Boston crime: ‘It’s a war zone’

Tourist areas see big spike

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tourist hot spots such as Newbury Street, the North End and the Navy Yard, home of Old Ironsides, which attract out-of-towners by the droves, also are drawing vicious thieves and mayhem-minded thugs in a crime wave that has alarmed merchants and visitors fearing for their safety.

“It’s a war zone. There’s a battle here every day,” said Karl Volker, 54, owner of Super Socks in Downtown Crossing, who blames roving bands of teens for the nearly 20 percent spike in larcenies in the area.

“The little monsters ruin your day every day. It creates a bad culture and there’s no consequences for these kids who travel in packs,” Volker said.

“The impression is (Boston’s) a small town, so nonthreatening. We felt safe. I’ll be more alert and holding my bag closer to me.” said Susan Mulligan, 68, of Del Ray Beach, Fla., in town visiting her sister at the Navy Yard, which has seen a 33 percent surge in property theft and overall crime.

READ MORE

So, based on 1/351 municipalities in MA, what new laws will they throw at the rest of us to "fix" THEIR problem?

Progressive parenting and ridiculously tough gun laws didn't prevent this? That makes no sense.[rolleyes]

Either that or this guy is a real pansy and someone should send him to a REAL war zone so he can learn the distinction.

'A few doors down, Scott Trask, a Brinks messenger leaving Cartier, said thieves in many of the city’s shopping areas are often well organized. Trask noted one woman who ripped off H&M clothes store within the last week, for example, and ran outside to a waiting car.

“It happens all the time,” Trask said. “People are getting desperate nowadays. We’re pretty safe because we have firearms, but other people really need to watch out.” '
[laugh2]

'A few doors down, Scott Trask, a Brinks messenger leaving Cartier, said thieves in many of the city’s shopping areas are often well organized. Trask noted one woman who ripped off H&M clothes store within the last week, for example, and ran outside to a waiting car.

“It happens all the time,” Trask said. “People are getting desperate nowadays. We’re pretty safe because we have firearms, but other people really need to watch out.” '
[laugh2]

That's the only sentence that caught my eye as well!!

I don't understand how Downtown Crossing can be such a hot spot for crimes committed by packs of kids, the police presence there is noticeable.

Oh, wait, could it be because the cops are often hanging out in their own "pack" near the intersection of Washington & Winter Streets? Nah.

I'm pretty sure that making $12/hr to carry a bag of money around a "war zone" more or less negates the advantage of "Being safe cause you have a gun."

Back
Top Bottom