves. Walsh is the Beacon Hill insider. He's got all the Beacon Hill endorsements, as well he should, he's been State Rep for several years. Walsh has all the PAC money and all the Union support. All of that indicates that Marty Walsh is beholden to everyone but the taxpayer. Boston already has an "AWB Ban," and background checks. There's no chance those items will be overturned. Connolly believes the key to reducing "gang" affiliation lies within the scope of improving the schools. It will take years but not much else has worked since the Nineties. The environment for Boston's lawful, gun owners is not going to change much regardless of which man gets elected.
Best regards.

Walsh is a big time union guy who said that the first thing he will address if he wins is "gun violence in the streets". Connolly wants to audit schools. Big difference there, imo. Connolly has been pretty silent on the 2A front, which makes me somewhat hopeful.

I'm pretty sure that I saw a Connolly ad that mentioned getting illegal guns off the streets, but not as blatant as Walsh.

I wouldn't expect any pro gun talk from any politician in Boston, whether they are local, state, or federal politicians. Just not going to happen.

To expect otherwise is unrealistic IMHO.

You are all making very good points.

BTW some of the polls are showing Connelly in the lead, others show Walsh. Both organizations believe it's going to be really close so I'm glad you are all stepping up.

BTW it is said that the only one of the candidates that Menino dislikes more than Connelly is Walsh. He's held his nose and taken some limited steps to support Connelly a little to save some of his people - department heads, commissioners and the like. But it is widely believed that either one will clean house.

BTW it is said that the only one of the candidates that Menino dislikes more than Connelly is Walsh. He's held his nose and taken some limited steps to support Connelly a little to save some of his people - department heads, commissioners and the like. But it is widely believed that either one will clean house.

They pretty much always do, especially the department heads and other top level people. Ed Davis is already gone, so he might have known something before hand. The Fire Commissioner was supposedly planning his exit. Hopefully the witch in charge of the Public Health Commission will join them. Others will follow. I think the rule of thumb is that the closer they were to Menino, the less job security they'll have.

Let's hope so. Whoever wins will get a call or email from me regarding a new CoP, that's for sure.

Don't expect a lot of change. If Evans gets the job, things will move along pretty much as they have under Davis. There will be some changes, but I wouldn't expect the LTC process to change.

I'm pretty sure that I saw a Connolly ad that mentioned getting illegal guns off the streets, but not as blatant as Walsh.

I wouldn't expect any pro gun talk from any politician in Boston, whether they are local, state, or federal politicians. Just not going to happen.

To expect otherwise is unrealistic IMHO.
This. Its career suicide. If you want to get elected in Boston and you ever enjoyed shooting, you say you are scared of guns and want them all off the streets. What you do after you are elected is your choice, except if you want to have a career or just 4 years in politics.

They pretty much always do, especially the department heads and other top level people. Ed Davis is already gone, so he might have known something before hand. The Fire Commissioner was supposedly planning his exit. Hopefully the witch in charge of the Public Health Commission will join them. Others will follow. I think the rule of thumb is that the closer they were to Menino, the less job security they'll have.
I think inspectional services will be destroyed if Walsh wins. They have abused the contractors for 20 years. Did you ever wait in line down there behind a few contractors to see the dynamic?

BTW some of the polls are showing Connelly in the lead, others show Walsh. Both organizations believe it's going to be really close so I'm glad you are all stepping up.

See but if I had a vote that would influence me. If menino hates someone that much, how can that be a negative?

Did any of you posters see this story on FOX? The owner of Cedar Groves on Adams Street votes in Boston but lives in Brockton. He's not the only one breaking the law in this regard.
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/23865142/fox-undercover-former-residents-casting-boston-ballots

I think inspectional services will be destroyed if Walsh wins. They have abused the contractors for 20 years. Did you ever wait in line down there behind a few contractors to see the dynamic?

It's not much fun for the rest of us who act as our own "General Contractor" and wait in line behind all the professional contractors. It should be First In, First Out.
Dealing with individual inspectors who come out to the site has not been bad.

Are you implying that there is voter fraud in the Commiewealth? Hush yo mouth.

Fox 25 has it! It will be interesting to see what happens when Mr. Cedar Groves shows up in Dorchester tomorrow to vote! The Boston Election Commissioner has been told about him and Fox has his statement.
I'm not exaggerating when I say Ward 18 in Hyde Park has lots and lots of "illegal voters" casting ballots. Not one person in charge will ever allow this issue to be addressed.
Best regards.

Around 80,000 people had voted by 3pm, according to the election department. Sure seems like it will be close.

I've been voting in Ward 18 Hyde Park for 35 years. This election marks the first time a Mayoral contender has been at the polling place doing a meet and greet. John Connolly was here at 7 A.M. when my neighbor voted and still there at 11 A.M. when I arrived. The counter on the tabulator showed I was voter 146 and that number is up by 100 votes and more from previous years. It will be interesting to hear what the final % of voter turnout is.
Best regards.

It's Boston, the fix is in Walsh will win.

Last edited:
It's Boston, the fix is in Connolly will win.

Explain?
Seriously. I don't think either of these guys is capable of a 'fix'.

That said, I'll confess my own disposition. I didn't vote - just couldn't get motivated. In doing the math I just wasn't able to get any feel for how my life (or my city for that matter) would be better or worse off with one or the other.

My wife's union was behind Walsh but I'd be surprised if she actually got around to voting herself.

I'm just happy not to have people ringing the door and having to pick up and discard a stack of campaign pamphlets every day.

Seriously. I don't think either of these guys is capable of a 'fix'.

That said, I'll confess my own disposition. I didn't vote - just couldn't get motivated. In doing the math I just wasn't able to get any feel for how my life (or my city for that matter) would be better or worse off with one or the other.

My wife's union was behind Walsh but I'd be surprised if she actually got around to voting herself.

I'm just happy not to have people ringing the door and having to pick up and discard a stack of campaign pamphlets every day.

I don't blame you for not voting. There just is not much of a difference between them, they are just typical D's. One thing I think might hurt Connolly is his very limited campaign. He seemed fixated on education and being the "education mayor". That I think only sells to certain people. How much does a 60 yr old with adult kids care about the schools? How much does a 25 yr old? He should have pushed several issues and not focus so much on the schools.

Back
Top Bottom