Bolt gun for deer in VT and NH

for the money, even the Savage Axis (not the II) is decent.. put the $20 M-Carbo spring kit in if you want to reduce trigger weight. At $350 reg price and about $250 on black Friday at BPS, I don't think there's anything new that would beat that price point.

Ruger American Ranch in 7.62 x 39

Awesome caliber an still available in quantity cheap.
This is really a not a bad VT rifle if your not poking it out too far.

Runner up choice would be a .350 legend. .243 if you have some longer shots. At his age, I'm sure the guy doesn't want to be beat up with recoil.

Rifle is lightweight, recoil not bad, ammo is available.

Ive got 3 Ruger Americans and they all shoot lights out. Good barrels, and can throw an Mcarbo spring in there and get a really sweet trigger.
All of mine have Vortex Diamondback scopes on them. KTP has them for like 100 bucks. Its decent glass with a lifetime warranty.

I've seen some RA's for 350 new,(not ranch model, or predator, but regular black stock model) though they are probably more like 400 now. With the glass......500 and your done.

Last edited:
Caliber does matter. I would not be handing my 70 year old father a 300 win mag.
That's kind of what I meant. I hear too many deer hunters saying "you've got to use a 300wm or you might as well be pissing in the wind", or "270 is the only reliable deer killer", this caliber this, this caliber that. I'm saying it does not matter. Hit them where you should, and it doesn't matter if you used a 223 or a 458WM.

for the money, even the Savage Axis (not the II) is decent.. put the $20 M-Carbo spring kit in if you want to reduce trigger weight. At $350 reg price and about $250 on black Friday at BPS, I don't think there's anything new that would beat that price point.

I have a Savage Axis in 30-06 and it is a great shooter but out of the box the trigger and scope seriously handicap the rife.

I replaced the trigger with a Timney and put a Nikon Prostaff scope on it and it made a world of difference. (As you and @Mark from MA recommended)

Proper barrel break in really helped the barrel settle it in. (I know that some believe in it and some don’t) Initially it only liked the Hornady American Whitetail in 180g. Now it shoots anything I have on hand from 150g to 180g equally well (different POI but nice tight groups)

As far as caliber goes I would still stick with the 35 REM that he is familiar with.

Bob

I have a Savage Axis in 30-06 and it is a great shooter but out of the box the trigger and scope seriously handicap the rife.

I replaced the trigger with a Timney and put a Nikon Prostaff scope on it and it made a world of difference. (As you and @Mark from MA recommended)

Proper barrel break in really helped the barrel settle it in. (I know that some believe in it and some don’t) Initially it only liked the Hornady American Whitetail in 180g. Now it shoots anything I have on hand from 150g to 180g equally well (different POI but nice tight groups)

As far as caliber goes I would still stick with the 35 REM that he is familiar with.

Bob
They probably exist but I’ve never seen a 35 REM bolt action. I’ve seen levers, semi-auto, pump and single shot but never a bolt gun.

Bob
This is why I kinda lean towards the Ruger....out of the box its a bit better rifle, even the trigger isn't bad, And if you don't like it, an Mcarbo spring cost 10 bucks. The three I have shot under an inch with factory ammo right out of the box once I scoped them, even with the crappy stock.

But I think either is a good choice for the entry level market. Tweak them up a bit with really good glass and a magpul hunter or aftermarket stock.....like I did with my 6.5 creed....and now you have a decent 1000 yard gun. The barrels are pretty good.

That's kind of what I meant. I hear too many deer hunters saying "you've got to use a 300wm or you might as well be pissing in the wind", or "270 is the only reliable deer killer", this caliber this, this caliber that. I'm saying it does not matter. Hit them where you should, and it doesn't matter if you used a 223 or a 458WM.
Fully agree....honestly deer hunting....... anything around .243 - 3006 is fine.....no idea why people get into magnums in the northeast unless they want it for dual purpose to shoot a moose or bear. But a 30-06 would do that just fine too.

I prefer smaller caliber less recoil like a .243, 6.5, 7mm-08 for deer.

Fully agree....honestly deer hunting....... anything around .243 - 3006 is fine.....no idea why people get into magnums in the northeast unless they want it for dual purpose to shoot a moose or bear. But a 30-06 would do that just fine too.

I prefer smaller caliber less recoil like a .243, 6.5, 7mm-08 for deer.
I've tried to convince him to consider 6.5, but it's "new fangled" and he's resistant. I'm thinking since I'm also interested in getting a bolt gun, maybe I'll get myself one and let him try it out, see if he would be okay with it. I've been thinking about it for a while anyway. I think the Ruger might be out of the range that he's willing to spend, and he absolutely won't take a "gift" from anybody to help out buying it. But some great suggestions here for him. I did suggest that he use one of his shotguns and come down to Mass and hunt, he looked at me like I might really be as stupid as a pet turkey.

My take - get the nicest gun he can afford, which'll probably be Savage, Tikka, or Ruger. Out of those three, I'd get a Savage 110, but the 110s are more expensive than the Axis series. I personally hate package deal optics but this'll probably be what he wants.
I've got a Savage 110 in .270 that came with a Simmons scope attached. It's taken a few bumps but has held zero. And using Remington 115gr Managed Recoil ammo can make it a lot less intense.

Does it have to be new? Start cruising the used gun racks at every gun shop you pass by. Any Old Rem 700, Win 70, Mauser sporter, etc.
Caliber does not matter.
Something .300 Savage used to be pretty popular. I bet there's some old 336 lever gun that would fit the bill also.

Caliber does matter. I would not be handing my 70 year old father a 300 win mag.
I've tried to convince him to consider 6.5, but it's "new fangled" and he's resistant

Yup. Maybe 243 minimum, but also 260, 270, 280, 7mm-08, 308, top out with 30-06 from the used rack.

Just saw you got a Savage in .308. Solid choice. Can even be loaded lighter for less recoil.

Happy Hunting! Oh, and Happy New Year!

I have a Ruger M77 bolt action Left Hand 270 that I bought from a member here. He shortened the stock to fit him and it fits my daughter perfect. It’s lightweight, beautiful wood, and nice action.
Surf the used gun racks. It used to be that some people strapped for cash would sell or trade older Rifle for Christmas cash after deer season

Back
Top Bottom