Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber

Just a heads up about this stuff. I cleaned my GSG5 with it, thinking the finish was baked on or at least impervious to gun solvents (it wasn't touched by Hoppes 9). Well this stuff stripped the reciever right down to the bare aluminum in seconds. I should have read the label. It contains trichlorethylene. OOOPS!

Last edited:
The newer "synthetic" gun scrubber seems to be OK, and does a great job. I don't use it much because it takes all lubrication out, but in a couple of instances of extreme mess that stuff was a real help (residue from frangible ammo caked the inside of a Sig pistol; some old gummed up crud in a used pistol I bought).

It wasn't all bad though. When I ordered my gun, I didn't know it was going to be that titanium gray color. I really wanted a black gun. So after 2 hours of using this "gun scrubber" I have the entire receiver done to the bare aluminum like it just came out of the foundry. So now I am going to have it glass beaded and anodized black.

I have the same GSG-5 (gray finish), and they warned me when I bought it not to use anything on it other than your usual CLP stuff.

There's been a heads up on Gun Scrubber for a long time. Same with break cleaner. I go the old route, Hoppe's 9 and sitting time when I need more than a bore snake, dry rag, q-tips and CLP. But then again, I clean after each range session (twice actually, that day and a quick wipe down the next as sometimes more carbon loosens up) and/or wipe them down with a light coat of oil and soft rag if I've been just pawing them.

Last edited:
Years ago I tried some on the interior of a 50 round 10/22 plastic magazine to remove the waxy Remington bullet lube. It dissolved the bullet lube. It also dissolved the magazine...

Last edited:
Just a heads up about this stuff. I cleaned my GSG5 with it, thinking the finish was baked on or at least impervious to gun solvents (it wasn't touched by Hoppes 9). Well this stuff stripped the reciever right down to the bare aluminum in seconds. I should have read the label. It contains trichlorethylene. OOOPS!

how do you "un do" this?

I love gun scrubber. But I only use it on my old lever actions...the 92 is a pain in the ass to take apart and put back together. So for a quick clean, I spray the action with Gun Scrubber, work the action, let it sit upside down, and then spray it with oil.

I got some on my Trijicon scope and it crazed and disconnected the fiber optic collector. Trijicon fixed it for free.

Simple green and CLP for me, no nasty solvents.

Watch your plastic grip panels with this also. I melted the grips on a Ruger Mk II, when I sprayed GunScrubber down the bore to hose it out.

When I was at the plating company that we use, (I am planning on having my gun's aluminum parts anodized), the guy informed me that Trichlorethylene is illegal in this state. Hmmmm
ps: It causes cancer also.

Here's some additional obvious advice. ALWAYS wear eye protection when using Gun Scrubber. Spraying it into the nooks and crannies of a firearm invites blowback right into your face. (Ask me how I know.)

It also will discolor the wooden grip panels on a 1911 and turns the black stainless slide on a Sig a light grey color. I also am done with the stuff.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom