Boston mayoral election

kalash

NES Member
The primary is coming up soon so I figured I'd research the candidates. Are any of them pro-gun?? I saw clearly that Clemons, Conley, Consalvo, Richie, and Ross are big-time antis. The others didn't really have anything specific to say on the topic, as far as I can tell. Arroyo, Walczak, and Walsh are dems so most likely anti... That leaves Barros, Connolly, Wyatt, and Yancey - any of them ok?

So should I abstain from voting? Or should I vote for the guy without a chance - simply based on principal? Or should I vote for Mike Ross because someone else doesn't stand a chance 'and my vote isn't going to count'? I haven't followed the Boston mayoral race, mainly because I don't plan on staying here much longer. But I'd at least like to vote for someone who isn't an idiot.

So should I abstain from voting? Or should I vote for the guy without a chance - simply based on principal? Or should I vote for Mike Ross because someone else doesn't stand a chance 'and my vote isn't going to count'? I haven't followed the Boston mayoral race, mainly because I don't plan on staying here much longer. But I'd at least like to vote for someone who isn't an idiot.

No I'd go ahead and vote for the guy you want. Always do that. Just know its not going to matter. You're talking about Boston Strong. The city that thinks lockdown and SWAT going door to door is OK.

If you want gun rights, move to NH or VT.

There were several mini-threads posted a few days ago covering the Boston mayor's election.
Here's one

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...does-great-job-balancing-civil-liberties.html

And the other one is found on Page 6 or 7 . It's about Mike Ross's plan for California.
Information about each candidate can be found on their individual websites. No matter which one of these people gets the vote, gun-owners lose.
Best regards.

You will win powerball twice before you see a pro gun mayor in boston. And hopefully the new mayor speaks english unlike the present one.

Last edited:
Vote for who most reflect your principle and values. You might think that it's a wasted vote but if you don't vote who best reflects you then why would anyone else? if we keep having to choose between two turds nothing will ever change. Tell people who you're voting for and why.

Figure out who the unions are backing and vote for them... at least you'll finally have a chance to vote for someone who wins?[crying]

.... seriously though, there's no hope for that city, pick whoever you want.

BOSTON STRONG
Yeah, Mr. so bold he doesn't even put where he lives on his profile. If you want to run away - go right ahead - it's a free country.

Here's what Boston Strong means in my neighborhood - a boxing match to raise money for the victims. So **** off.
IMG_0035-L.jpg

OP, here's the deal. For a Boston mayoral candidate to spout off about 2A after Newtown would be as stupid as some of the people posting in this thread: they might feel good about it, but it would do nothing positive. You have to go more by what they are not saying.

The three front runners appear to be Connelly, Conley, and Walsh. Conley is on record with lots of anti-stuff. Connelly is primarily running on reforming the educational system and improving economic opportunity. Walsh has a GOAL A rating as a state rep but hasn't mentioned 2A.

Here is a candidate questionnaire where they all had equal opportunity to respond.

Walsh has been taking a beating in the press for taking union money. Conley has a lot of connections but looks really creepy on TV. If I had to bet right now, I'd bet Connelly versus Walsh, but that could change. I live in Dorchester now and used to live in Southie, but I don't know who is stronger in the other neighborhoods.

They are all scared to own guns, BUT... do not vote for a lawyer - always anti gun. Don't vote for a moon bat. That should thin the herd a bit. It is a process of elimination. If you get to a few remaining, do the coin toss. Hopefully your choice will have some crusade, like improving education, to distract him from the anti-gun pests he will encounter over the next 4 years.

No I'd go ahead and vote for the guy you want. Always do that. Just know its not going to matter. You're talking about Boston Strong. The city that thinks lockdown and SWAT going door to door is OK.

If you want gun rights, move to NH or VT.
Awesome! Martha Coakley, Mayor Menino, Dan Conley and Mr. Rosenthal thank you for helping make their work easier! Fight for gun rights - oh, except when it's too hard. You rock - I bet you even have a 2A tattoo! That's invisible.

So, a friend of mine is a big Dan Conley Supporter - known him all his life. I've prepared a "Why Dan Conloy is going to lose the Bsoton Mayoral race" to point up a few issues. Feel free to help me feed the flames:

Testimony of District Attorney Conley in Support of An Act to Combat Gun Violence

An Act to Combat Gun Violence

Just to prove that people lie in polls:

With just over a week until election day, Boston voters remain flummoxed by the crowded mayoral race, with City Councilor John R. Connolly holding a slight edge in a field so tightly bunched and volatile that as many as nine candidates have a plausible shot at the final, a Globe poll shows.

Connolly, who registered 13 percent in the survey, is a few points ahead of a tight cluster of candidates that includes former city housing chief Charlotte Golar Richie, who polled just ahead of state Representative Martin J. Walsh and Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.

The field is so closely clustered that nine candidates fell within the poll’s margin of error of plus or minus 4.8 percentage points, giving many campaigns a shot at becoming one of the two top vote-getters who advance to the decisive final election. That includes political newcomers John F. Barros and Bill Walczak, along with City Councilors Rob Consalvo, Felix G. Arroyo, and Michael P. Ross.
That Conley is polling behind Walsh (who has union money) and Charlotte Golar Richie (a Navy veteran, who does not) despite his TV advertising can't be making him feel too good. But they polled a total of 411 people.

Last edited:
There's fighting for rights and doing nothing, I.e. voting for people who have no chance of winning in a state that is arguably the most liberal in the country.

I fail to see how you're fighting for gun rights in MA. The only thing left is to start shooting. Other than that you're really just sitting around letting it all happen.

There is NO good choice in voting for Mayor of Boston. It is clearly an issue of voting for the lesser of all evils. I've known Dan Conley for decades, he knows me. It should have been an easy choice, voting for Dan. There is no way I can fill in the dot for Dan based on his alleged campaign against illegal guns when he is clearly attacking lawful gun owners. Marty Walsh can stay in the legislature and cause less harm for gun owners. It is easy to criticize those of us living in Boston or say we should fight back. Aside from being members of GOAL, the NRA and supporting Comm2A, there is no fighting back. There's living with it or leaving it.
Best regards.

There's fighting for rights and doing nothing, I.e. voting for people who have no chance of winning in a state that is arguably the most liberal in the country.

I fail to see how you're fighting for gun rights in MA. The only thing left is to start shooting. Other than that you're really just sitting around letting it all happen.
Thanks for schooling us.

If you fail to see how what we are doing is fighting for gun rights, fill me in on quitting and running away is better? I think it's a cowardly, self-serving rationalization. Go find a NH thread to spam, we have work to do.

Last night I gave a buddy working for Dan Conley a page of "Why Dan Conley won't make the finals, thanks to lawful gun owners." And listed some of his policy ideas.

For example, he has proposed changing the license term from 6 to 2 years. The comment was "Boston LCF holders must take the range test at Moon Island to renew. This would necessitate range testing 4-5,000 people a year. Do the math." He also proposes requiring insurance.

Some of his proposed gun law changes are reasonable, then he gets carried away.

For those of you still fighting for gun rights in Massachusetts, I'd like to talk for a second about strategy. I realized early on that there are not enough gun owners to elect any single candidate. But there are enough gun owners to keep someone for being elected. And gun owners from outside Boston can contribute to keep the candidates least in tune to gun legislation off the final ballot.

With a dozen candidates it's not hard to find someone who is close to any candidate and to have a serious conversation with them - often with the candidate directly. Based on track record and conversations, my feeling was that John Connelly and Marty Walsh were the two candidates that were the most reasonable and open-minded on the issue. Two of the candidates that looked to be most opposed to 2A were Dan Conley and Mike Ross.

I've had very respectful conversations with staff members of both Conley and Ross in which I explained that "My friends and I" thought their policies on guns were unfair to lawful gun owners and ineffective in fighting violent crime: and that as a result, we would not be voting for them and in fact contributing o multiple other candidates to insure they did not make the "Finals." But this has been done in a manner that can keep the conversation going.

I gave one of Conley's associates a list of his proposals and the opinions of many legal gun owners, explaining they were unfair, unworkable, unlikely to reduce crime, or all three. And then explained that I thought he was a hard-working and honest man but that I would not be voting for him, and had in fact contributed to several other candidates whose views on this matter were more in line with what I thought were fair, reasonable and effective.

We also wrote Mike Ross, thanking him for his service on the City Council, and noting that [many] of his proposals were unworkable, unfair and likely ineffective.

Now, there are no shortage of fatalists here who don't think change can happen. But all change happens two ways: gradually and then subtly. If you don't think change is possible, after listening to Mayor Menino's testimony, listen to City Councilor John Connelly's response to a direct question about the Navy Yard shooting.

Bob Oakes: Following the Washington Navy Yard shooting this week we’ve all been reminded about how big an issue gun violence is across America and Boston is certainly no exception. We’ve had our fair of it share here. You’ve talked about how community policing and a gun buy-back program will be parts of your plan to tackle the problem. But those alone won’t solve it, so what else?

Connelly: I think that we need a holistic plan for a comprehensive safe and healthy Boston initiative. And that means as much about law enforcement, as much about gun violence prevention, talking about how we’re going to deal with recovery, how we’re going to deal with mental health, how we’re going to deal with trauma, and making sure that when people need to get help, we can get them that help.

And right now in Boston if you’re battling addiction there’s no guarantee you can get to a recovery home or facility when you need it. We have resources most cities can only dream of, and we have got to work together to find a better way to leverage resources to everyone in Boston. I want to create an office of recovery services that will focus strictly on trying to expand the recovery infrastructure out there. I also want to connect that to mental health services and to trauma services.

Anyone notice what he doesn't say?.

No mayor of Boston is going to be mistaken for Charlton Heston. But what we can earn is a place at the table when violent crime is being discussed. Even some of the most "progressive" politicians in Boston have now started to realize that more and more gun laws have done nothing to make Boston safer. They are looking for other ways that will actually work. Gradually (too damned gradually in my opinion) the businessmen, veterans, law enforcement officers and sportsmen that make up the body of gun owners are starting to have a voice.

We won't be strong enough any time soon to win any elections, at least in eastern Mass. But we sure as hell can decide who loses as was the case with Stephen Lynch.

And for those of you who have given up and moved: nothing would say "FU" more than letting candidates like Dan Conley or Mike Ross or others know you can't vote in Boston but helped their defeat nonetheless by contributing to others. It could be a token contribution. - $10 or $25 - but will help turn up the volume of our voice.

Last edited:
This absolutely flabbergasts me. As of 1350, per the Globe.

Turnout appeared to be relatively light around midday today as voters headed to the polls in chilly, bright weather to cast ballots in Boston’s preliminary mayoral election. Today’s election will winnow the field of 12 mayoral candidates to two hopefuls who will face off in a final election on Nov. 5.

According to turnout numbers released by the city at noon, 39,451 voters, or 10.71 percent of registered voters, had cast ballots. That turnout is about 12,000 more votes that had been cast as of noon in the 2009 municipal election, when under 8 percent of voters had cast ballots by the same time.

In precincts where candidates live, the highest turnout was in the Savin Hill section of Dorchester. Two candidates—State Representative Martin J. Walsh and former health care executive Bill Walczak – both live in ward 13 precinct 10, where turnout at noon was 20 percent.

That was followed by a precinct in West Roxbury home to City Councilor John R. Connolly. Ward 20 precinct 10 had a turnout of 18 percent, according to the Election Department. The third highest home precinct turnout belonged to Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, who lives ward 20, precinct 20 in West Roxbury. Turnout there was 15 percent.

At the opposite end of the scale, only 5 percent of voters had cast ballots in City Councilor Michael P. Ross’s home precinct in Mission Hill. Former city housing chief Charlotte Golar Richie was doing only slightly better in her home precinct on Meeting House Hill in Dorchester, where 7 percent had cast ballots.
Several campaigns have said that the difference between first and third place may be "A few hundred votes."

And there are people here saying that it's a lost cause and we can't make a difference. 8,000 gun owners are going to make a difference.

Last edited:
This absolutely flabbergasts me. As of 1350, per the Globe.

Several campaigns have said that the difference between first and third place may be "A few hundred votes."

And there are people here saying that it's a lost cause and we can't make a difference. 8,000 gun owners are going to make a difference.

8,000 gun owners vs. how many EBT card holders?

If people thought you could get 8k gun owners to vote they'd just use more campaign money to bus welfare families to the polls.

I feel for you, I really do. It's just that we've all spent decades voting and nothing is getting better. There's hope and then there's facts.

Any exit polling yet?

Doubt anyone is going to go there with 12 candidates.

The campaigns are taking statistics online. If the turnout doesn't increase, I predict John Connelly versus Martin Walsh. Barros and Golar-Ritchie aren't being supported by their neighborhoods, which was not what was being predicted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom