• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bill filed to Extend LTC & FID Processing Time

Sorry to hear Mudfish.

As the example in my email to Rep. Heroux, my friend Mark lives in Worcester. He went to turn in his application the 1st week of February and was informed he couldn't and that he had to "schedule" a fingerprint/interview appointment.

That appointment was scheduled for....THE 1ST WEEK OF JUNE!!!!!

He played along and went with it. He went to the appointment, got fingerprinted/interviewed and turned in his application at that time with his payment.

Here it is, December 19th and he IS STILL WAITING!!!!!

Even if we take away the 4 months he waited for the "appointment", he has still been waiting for 6 months (his total time is +10 months!!).

It's a friggen' crime and there is no excuse for this amount of time to go by.

If it makes your friend feel any better I also live in Worcester, called 11/18/13 for an appointment to apply and asked for the earliest possible date.

May 15th

I have to wait half a year just to apply. I'm all for amendment to the law to fix the turn around times on licenses, but bad PDs will still find ways to screw over or discourage applicants, like arbitrarily long wait times just to apply or renew.

Since $75 of that $100 goes to the state, and the other $25 goes to the town's General Fund (none goes to the PD) the local PD has no financial incentive wrt money involved in the licensing process. It literally cost them money to do this . . . and this was done by the Governor (at the time) and Legislature with no input from citizens or police.

Just putting that out there so people know where the money really goes.

Very informative. Thanks for posting.

Even so. As Len said, that the $25 goes to the town/city general fund and does not stay at the PD, so what. The PD gets its money from the general fund in order to operate. They're being paid to do their job and gun licensing falls under that category. If they can't or won't do it (FA licensing) in a satisfactory manner then the local town selectmen/manager or city mayor/council should make them do it.

Maybe if a portion of it stayed with the PD, they would be more motivated to get these applications processed.

Let the PD keep 75% and they can't cash the check until ltc is delivered or rejected.

Actually leave the law as shotty as it is. Maybe it will eventually Piss off enough people to kill the licensing scam. /dreaming

WHAT?

They can't follow the law, so change the law?

OK, how about we raise the speed limits? Lower the drinking age? Do away with gun licensing?

This is preposterous!

After all the "studies", and hemming and hawing, THIS is what they came up with? (BEANS? Jack, I sent you to town with a cow, and you come home with BEANS?) Where is Naughton NOW, with his agreeing that we are being abused?

Even so. As Len said, that the $25 goes to the town/city general fund and does not stay at the PD, so what. The PD gets its money from the general fund in order to operate. They're being paid to do their job and gun licensing falls under that category. If they can't or won't do it (FA licensing) in a satisfactory manner then the local town selectmen/manager or city mayor/council should make them do it.

Nice theory but you need:

1) a town manager (or similar) that wants to help gun owners, and
2) a way to "make" them. There is no statutory penalty for not following the law.

Nice theory but you need:

1) a town manager (or similar) that wants to help gun owners, and
2) a way to "make" them. There is no statutory penalty for not following the law.

I would think that dereliction of duty and lack of following State law could be used as an excuse to reprimand, leading to suspension, and ultimate firing of the local licensing authority. Sounds scary to me if I were the COP.

I would think that dereliction of duty and lack of following State law could be used as an excuse to reprimand, leading to suspension, and ultimate firing of the local licensing authority. Sounds scary to me if I were the COP.

Not in real life it isn't!

Relative to different issues, but I did this twice (once with a formal, written complaint against my chief for not performing his duty) with my town manager and no satisfaction either time in spite of him agreeing with me and promising to talk with the chief.

New Member here.
I'm at just over 5 months for my FID card renewal. I missed deer season here in MA (shotgun) and have been told not to leave the house with my firearms. My local PD says it's the state. The state says it's the Department of Homeland Security??? I have also been told told that the government is computerizing all records and then going over them to find old court cases looking to deny as many applications as possible. I guess they are using the "have you ever appeared in court" as a trap to snag as many as possible. I was told that I had to report that I was at Woburn District Court to appeal a traffic ticket, which I was found not responsible, as an example.
So the FID card system is now being used as a system to ban? Delays are no excuse as the high courts have stated justice delayed is justice denied...but I guess not here.
So here I sit wondering how long this can go on and do I have any recourse or are they simply going after us one FID/LTC card at a time? I am GOAL and NRA.
Harry

May I suggest a new regulatory regime:

1. An initial application for an LTC is deemed approved/granted UNLESS affirmatively rejected within the specified time frame for state action.

2. An application for LTC renewal is deemed approved/granted UNLESS affirmatively rejected within the specified time frame for state action.

Got home late last night after a long day of work, saw GOAL's newsletter on my kitchen table and read the "State of Denial" Article. Of course I already knew what's going on with the whole licensing debacle but it wasn't fresh in my mind before I walked in the door last night and I went to bed angry. This shit is out of control. Can a petition be started, handed out at clubs and gun shops and get enough signatures presented to the right people to fix this problem for good? There has got to be enough gun owners in this state that can be reached that care enough about this to sign their name next to "We've Had Enough."

I am no political activist but I can't believe they're just going to ignore us forever.

I met/spoke with Rep. Paul Heroux after the hearing Monday night and he gave me his card. I think I'll suggest that to him and make use of his Email address.
Len, I also spoke with Representative Heroux after that Monday night and I suggested that he take you Mass. Firearms Seminar. He seemed opened to it after I explained to him that you have modified the course and kept it up to date with the very latest. A gentle reminder/e-mail should push him to take it.

Just an update to the OP, this bill seems likely to pass this comes session of the legislature.

Last edited:
Len, I also spoke with Representative Heroux after that Monday night and I suggested that he take you Mass. Firearms Seminar. He seemed opened to it after I explained to him that you have modified the course and kept it up to date with the very latest. A gentle reminder/e-mail should push him to take it.

Just an update to the OP, this bill seems likely to pass this comes session of the legislature.

Only if we let it. It's time we do something about this. Hmm, IT'S TIME.

Recent newspaper article from Paul Heroux. This guy is trying to play both sides...

Posted: Sunday, January19, 2014 12:00 am
BY PAULHEROUX
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/vip/...590-aa3b-b723a91ecb18.html?mode=image&photo=0
Since Itook office on Jan. 2, 2013, one of the biggest constituent issues I ampresented with concerns guns. I hope this column helps let citizens know myposition and what I have been doing concerning guns.The firstgun bill I sponsored would fund police departments to implement evidence-basedapproaches to reducing illegal gun possession in places where gun crimes areoccurring. My bill would use proven strategies to get the guns out of the handsof people who are not supposed to have them. It makes better use of existinglaws to reduce gun crimes.
A secondbill I sponsored that received bi-partisan support in the House and Senatewould extend the grace period from 90 days to 180 days when an applicant renewstheir firearms identification (FID) and license to carry (LTC). This was deemednecessary because of the longer than usual time it takes to renew a LTC. Thisapproach is a Band-Aid but it is a necessary one at this time so that the legalgun owners' rights are preserved when they are waiting for their license to berenewed.
A thirdbill I sponsored was not too popular with gun owners. After talking with mypolice chief about my bill to extend the grace period from 90 to 180 days, hetold me that the initial period of time to process an application in 40 dayswas too short ever since its inception in 1999. He explained to me that no oneconsulted the police or state firearms records bureau. Forty days wasarbitrarily established. I asked him what a more realistic amount of time wouldbe. He said up to 90 days. I filed a bill to support the needs of my policechief.
I recentlystarted working on a solution to the manner in which the licenses that arerenewed come in six-year waves. Due to the implementation of the law thatrequired an LTC to be renewed every six years, all then LTC holders wererequired to renew ever six years going forward, which has created a bottleneck.
I am nowlooking at the possibility of eliminating the renewal process. In other words, thesystem used to be that someone would get a license and have that license untilit was revoked due to abuse or unsuitability. This is the standard in manystates. This is just an idea at this point, and I am taking input fromdifferent parties.
One of theissues that I have long championed has been to not vilify people with mentalillness. I worry that recent high profile shootings done by people who sufferedfrom a mental illness we all have heard about in the media will result in theunfair treatment of people who have or have had had a mental illness at somepoint in their lives.
My concernis that someone who once was diagnosed with ADHD or postpartum depression, orsomeone who is successfully living with bipolar disorder, to name a few, is notgoing to be allowed their Second Amendment right because of the presence of amental illness. It is not so much that we should be talking about who has amental illness and keeping the guns out of their hands because they have amental illness. The real question we should be asking is: Is the person (withor without a mental illness) a threat to self or others if said personpossessed a gun?
Mentalillness comes in many forms and degrees. The vast majority of gun crimes arenot committed with people with mental illness, and but for high-profile mediastories, which are very rare, there is little evidence to show that people withmental illness are more of a threat.
Eventhough I am a Democrat, I work very collaboratively with Republicans on thisissue. Gun rights are not an issue that many Democrats put at the top of theiragenda. But I am not the Democrat's representative. I am the Second BristolDistrict's representative, and guns are an important issue to Democrats andRepublicans in this district.
As always,please contact me on this or any other issue.
PaulHeroux of Attleboro is the state representative for the Second BristolDistrict. He can be reached at 508-639-9511 or [email protected].

What is the reason that it takes so long? Seems like nothing is being done to find out or address where the delay is in the system.

If I am renewing, that means I was spotless at my last renewal. Had I done anything in the interim that would have made me a prohibited person, why wouldn't they have known about it and revoked my LTC well before renewal time? Is "the system" that bad that there are actually people that fall through the cracks and they discover they are prohibited person at renewal time?

Why is it that a non resident can renew a Utah license online, and have the new license in a week? For the princely sum of $15.75 no less.

Has anyone ever gotten a legitimate explanation (other than manpower issues) as to why it takes months in this age where NSA knows all?

Back
Top Bottom