• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt Action Pistol SBR + Can?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
1588071104110.jpeg
Not personally, no....but it’s a thing that people do.

I would guess that with an unbraced pistol, though, you might end up with a LOT of weight hanging out there. Shorter barrel + lightweight can would likely be the key to success.

Not personally, no....but it’s a thing that people do.

I would guess that with an unbraced pistol, though, you might end up with a LOT of weight hanging out there. Shorter barrel + lightweight can would likely be the key to success.

Most of the guns I've seen setup like this use bipods, which makes sense because a bolt action pistol in say .308 is going to have a fair amount of recoil and a lot of the more old school ones were bench rest guns. But yeah, without a stock or a brace, these guns likely wouldn't be fun to take into the woods.

Have you seen the new Nosler 48 pistol? I don't know why, but I want one.

Most of the guns I've seen setup like this use bipods, which makes sense because a bolt action pistol in say .308 is going to have a fair amount of recoil and a lot of the more old school ones were bench rest guns. But yeah, without a stock or a brace, these guns likely wouldn't be fun to take into the woods.

If you are running a suppressor the recoil energy is reduced to less than 556.

I want this in 6mm Creedmoor.

Yeah, I was referring to unsuppressed guns, like how most Remington XP100s or Contenders are.

Oh Wow, I had to google what an XP100 is, I guess that’s Remington’s answer to the TC contender. They are cool and I’ve knows guys who have taken deer with them but with today’s braces they don’t make as much sense to me. You could build a super light bolt action pistol modeled after the Q Mini Fix or the Pork Sword, I forget who makes the Pork Sword. I have the Mini Fix and I use it more than any other rifle. I SBR’ed mine but it was fine with the brace.

What would one use the AR pistols for- hunting? They'd likely be way cheaper than the Nosler. That Nosler pistol looks very cool- I like and want but already have that covered and couldn't justify the cost. Picked this up off the forum a couple years ago-

LLFgLElh.jpg

The old Remington XP100 in a McMillan fiberglass stock. Shilen barrel chambered in 7BR. If I behave myself it will shoot 3/8" to 1/2" groups at 100. Doesn't look quite as cool as the Nosler but does the same thing. If I didn't live in Mass, a can would be awesome. Never like the color of this stock- maybe needs a foliage & spray can camo job?

What would one use the AR pistols for- hunting?

AR and AK SBRs or pistols with braces + cans can be used for hunting, yes, or home defense, plinking, or tactical purposes like when you want a very compact gun, say inside buildings. One of my NH friends has a 9x19 blowback AR pistol that he wants to convert into a suppressed home defense gun.

Now, the bolt action pistol idea like the XP100 or the newer 700-CP or the Nosler is about long range hunting, with the newer ones being designed around cans.

AR and AK SBRs or pistols with braces + cans can be used for hunting, yes, or home defense, plinking, or tactical purposes like when you want a very compact gun, say inside buildings. One of my NH friends has a 9x19 blowback AR pistol that he wants to convert into a suppressed home defense gun.

Now, the bolt action pistol idea like the XP100 or the newer 700-CP or the Nosler is about long range hunting, with the newer ones being designed around cans.

Compact tactical / sniper is a good point- very handy and could be super accurate within 200 yards. Plinking would be fun too. I gave home defense about a split second of thought before dismissing it as impractical, given so many better options from so many semi pistols. In MA, a fixed mag AR pistol with a couple speed loaders would be much more effective for home defense.

Compact tactical / sniper is a good point- very handy and could be super accurate within 200 yards. Plinking would be fun too. I gave home defense about a split second of thought before dismissing it as impractical, given so many better options from so many semi pistols. In MA, a fixed mag AR pistol with a couple speed loaders would be much more effective for home defense.

In a SBR or braced form + suppressor, AR and AK pistols offer more accuracy than the typical handgun (not talking match guns, this is home defense) over longer ranges. Most people are better rifle shots than pistol shots because the stock provides a more secure point of contact. Basically a modernized version of grandpa's old .30-30 or .44-40 he kept next to his bed or under it or the like. Except shorter, in a pistol caliber, and quieter with a suppressor, unless grandpa was running a Maxim can.

One gun I want to buy when I move out of RI is a Zastava ZPAP M92:

But, back to the topic of suppressed bolt action pistols...

I keep thinking about building a pork sword in 300blk. Unfortunately, no suppressor because of MA.

20190312104511-01-01.jpg

Oh Wow, I had to google what an XP100 is, I guess that’s Remington’s answer to the TC contender. They are cool and I’ve knows guys who have taken deer with them but with today’s braces they don’t make as much sense to me. You could build a super light bolt action pistol modeled after the Q Mini Fix or the Pork Sword, I forget who makes the Pork Sword. I have the Mini Fix and I use it more than any other rifle. I SBR’ed mine but it was fine with the brace.

The XP100 came before the Contender. Pretty 1963 vs 1967 or so.

I've shot a suppressed TC Contender in 300 Whisper a good bit. The Contender would be the easiest to SBR. Simply screw on a but-stock in place of the pistol grip and your done in 3 minutes. Leave whatever pistol barrel you have on there and its an SBR, of course follow all laws and such with proper approval.

There was a court case a while back about TC contender packages and constructive possession or some such thing. Basically, TC was selling these "packages" that came with a pistol and carbine set-up. Well, it was argued that one could put the pistol barrel on the receiver wearing a butt-stock and having an unregistered SBR.

People have done it for years....buy a TC frame, and bounce around between using it as a rifle, pistol, muzzleloader, whatever. Good grief, go on a TC forum and ask "can I put XXX barel on XXX reciever," talk about mental gymnastics..

If you are running a suppressor the recoil energy is reduced to less than 556.

Absolutely not true.

A suppressor reduces recoil compared to a plain muzzle.

But not whole lot.

And compared to a good brake like an SJC Lund Titan, its nowhere near as effective.
I have owned 3 - 308s with a threaded barrel over the years. The Scar came with a primary weapons brake, which is ok. It recoiled harder with a Thunderbeast Arms Ultra 9 than with the brake.

The .308 AR had a Titan brake, which is about the best there is. There is no comparison. But it still recoils more than a 5.56

The Savage bolt gun, which I used the most with the TBA Ultra weighed 13 lbs so recoil wasn't an issue. It recoiled less with a brake than the suppressor, But the difference was not very noticeable.
This is partly because the Savage had a 24" barrel. So the brake didn't have the high pressure gas (google uncorking pressure vs barrel length) to work with than it did on shorter guns. Barrel length and brake effectiveness are closely related. I had a 10.5" AR that if used with a really good brake, the muzzle would DIP with each shot.

What ended up working best was a basic Miculek brake that doesn't normally direct much gas up. Just out to the sides.

Last edited:
Obrez FTW.

1588263880757.png

I'm sure an enterprising NESer can figure out how to screw a can on there... Being willing to shoot it, though, is another story.

Obrez FTW.

View attachment 353072

I'm sure an enterprising NESer can figure out how to screw a can on there... Being willing to shoot it, though, is another story.

Adding a can to an obrez wouldn't be that hard I think, considering there's no set length to an obrez. One could chop the barrel and stock before the rear sight block to thread and chop the buttstock in half, sort of like a mare's leg. If you load the ammo down to subsonic levels with cast bullets, I would imagine recoil would go down, even in obrez form.

Am I volunteering to do this? F*ck no. My home isn't becoming an adoption center for old, screwed up guns. One per year limit! [laugh]

Absolutely not true.

A suppressor reduces recoil compared to a plain muzzle.

But not whole lot.

And compared to a good brake like an SJC Lund Titan, its nowhere near as effective.
I have owned 3 - 308s with a threaded barrel over the years. The Scar came with a primary weapons brake, which is ok. It recoiled harder with a Thunderbeast Arms Ultra 9 than with the brake.

The .308 AR had a Titan brake, which is about the best there is. There is no comparison. But it still recoils more than a 5.56

The Savage bolt gun, which I used the most with the TBA Ultra weighed 13 lbs so recoil wasn't an issue. It recoiled less with a brake than the suppressor, But the difference was not very noticeable.
This is partly because the Savage had a 24" barrel. So the brake didn't have the high pressure gas (google uncorking pressure vs barrel length) to work with than it did on shorter guns. Barrel length and brake effectiveness are closely related. I had a 10.5" AR that if used with a really good brake, the muzzle would DIP with each shot.

What ended up working best was a basic Miculek brake that doesn't normally direct much gas up. Just out to the sides.

I hunt and shoot a lot, I almost never use a long gun without a suppressor. I will say this, when I was checking POI shift on a reasonably light Cooper Firearms 28 Nosler I shot probably 10 rounds unsuppressed and then suppressed back and forth as I checked POI shift. A 28 Nosler round produces more recoil than most 7mm rounds. I can't sit here and say scientifically its X amount of reduced recoil. I will say this, with a large volume suppressor weighing in around a pound the recoil reduction is close to half with the suppressor. I never said it was better than a good brake, in fact the Cooper brake that came on the rifle reduces it more. Shooting that rifle with no brake or can is a hard hit. The Thunderbeast is a very long and heavy can, I'm surprised it didn't reduce more but then again Scars are so overgassed I believe you.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that cans don't help. Your original post suggested that cans reduced recoil more than a brake although you didn't say it explicitly.

I haven't experienced the same recoil reduction you mentioned. They do help.

I think part of it is that though a can reduces recoil, it doesn't push your muzzle down like a brake. I always index my brakes to push down and right. (I'm a lefty) and adjust the ports on top so that the muzzle stays put. I can't do that with a can.

I've played with different cans and brakes on a friends machine gun, where the difference is really obvious. You need to muscle a gun with a can to stay on target. An upper with a good brake (especially a SBR with its high uncorking pressure) stays put.

Thanks for your insight.

Hello all......where can i find a remington 700 cp in mass?...........

LOL! "Maura starts with a big capital M in a bright pink square."

Welcome to NES. I can't help you, but I assume somebody can.

Back
Top Bottom