• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bill filed to Extend LTC & FID Processing Time

When I got my first ltc like 6 years ago. I felt that 3 weeks was damn near forever.

So don't tell me you need 9 months. It's foolishness

My two brother in laws did everything at the same time
Took class
Met with police
Finger printed
And one took 9 months the other got it in 10 months

I said it in another thread but why do I have to meet with the police wait absurd amounts of time for my mass LTC but yet Mail off am app meet NO ONE face to face And my NH non res came in two weeks? Want a solution to the manpower issue? Take a drive a few minutes north and examine their system. See wtf they do and end this crap already

PA license renewal, walked in gave them a check and application, waited while they made a phone call, took a photo and walked out in under 20 minutes with the photo license. Mass can learn a lot from PA!

When I got my first ltc like 6 years ago. I felt that 3 weeks was damn near forever.

So don't tell me you need 9 months. It's foolishness

My two brother in laws did everything at the same time
Took class
Met with police
Finger printed
And one took 9 months the other got it in 10 months

I said it in another thread but why do I have to meet with the police wait absurd amounts of time for my mass LTC but yet Mail off am app meet NO ONE face to face And my NH non res came in two weeks? Want a solution to the manpower issue? Take a drive a few minutes north and examine their system. See wtf they do and end this crap already

PA license renewal, walked in gave them a check and application, waited while they made a phone call, took a photo and walked out in under 20 minutes with the photo license. Mass can learn a lot from PA!

Someone needs to print these out and mail them to Mr. Heroux. If there is any need for law changes, they need to be simplified. Find out the where and WHY to the delays.

A secondbill I sponsored that received bi-partisan support in the House and Senatewould extend the grace period from 90 days to 180 days when an applicant renewstheir firearms identification (FID) and license to carry (LTC). This was deemednecessary because of the longer than usual time it takes to renew a LTC. Thisapproach is a Band-Aid but it is a necessary one at this time so that the legalgun owners' rights are preserved when they are waiting for their license to berenewed."

Absurd. So I can wait SIX MONTHS for a renewal, and be effectively banned from making purchases for half a year? That'd be just swell.

My initial LTC app took 5 months (as it did for others in my community). Then, their renewal took 5 months. I've been waiting 5 months now for my renewal, and am now beyond the grace period, so now I'm at risk for being issued a $500-5000 penalty. That's a risk I'll take, rather than being subjected to an additional 3 months wait, by design.

I've been waiting 5 months now for my renewal, and am now beyond the grace period, so now I'm at risk for being issued a $500-5000 penalty.

While it's not likely to ever come up, it would be interesting to see someone in your position actually be fined, as the only reason you are outside of the grace period is because the Commonwealth is in violation of its statutory obligation to approve or deny a license within 40 days.

If you read the various "license threads", you'll notice many LTCs are being issued at around 40 +/- days. I got mine not too long ago in 39 days. It leads me to conclude any delays beyond say, 60 (and I'm being generous here) days, are solely the fault of the issuing PDs, no matter what they say! These chronic abusers need to be called to the carpet!!

While it's not likely to ever come up, it would be interesting to see someone in your position actually be fined, as the only reason you are outside of the grace period is because the Commonwealth is in violation of its statutory obligation to approve or deny a license within 40 days.

Curious? Yes!

BUT no PD would put themselves in the embarrassing position of standing in front of a judge under cross to explain why the defendant did everything proper and timely and is now in violation strictly due to PD/State incompetence to do their jobs! Besides this being a civil matter, it would be many months and perhaps a year after filing a complaint before the court case might be heard . . . by then the defendant would have their LTC in-hand.

If you read the various "license threads", you'll notice many LTCs are being issued at around 40 +/- days. I got mine not too long ago in 39 days. It leads me to conclude any delays beyond say, 60 (and I'm being generous here) days, are solely the fault of the issuing PDs, no matter what they say! These chronic abusers need to be called to the carpet!!

From our survey, more than half of the cities and towns in MA are able to make 40 days.

Curious? Yes!

BUT no PD would http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?p=3700395&noquote=1put themselves in the embarrassing position of standing in front of a judge under cross to explain why the defendant did everything proper and timely and is now in violation strictly due to PD/State incompetence to do their jobs! Besides this being a civil matter, it would be many months and perhaps a year after filing a complaint before the court case might be heard . . . by then the defendant would have their LTC in-hand.

That's exactly right. When my LTC expired last year I was well past the 90 day mark before the BPD issued my new license. What did I do differently during that period? Nothing. As I had submitted my application prior to the expiration of my previous LTC, the only reason I was carrying a firearm past the 90 grace period was because the BPD was unable to meet their statutory obligations. I would be delighted to have the opportunity to explain that to a court.

BUT no PD would put themselves in the embarrassing position of standing in front of a judge under cross to explain why the defendant did everything proper and timely and is now in violation strictly due to PD/State incompetence to do their jobs! Besides this being a civil matter, it would be many months and perhaps a year after filing a complaint before the court case might be heard . . . by then the defendant would have their LTC in-hand.

At the 60+ day mark, I'd requested a statement from the issuing authority, declaring that I'd filed my application for renewal on a specific date (60 days prior to expiration). That request was futile.

From our survey, more than half of the cities and towns in MA are able to make 40 days.

So, that means 50% are noncompliant!

At the 60+ day mark, I'd requested a statement like from the issuing authority, declaring that I'd filed my application for renewal on a specific date (60 days prior to expiration). That request was futile.

Instead of a request, you should have sent them a notice that you did that, and send a copy to the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee, your rep and senator, the FRB, the Colonel of the state police, GOAL, NRA, Comm2A, and your local paper!

Heck, add Hank Phillipi Ryan, too!

The only thing this bill will do, is make the PDs that are doing the right thing, and trying to be compliant, more relaxed about the process. It will be worse for all of us, and lets the offending PDs off the hook! This is total BS!! [angry]

This bill should be opposed, or rewritten to perhaps a 60 day enforceable time limit!

The only thing this bill will do, is make the PDs that are doing the right thing, and trying to be compliant, more relaxed about the process. It will be worse for all of us, and lets the offending PDs off the hook! This is total BS!! [angry]

This bill should be opposed, or rewritten to perhaps a 60 day enforceable time limit!

How about a 30 MINUTE enforceable time limit?

Banks can find your entire financial history in less time when you apply for credit.. I fail to believe that the "justice system" is unable to find out your "criminal history" and that you are a prohibited person in the same time frame. And your right to credit is not guaranteed by the Constitution.

I fail to believe that the "justice system" is unable to find out your "criminal history" and that you are a prohibited person in the same time frame.

Of course they can, how long does a typical NICS check take?

The fact that more than half of the cities / towns in MA are easily able to comply with the statue is telling. More time is not the answer.

Hello, After 6 months I was told today that my FID card "went to print last Friday" Does anyone here know if this mean it's a done deal now and my wait is almost over?

Thanks very much.
Harry

Of course they can, how long does a typical NICS check take?

The fact that more than half of the cities / towns in MA are easily able to comply with the statue is telling. More time is not the answer.

Agreed. Perhaps this. Allow Mass citizens to apply/renew to ANY Mass PD for FID, LTC-A/B. That dept gets the fee. Done.

So supposing that a rejection is issued to an individual 131 days after the application, there is no way for the person to appeal? They could take the dated rejection letter to court and the court would say "Sorry, you are past the 90 days after the 40 day presumed rejection time" even though many LTC applications take longer than 40 days?

How about a 30 MINUTE enforceable time limit?

Banks can find your entire financial history in less time when you apply for credit.. I fail to believe that the "justice system" is unable to find out your "criminal history" and that you are a prohibited person in the same time frame. And your right to credit is not guaranteed by the Constitution.

took less than that for a PA non-res license.

Back
Top Bottom