Bolt gun for deer in VT and NH

hillman

NES Member
My 74 year old uncle just gave his favorite lever action .35 Rem. to his great grandson, thinking he was done hunting. But just yesterday he said the hunting bug has bit him again and he'd like a new bolt gun, but at his age and retired he's on a budget. He lives and hunts in VT, and sometimes in NH, for deer. What is a good budget rifle and optic that he could get in to. He's probably not going to go out more than a couple of times a year, and probably not for more than 4 or 5 years more if that. I have a supply of .308 ammo I was thinking of giving him if he gets something chambered in .308, but he said he's open to anything. Thanks.

Does it have to be new? Start cruising the used gun racks at every gun shop you pass by. Any Old Rem 700, Win 70, Mauser sporter, etc.
Caliber does not matter.
New is easier for him because he doesn't like to "go to town" often. If he can call a place up and order it or I can order it for him, it's easier on him. He doesn't drive a car. He drives a tractor.

Does it have to be new? Start cruising the used gun racks at every gun shop you pass by. Any Old Rem 700, Win 70, Mauser sporter, etc.
Caliber does not matter.
I don’t understand everyone’s drive for new guns. Very few new guns tickle me, but older guns seem to just lick their lips and wink at me.

I don’t understand everyone’s drive for new guns. Very few new guns tickle me, but older guns seem to just lick their lips and wink at me.
He's not opposed to used, he's just not going to drive around to the, what, 3 gun shops in VT to look at used guns? So I'm trying to help him figure out what's out there, and see what he can get in to, if we happen to find a used one somewhere while looking, we'll off course jump on it. He actually asked me "Does Sears still sell guns at the catalog store?"

My 74 year old uncle just gave his favorite lever action .35 Rem. to his great grandson, thinking he was done hunting. But just yesterday he said the hunting bug has bit him again and he'd like a new bolt gun, but at his age and retired he's on a budget. He lives and hunts in VT, and sometimes in NH, for deer. What is a good budget rifle and optic that he could get in to. He's probably not going to go out more than a couple of times a year, and probably not for more than 4 or 5 years more if that. I have a supply of .308 ammo I was thinking of giving him if he gets something chambered in .308, but he said he's open to anything. Thanks.

My take - get the nicest gun he can afford, which'll probably be Savage, Tikka, or Ruger. Out of those three, I'd get a Savage 110, but the 110s are more expensive than the Axis series. I personally hate package deal optics but this'll probably be what he wants.

Good for him, and you, Get as many hunts in with him as you can.

I would get him another .35 REM lever action. It was his favorite deer gun and he hunted with it for years.

Bob

Acquiring a new gun is going to mean he'll have to "go to town" and go through all the paperwork with an FFL, etc. My suggestion would be for the family to chip in and buy something he can enjoy, but keep it in your name or that of another family member, so when he decides to give it up for good, he doesn't have to deal with it. Nothing illegal about loaning a rifle to a family member to go hunting. And another Marlin in .35 Rem. or .30-30 Win. would be a good choice, unless he specifically asked for a bolt gun. Good luck.

Acquiring a new gun is going to mean he'll have to "go to town" and go through all the paperwork with an FFL, etc. My suggestion would be for the family to chip in and buy something he can enjoy, but keep it in your name or that of another family member, so when he decides to give it up for good, he doesn't have to deal with it. Nothing illegal about loaning a rifle to a family member to go hunting. And another Marlin in .35 Rem. or .30-30 Win. would be a good choice, unless he specifically asked for a bolt gun. Good luck.
He did ask for a bolt gun, I offered him my 30 30 but he said he wants bolt. He also has a friend nearby who has a garage based ffl who can try to get him something if he knows what he wants. He's comfortable doing that. Also I think I can get him to ride with me to KTP, he used to like going there.

Another thing, if the guy's a NH resident, a private sale is pretty straightforward. I'm not familiar with VT's private sale laws but I can't imagine them being very onerous.

Another thing, if the guy's a NH resident, a private sale is pretty straightforward. I'm not familiar with VT's private sale laws but I can't imagine them being very onerous.
Immediate family members are allowed to gift firearms to each other in Vermont, father to son, son to grandfather, all good.

He's in VT, private sales are easy. Hell, most of the old timers don't give a damn or even know what the laws are.

Axis II are cheap nothing fancy, acceptable trigger. More money gets a lighter trigger.

Older guns are gonna be heavier but likely nicer trigger. Tikka lites may be the sweet spot.

My guess is that whatever he ends up with, he'll wish that he had a lever gun. Talk to him about that. Jack.
Immediate family members are allowed to gift firearms to each other in Vermont, father to son, son to grandfather, all good.
Call me old-fashioned, but the most sensible solution to me is, the grandson should/could simply let grandpa "borrow" the 35 Rem from time to time.
No expense.

Axis II are cheap nothing fancy, acceptable trigger. More money gets a lighter trigger.

Older guns are gonna be heavier but likely nicer trigger. Tikka lites may be the sweet spot.
That's what I have. 30-06. It's nice and light, relatively speaking. Got it new from Bass Pro with scope for $300 last year. My nephew took it up to Coos County a couple of months ago for deer. Didn't get any but said it zeroed in very nicely. He liked it and he used to be a firearm instructor, was in the military, and hunts occasionally (usually with a shotgun though, I think).

I've got a mossberg atr 100 in 30-06 with the stock package scope for deer hunting upstate vermont. Bought it on a whim when my FIL first invited me to the deer camp. I'd always been a bow hunter and never hunted outside Mass so I didn't know if I'd be making the trip more than the one time. I go back every year now and it's served me well. Smooth action, tight enough, zeroes well, and its nice and light on my back and my wallet.

I'm looking into a lever 45-70 now that I'm up there more often and really don't need the range of the bolt gun with the terrain

It is one of those "If you're only going to have one rifle" rifles. I have one and while I haven't hunted with it, it'd be fine. Definitely NOT on the lower end of the price spectrum, though.
That looks like a sweet gun, never seen one in a store or I would likely own one! What mags does it take?

Back
Top Bottom