• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black Friday @ Dicks Sporting Goods - Afterthoughts....

Brockton store is right down the road so I ventured out for ammo and a coffee. OMFG I went by a Walmart it was insane there @ 5AM. Any way picked up som 38 special (for the wife) and some 9MM. 6 box limit.....

Went to Dick's in Natick this morning looking for 9mm ammo. The special buy 1 get 50% off basically raised the price on the Remmington 9mm to full price - $14.99 for 50 rounds and then 1/2 price on the second box. So, 100 rounds would be $22.49 which is $11.25 per box. 6 box limit.

Dick's Black Friday

Just got back from Dick's in Dartmouth... Picked up six boxes of .308 with my coupon. Appeared to be more employees there than customers this morning.

Brockton store is right down the road so I ventured out for ammo and a coffee. OMFG I went by a Walmart it was insane there @ 5AM. Any way picked up som 38 special (for the wife) and some 9MM. 6 box limit.....

i went by the same walmart at about 5:15 and then again at about 6:45 believe it or not it was worse at 6:45. it was so bad they were parking on the grass!!

i went to bps for the trail camera sale. picked up 2 and some clothes for the wife.

We just got back from the Dick's in Brockton to check out the 24 gun stack on safe for sale. Unfortunately we left empty handed, it was much smaller than our current 16 gun safe [thinking]

I wish I could say that I drove to Dicks for the sale but I have to admit.... my
Wife went out shopping and I decided to stay home and sit here in my PJs and surf the internet all day and drink boat loads of coffee.

Sorry, just could not stand the thought of being bung holes to elbows with mobs of people. Ammo is nice but not worth the aggravation to me.

Glad some of you guys made out well. Good job. [wink]

Rob

Just got back from Dick's in Worcester. It wasn't too busy but it was worth the drive .22LR bricks and 9mm for decent prices, some targets to shoot at, gloves to wear when it gets cold. Not only did I get the ammo deal but somehow I ended up with a $20 gift card to be used in Dec.

Just got back from Dick's in Worcester. It wasn't too busy but it was worth the drive .22LR bricks and 9mm for decent prices, some targets to shoot at, gloves to wear when it gets cold. Not only did I get the ammo deal but somehow I ended up with a $20 gift card to be used in Dec.

What kind of prices are we talking about here? Don't want to divert a trip for a couple cents, but would for a couple bucks.

I wouldn't say they were crazy deals. I just got back from the North Attleboro store myself. They are a little pricey to begin with, but had : .380, 9mm, .38 special, .40 , .44 Mag, .45 Auto, and a very large selection of rifle ammo. The deal was buy 1 get one 50% off, and if you spent more than $100 you got a $20 Dicks gift card for free, limit was 6 boxes per customer. Here are some examples that I was looking at:

.40 S&W Remington UMC 180gr FMJ

100 rd pkg: $59.99
250 rd bulk pkg: $99.99

Went to Dicks in Leominster and had pretty good luck.

Got 12 boxes of 9mm ammo - buy 1 get one 1/2 off, and I picked up one of the 18 gun Stack-On safes for $180. The only issue is the safe - after dragging the safe down to the basement and opening it up there was a huge dent on the front side of it. It will be returned on Sunday, luckily I have to go that way anyways.

Plus they had Nike sweatshirts for $20, hooded.

100 rd package of .40 S&W FMJ's for $50 is a good price????

They cost $19.99 for a box of 50. It's cheaper to buy 2 of thoss boxes and you save $20. Am I missing something?

I wouldn't say they were crazy deals. I just got back from the North Attleboro store myself. They are a little pricey to begin with, but had : .380, 9mm, .38 special, .40 , .44 Mag, .45 Auto, and a very large selection of rifle ammo. The deal was buy 1 get one 50% off, and if you spent more than $100 you got a $20 Dicks gift card for free, limit was 6 boxes per customer. Here are some examples that I was looking at:

.40 S&W Remington UMC 180gr FMJ

100 rd pkg: $59.99
250 rd bulk pkg: $99.99

Thank You, I spent well over a $100 and did not get one I just called and they are going to make good on it.
Thanks
Dan

They opened the store here (NC) up early at 4:30 instead of 5. I got there at 4:30 and left at 5:15, and there were maybe 3 dozen people in there total the whole time (not including employees). I went back to the Lodge section, and there wasn't even an employee there. I was longing to get like 1000 rounds of .40 ammo, but that just wasn't in the financial cards.

Yeah, I was pretty happy...With DSG, you have to plan thing out to get some savings. I have not seen 100rd packs of .40 S&W for $50.00, (that seems insane), unles they are the JHP self defense packs. In my case, $30,00 in ScorePoints, (the planning) + the $20.00 gift card had me making out pretty well. With the combo of that and the buy 1-get- 1 50%, I nabbed some Blazer .45ACP, Brenneke KO's, Winchester Q3131 and Winchester .308 150gr. Wish I could have spent more really - there was lots to buy, but not much of a deal unless you had ScorePoints going for you...Factoring in the SP + the return of a $20.00 gift card, I walked out with a nice pile of ammo for $100.00...I'll take it. Driving home with ammo on the seat after 12+ hours on about an hours sleep feels pretty damned good...Jesus I'm beat...We were slammed from 4:30am until I left at 4:45pm.

Wow I didn't know Dick's was having a sale, though I suppose I should have figured. I hate shopping on black friday, way too many people. I just took a drive up to VT instead to breathe some free-state air ;)

There was a lot of nostalgia today. As tired as I am - eyes burning from fluorescent light, ears still ringing from droning Christmas music and clamoring shoppers, I have this sense of calm about the day...

Beyond the typical "Black Friday Asshats", who somehow forget the true spirit of the season when they moan endlessly - as if it's my fault, about being out of Motorola 22-Mile Radios, there were the faces of people shopping together - being together. I waited on fathers and sons - one buying his first firearm - the look in his eye, that sense of excitement, of bonding with his dad, was like calming medicine amidst the chaos.

A young couple waited patiently in the madness at the gun counter - their young daughter sandwiched in between them was leafing through a Christmas coloring book - glancing up occasionally and meeting me with a smile when I waved to her, as I loaded ammunition into a customers cart. When I finally got to them, the young couple greeted me - negating my apology for the wait with a simultaneous "no problem" and a thank you for getting to them. He was looking for a shotgun - a "cheap 20-gauge deer gun" - I had to deliver the news that there were none on the floor, but I'd check to see what I had in the back. I never really think about much when I open up the gun locker, but this time, I was just praying we had a 20ga Slugster in the pile - something to help this guy out. After a dig through the gun pile, all I could find was a Remington 870 Cantilever Scoped Deer Package and it was hardly a cheap gun. At $499.99, it seemed like a tough pill to swallow for a guy looking to "buy cheap", but I took it out anyway. As I turned the corner, the crowd behind the gun counter had swelled - a shopper cut me off and began rattling off questions about where bowling shoes were and continued to ramble - despite my repeated: "Team Sports is down that way" and "I have a customer mam". Slowly her droning faded as I approached the counter - apologetic again for the wait - negated again by their patience. As I laid the box across the counter, I said: "I'm not sure this qualifies as cheap, bit it's all I have left". I opened the box and pulled the olive green deer gun from it's packaging. His eyes lit up as I handed it to him. It was as if he was sliding into the bucket seat of a new sports car. As I was explaining the features to him, his daughter looked on, while his wife discreetly peered at the price tag on the box, then thumbed through the cash in her wallet. He looked at me, then her, and said: "Hun, I think I want this gun". "Really?", she replied, "but you're generally so cheap hun, I think it's great, lets get it". He asked me if I could hang onto the gun for him and of course I said: "Absolutely, it will be right here", as I slid the gun back into its box and tucked it behind the counter. The three of them huddled near the gun safes for a minute as I wandered back to help a customer with ammo. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him shaking his head "no" - as if to say, "it's no big deal". She seemed more insistent - as if trying to convince him he deserved it. She broke from the conversation, approached the gun counter and said: "We'll be right back" - and they were. A few minutes later, I spotted them again - they locked on me like a laser beam and pushed through the throngs toward the glass case. He was beaming - she was clutching a credit approval. "We'll take it", was all it took for me to disengage from the counter and scurry the Remington back into the gun room for a scope mount and bore sight. I think I was as excited as they were - the crowd noise and Christmas music disappeared as I watched another associate set them up with paperwork and I disappeared into the tech room. I take pride in setting up guns for customers in general, but this one felt different - special. I mounted the scope, dropped in the laser and made adjustments as if my life depended on it. I then went over every square inch with a silicone cloth until the gun was just spotless. When I returned to the counter, his paperwork was wrapping up. I interrupted the process, to make sure his eye relief was perfect and go over a few things about the gun. His wife stood behind him excited by all the attention he was getting, his daughter grabbed a peppermint candy from a bowl I had set out on the counter earlier in the day. As I put the gun back in the box, I couldn't help but to congratulate him on his purchase. "It's nice to see a nice gun, go to a good home", I said, while jokingly wiping an imaginary tear from my eye. "Another one leaves the nest" I said, feigning a sniffle and cracking a grin to the curious puzzlement of the little girl. I shook his hand as he thanked me, but it was them who deserved the thanks. I departed from The Lodge, took my first break in 7-hours and choked down some lukewarm pizza, warmed by and thankful for the spirit of Christmas that young family brought to me, amidst the chaos of the clamoring bargain hunters....

Awesome story thank you... not the sappy type but I love a good heart warmer.

Through the chaos of the overly consumeristic holiday season, a wife's selfless act and a man feeling like a kid on christmas morning. Friggin' love it!

I am now officially in the Christmas spirit, Thanks for Sharing!

Reps Inbound!

Back
Top Bottom