Boston "Armor Piercing" Ammo Bill

GOAL

NES Member
Boy is this awesome. One more reason to avoid Boston. [thinking]

So, everybody knows if their jacketed ammo has a jacket weight that is more than 25 percent of the total projectile weight, right?

“Armor-piercing ammunition” (a) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or (b) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

And a first offense could get you 10 years in prison (probably should just ditch any such ammo and go rob a bank instead):

Section 6. Any person who violates the provisions of this act shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) and not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or imprisonment for not less than one year and not more than ten years or by both such fine and imprisonment. A second or subsequent offense shall be punished by a fine of not less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) and not more than fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) or by imprisonment of not less than five years and not more than fifteen years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Cool! No grandfathering. But, hey, you could try for a permit... Probably better plan to "dispose" of the bad stuff properly!

Within ninety days of the effective date of this act, any person lawfully in possession of armor-piercing ammunition shall apply to the licensing authority of the City of Boston, or his designee, for a license to possess such ammunition pursuant to section 2 of this act. Any person denied a license to possess armor-piercing ammunition pursuant to this act shall, within ninety days of such denial, dispose of the armor-piercing ammunition in such a way as to not be in violation of this act. Any person who obtains armor-piercing ammunition that was lawfully held by the previous possessor under this act by bequest or intestate succession shall, within ninety days of so obtaining, either apply for a license to possess such armor-piercing ammunition or dispose of such ammunition in a manner not in violation of this act.

Last edited:
So are they going to equip the police with geiger counters to check for depleted uranium contents?! MORONS every one of them!!

I think this doesn't cover a standard 55 gr FMJ 223/556. Far as I know an AR15 will penetrate most vests police wear. ... the whole thing is stupid as hell anyway.

Can I still shoot tracers on Boston Common ?

I think this doesn't cover a standard 55 gr FMJ 223/556. Far as I know an AR15 will penetrate most vests police wear. ... the whole thing is stupid as hell anyway.

Can I still shoot tracers on Boston Common ?

It's not about logic, safety, ect. It's about posturing. Most people with a modicum of firearms knowledge understand that most rifle rounds, .22 notwithstanding, are going to be capable of piercing most body armor. Besides how often do you buy ammo that says "armor piercing" on the box? This is just feel good fluff for the antis so that they can say they "did something." The day that they ban every armor piercing round will be the day rifle hunting becomes illegal...

I worked at Nuclear Metals for a day.

I think that's sort of like saying "I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night".

These guys will stop at nothing.

I thought "armor piercing" and "cop killing" terms were stopped being referenced by the main (lame) stream media about 10 years ago.

But look out "assault weapon"! And you're on notice "assault rifle"! Maybe before the year is up we'll have to make room for "Saturday night special"!

JOINT COMMITTEE ON MUNICIPALITIES AND REGIONAL GOVERNMENT is holding a public hearing tomorrow on H.4059. This bill would effectively ban certain ammunition in Boston. The bill was buried in a long list of local bills.

Committee link: http://www.mass.gov/legis/comm/j10.htm

Bill Link: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht04pdf/ht04059.pdf

Hearing Bill List: http://www.mass.gov/legis/hearings/06-16-2009_DAILY_HEARING_LIST.htm

Bill terms are copied from Illinois law and federal law.

IL:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/072000050K24-2.1.htm

Fed:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c103:1:./temp/~c103C6BR1M:e690240

Last edited:
I would love to for once be in a room with these people that come up with these laws, there is always room to be shocked an awed by the amount of verbal diarrhea that they manage to put down on paper. Even with levels of retardation that far exceed our comprehension being spewed forth from their mouths (a translator would be required so intelligent people could understand), I would guess that it would be comparable to going to see a great comedy. It is indeed sad that for whatever reason people have not caught on that there are far more pressing matters that require attention. [thinking]

-Dan

go back and look at the thread with the Carolyn McCarthy interview..

" do you know what a barrel shroud is?"

'no I don't. I think it's the shoulder thingiey that goes up!"

f***in morons.

Looks like there's an AP ammo "loophole" though.

There's no mention of mercury core bullets (how they missed that one, I don't know).

From the data, forensic and ballistics results I've read, projectiles imbeded with
just a drop or two of Hg can inflict catastrophic/devastating results on the human body and easily tear through modern body armor like a chili fart through wet toilet paper.

Someone should alert Menino and the Boston City Council about this glaring omission.

"...a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun..."

Since they are talking about the bullet, not the cartridge, any rifle cartridges with Barnes or similar bullets in a diameter that will fit any pistol cartridge ever made will qualify you for 10 years.

There's no mention of mercury core bullets (how they missed that one, I don't know).

From the data, forensic and ballistics results I've read, projectiles imbeded with
just a drop or two of Hg can inflict catastrophic/devastating results on the human body and easily tear through modern body armor like a chili fart through wet toilet paper.

Someone should alert Menino and the Boston City Council about this glaring omission.

What about Dihydrogen Monoxide bullets? Those things are killers.

Looks like no one in city government has read "The Day of the Jackal."

I try to avoid Dihydrogen Monoxide as much as possible. I hear it causes cancer too.

It is definitely corrosive. I had a car in the yard that was exposed to that and within a couple of years there was almost nothing left of it. Slow, but insidious.

The state doesn't take it seriously, either. I called MEMA to ask for the MSDS sheets on it. They laughed and then threatened to send containers of it to me in the MAIL which must be a violation of some law or other.

Is LE exempt from this law or will it be like the bank robbery in Los Angeles when the bad guys walked around with immunity from the LE ammo.

This is a quick letter of opposition that we will be delivering to the Committee. The NSSF will also be delivering a letter of opposition dealing with the technical aspects.

I write to you today in opposition to H.4059 “An Act Relative to Possession of Armor-Piercing Ammunition in the City of Boston”. As written this bill does not punish or deal with criminal actions, but instead invents a victimless crime. This bill follows the same premise of the failed theories that led to the disastrous Gun Control Act of 1998.

Currently in Massachusetts lawful citizens must have a license to possess any ammunition. This includes empty brass casings, primers and any part of ammunition known as components. Simple possession of ammunition or components without a license in the Commonwealth is punishable under Chapter 269, Section 10(h)(1) by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $500. Aside from the existing state license, this proposal seeks to create a new “class” of ammunition and license specifically for the City of Boston.

The failed Gun Control Act of 1998 invented crimes, as does this proposal, by creating different classes of guns. That was followed by creating different classes of licensing. This led to a set of new laws that invented ways to punish otherwise lawful citizens who simply did not have the particular grade of license for the gun in their possession. Without any criminal intent, lawful citizens have lost their civil rights, and in many circumstances, been prosecuted. They were prosecuted not because they did not have a license, but because they did not have the particular grade of license that matched the gun in their possession. Quite often these incidents were caused by the incomprehensible gun laws in the Commonwealth, not because a citizen intended to commit a violation.

Punishments for levels of gun licenses for lawful citizens are an invented crime and a failed public policy. H.4059 unfortunately is attempting to add to that record of failure by now creating different classes of ammunition.

The bill also lumps together several elements (substances) in the same category that simply should not be. Around the nation there are laws banning lead ammunition. In these cases, ammunitions manufacturers are producing lead alternatives. These include solid copper projectiles, tungsten projectiles, alloys and so forth. To place these civilian marketable substances on the same list as “depleted uranium” is reckless at best. The inclusion of such elements in the bill fogs the issue.

Government has been calling for the ammunition industry to find so-called lead alternatives for years and the industry has responded. Now, it appears that the City of Boston intends to ban those alternatives by inventing classes of ammunition defined by certain substances.

I would urge the Committee to OPPOSE H.4059 “An Act Relative to Possession of Armor-Piercing Ammunition in the City of Boston”. This bill does nothing to address the actions of criminals. Like the bulk of the gun laws in the Commonwealth, this proposed piece of legislation would only jeopardize lawful citizens.

Back
Top Bottom