• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bootcamp and Guns at home.

Ok, so I will be leaving for Coast Guard Boot Camp in about three weeks. I own three pistols and a shotgun. I have two safes, one small pistol and one large (stack on cheap) for shotgun. I plan on shooting all my ammo prior to boot camp just so there's none in the house but I feel weird leaving them locked up. I am the only one with the key/combination and only one with training/permit to use them. Any tips or something I can do to feel better that they are left alone?

Also depending on where I get stationed I may or may not be able to bring them with me.

If you really are in CT there is nothing to worry about... home storage is unregulated, last I knew.

-Mike

No idea about the guns, but welcome to the C.G. Enjoy Cape May - I've heard the food is much better nowadays, and they allow you more sleep. Any ideas what you want to do with your time in?

UM, do you have any friends?

are you going active duty or reserves? do you own? or rent? married? single? that kinda drives the train on storage options.

congrats on your service to our nation. it is a commitment in its own... [cheers] drink water!!!! [laugh]

MCONNELLY, I plan to go into ME rate.

Wolf, I live with my parents they own a house. I'm going active, and no friends with permits. Also thank you.

Best of luck in the Coast Guard. My daughters boyfriend went through boot camp at Cape May last summer and is in the Reserves. I was surprised at how rigorous the training was. I went through USMC boot twenty five years ago and always thought that Coasties had a real easy boot. I was wrong.

He is Shore Security and they train alot with the Marines. Especially weapons. He is qualified with the Ma-Duece, M-60 and the SAW. And he qulified expert with the M-16 and Sig 229.

My daughter attended his Graduation last summer and if your friends and family are looking for a place to stay check out the Montreal Inn. It was very affordable, very close, and they cater to Coasties families.

As far as your firearms go, is there anyone that you would be comfortable leaving them with? If I was in Conn. I would gladly find room for them in one of my safes for you, but I am in Mass.

Best of luck at Cape May. If I had it all to do over again I would have considered the CG and might have stayed in

Once you have orders to your first unit (assuming you are going active), you might want to check in with your servicing armory and see if they store privately owned firearms. It depends on the unit, but many will store your firearms while you are attached. It is an option if you can't have them in housing or wherever you end up living. Welcome to the CG. I went to Cape May about 17 years ago and have enjoyed MOST of my time in the CG since then.

ME's are great. They WANT to do all the boardings and paperwork.

BigC, do yourself a favor and get to FLETC and get Boarding Officer certified as soon as you can. I'm sure you'll hear more about the recent changes to the certification process, but it has made certified BO's much more valuable to the unit. You want to be valuable to your unit. Trust me on that one. Get qualified in as much as you can, as soon as you can. Fully qualified=life is good, completely unqualified beyond the timeframe you should be=everybody hates you.

ME's are great. They WANT to do all the boardings and paperwork.

BigC, do yourself a favor and get to FLETC and get Boarding Officer certified as soon as you can. I'm sure you'll hear more about the recent changes to the certification process, but it has made certified BO's much more valuable to the unit. You want to be valuable to your unit. Trust me on that one. Get qualified in as much as you can, as soon as you can. Fully qualified=life is good, completely unqualified beyond the timeframe you should be=everybody hates you.

Pimpin the rate to the new guy, I love it. Yep, get BO certified, then you are covered by LEOSA [wink]

Yeah, as a Boatswain's Mate, I have an innate hatred of paperwork - and LE generates lots of 'paper' work (even if it's done on SWSIII and doesn't involve a single piece of actual paper, it still counts in my book!). That's why I like there to be other BO's that love that paperwork and those damned PDA's that only fail AFTER you enter the entire $^&ing Activity. I'll drop them off and pick them up all day so long as I can stay on my boat.

Yea have fun stacking ur mattresses in the quad....urll make a giant life boat with them haha...o n have fun loading supplies on any docked cutters there ...good luck stay safe

Yea have fun stacking ur mattresses in the quad....urll make a giant life boat with them haha...o n have fun loading supplies on any docked cutters there ...good luck stay safe

I CAN'T WAIT!!! lol honestly that sounds like fun and yea I know it's gonna probably the hardest thing I've ever done but am super excited for the challenge.

Back
Top Bottom