• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bitten by the 1911 BUG!!!

I picked up my first 1911 S&W last friday and took it to the range yesterday. Let's just say that up until that point I was an avid Glock guy. Holy shnikey's!!! So that's what shooting a pistol is supposed to feel like! [smile]

I'll equate it to having sex w/o a condom for the first time. You know. When your like "Oh, so that's what its supposed to be like!"...yes, very similar indeed. I shot 100rounds of wolf ammo w/o failure, but had one feeding issue with the last round of hollowpoints. I believe this is because either the mag still needs to be broken in, or it may be the design of the hollowpoints. They are older Federal Hollowpoints 230grain. I picked up some HST because I've heard they feed really great in 1911's. Haven't tried them yet.

Well, you have given me that "final incentive - I will contact my friend who wants to sell me his nearly-new Springfield 1911 that I am ready! [wink][smile]

Do it! I thought the recoil was going to be bad, but was pleasantly suprised at how manageable it was! I shot really well with it, and put some 1/2" groups from 30ft. (Good for me, I'm still a noob!). I shot it before my glock, and when I switched to the Glock I was taken back by how different it is. You don't notice it when all you shoot it plastic guns but when you shoot one you'll know the difference. I can't really describe it, the Glock felt springy and spongy afterwards. I'll still carry it everyday, since it's never failed me after 1000's of rounds, but I'll be more inclined to want to have the 1911 w/ me now.

I had a similar experience. I had a glock 22 and 26 that I enjoyed shooting then I got my C+R and bought a 1911A1 with it. It definitely is a totally different animal.

I own two 1911s, a first run S&W and a Norinco, and they are my favorite pistols out of what I have. I love shooting them and always take my first run S&W to shoot at USPSA. If I had the money I'd have more.

My SW1911 feeds winchester SXT flawlessly which is a great round for personal defense. Actually it feeds everything flawlessly. Even my SWC reloads. The 1911 will have less felt recoil than glocks due to the heavier all steel makeup of the gun and the high position of your grip. Atleast in my experience and everyone I know anyway.

Welcome to the 1911 club, they're beautiful guns and they shoot, well, like you said. Like the first time you make love to a woman without a condom on.

My SW1911 feeds winchester SXT flawlessly which is a great round for personal defense. Actually it feeds everything flawlessly. Even my SWC reloads. The 1911 will have less felt recoil than glocks due to the heavier all steel makeup of the gun and the high position of your grip. Atleast in my experience and everyone I know anyway.

Welcome to the 1911 club, they're beautiful guns and they shoot, well, like you said. Like the first time you make love to a woman without a condom on.

Who said anything about making love...[wink] JK

It hasn't been broken in yet, so I'll be forgiving regarding any feeding issues. I wonder, is this a normal issue w/ 1911's and hollowpoints. If so, any recommendations for ammunition that will feed better. It was pretty consistently not feeding the last round in the mag, but only did this with hollowpoints. Hardball worked flawlessly, seeing how it was WOLF i was impressed because that ammo is crap, and really really dirty!!!

Who said anything about making love...[wink] JK

Haha, good one. If its not feeding on the last round of the magazine, the magazine springs might be weak. I replaced my SW mag springs with the wolff springs. Actually every spring in the gun is now a wolff spring. The SW magazines work great by the way and I've never had a problem with either those or the 7rnd colt government mags. Did yours come with the wilsons or the smiths?. And you might wanna give the SXT a try, theyre hollowpoints with a rounded shape to get them to feed well. and like I said, I've never had one failure to feed.

Hang in there for the break in period, the recoil spring might be a little stiff yet. I put the wolff 18lb spring in and its great. To see if your spring is too strong and the gun is cycling too fast for the last round, check to see how far the brass is being eject. 8 or 9 feet is usually right around where it should be, anything less is too strong of a spring and if its tossing the brass 15 feet then you'll probably want to put a strong spring in so you dont do damage to the frame.

Too funny! odd but I have a gold cup that I absolutely love, and treasure it so much that I don't shoot it. Odd how that is, isn't it? It sits in the safe while the lesser (in my mind) go to the range. I like and respect it so much that I am going to pick up a 1911 38 super that I plan on actually shooting!! What a concept!

Haha, good one. If its not feeding on the last round of the magazine, the magazine springs might be weak. I replaced my SW mag springs with the wolff springs. Actually every spring in the gun is now a wolff spring. The SW magazines work great by the way and I've never had a problem with either those or the 7rnd colt government mags. Did yours come with the wilsons or the smiths?. And you might wanna give the SXT a try, theyre hollowpoints with a rounded shape to get them to feed well. and like I said, I've never had one failure to feed.

Hang in there for the break in period, the recoil spring might be a little stiff yet. I put the wolff 18lb spring in and its great. To see if your spring is too strong and the gun is cycling too fast for the last round, check to see how far the brass is being eject. 8 or 9 feet is usually right around where it should be, anything less is too strong of a spring and if its tossing the brass 15 feet then you'll probably want to put a strong spring in so you dont do damage to the frame.

I thought that too, but it only did that with the hollowpoints, never the hardball. I'll keep at it, i think it's too early to diagnose it.

I'll see what I can come up with pic-wise, I've never been any good at taking pictures, but will post them as soon as a I can.

I thought that too, but it only did that with the hollowpoints, never the hardball. I'll keep at it, i think it's too early to diagnose it.
QUOTE]

The feed ramp of a 1911 and the way the gun feeds in general was originally designed to feed ball ammunition. The feed ramp is at a steeper angle and the barrels are not throated for odd shaped ammo so the old 1911's and 1911A1s have a reputation for not feeding hollowpoints reliably. Most modern production 1911s like smiths and kimbers and the new colts even have a feedramp that is slightly modified from the original design In order to feed hollow point ammunition reliably. Some still will only feed certain ammo with 100% reliability but for the most part if anything they might need a little polishing to the feed ramp with really fine grit sandpaper.

My SW1911 feeds everything I've ever run through it, I'm guessing yours will too, theyve been getting a good rep for this. Is the slide returning to position without chambering the last round or is the round jamming up halfway into the barrel or on the feed ramp? or is the slide locking back completely on the last round as if it were an empty magazine?

the round jamming up halfway into the barrel or on the feed ramp?/QUOTE]

I'll have to take it to the range more for before I begin thinking that this is a problem. It only happened with one type of hollowpoint, which was an older series in those 20round boxes. I've heard that those 20round boxes aren't exactly grade-A stuff, so I'm going to have to run some other hollowpoints through it before I start running my trap about there being a problem...[laugh]

Also, I still need a few hundred more runs before I can consider this broken in.

I would like a Para Ordinance LDA 16.40 with a rail and a custom .357Sig barrel. But only if there are such a thing as full capacity preban mags for it. Second Choice would be a 1911 in .38Super converted to 9x23. Don't think I can afford to feed another gun in a different caliber, though.

My Sig P220 handles the .45 nicely. Been bitten by the .357Sig bug myself.

I picked up my first 1911 S&W last friday and took it to the range yesterday. Let's just say that up until that point I was an avid Glock guy. Holy shnikey's!!! So that's what shooting a pistol is supposed to feel like! [smile]

I'll equate it to having sex w/o a condom for the first time. You know. When your like "Oh, so that's what its supposed to be like!"...yes, very similar indeed. I shot 100rounds of wolf ammo w/o failure, but had one feeding issue with the last round of hollowpoints. I believe this is because either the mag still needs to be broken in, or it may be the design of the hollowpoints. They are older Federal Hollowpoints 230grain. I picked up some HST because I've heard they feed really great in 1911's. Haven't tried them yet.

Now I'm even more pumped up to shoot my new SW1911. I just bought it and haven't shot it yet. Its my first gun but others on order....

[party]

Do it! I thought the recoil was going to be bad, but was pleasantly suprised at how manageable it was! I shot really well with it, and put some 1/2" groups from 30ft. (Good for me, I'm still a noob!). I shot it before my glock, and when I switched to the Glock I was taken back by how different it is. You don't notice it when all you shoot it plastic guns but when you shoot one you'll know the difference. I can't really describe it, the Glock felt springy and spongy afterwards. I'll still carry it everyday, since it's never failed me after 1000's of rounds, but I'll be more inclined to want to have the 1911 w/ me now.

yepper! that's pretty much what I said a month or so ago when I sold the glock.... LOL,

although I still carry my M&P - I will definatley be buying another 1911....

My SW1911 is flawless! My Holster is back-ordered I've yet to find grips I want to put on it. I like the rose woods, but want something less pretty.

you should try a LDA in 9mm.... now that, is FUN shooting....

the round jamming up halfway into the barrel or on the feed ramp?/QUOTE]

I'll have to take it to the range more for before I begin thinking that this is a problem. It only happened with one type of hollowpoint, which was an older series in those 20round boxes. I've heard that those 20round boxes aren't exactly grade-A stuff, so I'm going to have to run some other hollowpoints through it before I start running my trap about there being a problem...[laugh]

Also, I still need a few hundred more runs before I can consider this broken in.

The 20 round Hydra-Shok boxes are reduced recoil loads, so that might have been a factor.

You have begun the path to enlightenment.

...1/2" groups from 30ft. (Good for me, I'm still a noob!)... when I switched to the Glock I was taken back by how different it is.
1/2" groups is fine shooting. Jim Conway said at my self defense course that one hole groups are fine for bullseye competition, but a BG bleeds faster from multiple holes. As for a Glock being different, I can't agree more. I can put all my shots in a 4" circle all day long from any distance that I can see with my .45's. When I shot my friend's Glock the target looked like I'd shot it with 00 buckshot.[rolleyes]

Be careful... 1911's are like tattoo's
They tend to multiply![smile]
Or like the Lays comercial says, "Betcha can' have just one." I can't. [smile]
M1911 Colt, M1911A1 Ithaca, M1991A1 Colt Commander Model

Enjoy your 1911 and welcome to the obsession.[smile]

Anyone here hear anything about Chip McCormick match grade magazines? I am asking because I took the gun out to the range yesterday, and it was still undergoing feeding issues. Obviously, I'm still going to credit that to being a new gun, but was wondering if mags have to be broken in as well, or am I just using crappy mags? I don't really know much about mags for 1911, I just checked a couple different sources and they seemed alright. If it's still acting up after 700rounds, I'll take it to Greg Derr and see if he can diagnose it. He's an excellent gunsmith. Or should I take it right to S&W? That's if the problem is still there after 750rounds. Right now I've put 300rounds in 2 days [smile]

It's around 8-9ft, checked yesterday

you should try a LDA in 9mm.... now that, is FUN shooting....[/QUOTE]

I agree totally, I shoot and carry a Combat Commander in 9MM and love it.

Anyone here hear anything about Chip McCormick match grade magazines? I am asking because I took the gun out to the range yesterday, and it was still undergoing feeding issues. Obviously, I'm still going to credit that to being a new gun, but was wondering if mags have to be broken in as well, or am I just using crappy mags? I don't really know much about mags for 1911, I just checked a couple different sources and they seemed alright. If it's still acting up after 700rounds, I'll take it to Greg Derr and see if he can diagnose it. He's an excellent gunsmith. Or should I take it right to S&W? That's if the problem is still there after 750rounds. Right now I've put 300rounds in 2 days [smile]

I have used CMC mags, had excellent luck with them.
what is the feeding issue? Is it nose diving on the feed ramp or not going completely into battery?

If it still acts up, I would take it to Greg, spend the money, get it right the first time

I have used CMC mags, had excellent luck with them.
what is the feeding issue? Is it nose diving on the feed ramp or not going completely into battery?

If it still acts up, I would take it to Greg, spend the money, get it right the first time

Not going into battery. The slide will appear to be locked back, but there is 1-3 rounds still in the magazine. These are brand spanking new mags.

Congrats Fsorrent, yes indeed welcome to the delights of John Moses Browning's masterpiece. It was the first handgun I bought when I turned 21 and that is the one, if I had to get rid of all others, I would keep. I've bought and sold a handful of makes and models since then, and now I've narrowed it down to: the Colt original series '70 (my first love), and the Para P12 Limited. I'm not much into modifying what is arguably the best auto-pistol design ever, but I have gotten a little silly with collecting grips over the years, which there is a staggering assortment of. Check out these genuine Diamondback Rattlesnake grips I bought a while back...[smile]

pics011.jpg

I couple of things I would check,
1. make sure you are not dragging your thumb on the slide
2. make sure you are not engaging the slide stop with your weak hand thumb.
3. make sure that the round or the follower are not engaging the slide stop.
4. if you are left handed make sure you are not pushing on the slide stop pin and moving it out.
5. make sure the gun is well lubed everywhere.

I couple of things I would check,
1. make sure you are not dragging your thumb on the slide
2. make sure you are not engaging the slide stop with your weak hand thumb.
3. make sure that the round or the follower are not engaging the slide stop.
4. if you are left handed make sure you are not pushing on the slide stop pin and moving it out.
5. make sure the gun is well lubed everywhere.

Excellent advice!

Back
Top Bottom