• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big Barnstable Range Changes

I remember the first time shooting there when I instinctively went to police up my brass. I looked down and said, "My God, what's the point?" I started trying to pick up the freshest looking cases but ended up just grabbing a snow shovel I happened to have in my truck and scooped a few loads of them up into the trash.

Yea the brass is pretty bad, my dad and I always pick up double what we shoot.

Frequent range closures

I went to this range yesterday, only to find it is closed this entire week for police use. I am getting more than a little fed up with the Natural Resource office for the frequent range closures. I understand the police need to practice, but do they need 5 consecutive days ? How about 2 or 3 days in any given week so the shooting public can also have access ?
I have also asked the Natural Resource office to post the closure dates on the town's website, but my requests seem to fall on deaf ears.

I went to this range yesterday, only to find it is closed this entire week for police use. I am getting more than a little fed up with the Natural Resource office for the frequent range closures. I understand the police need to practice, but do they need 5 consecutive days ? How about 2 or 3 days in any given week so the shooting public can also have access ?
I have also asked the Natural Resource office to post the closure dates on the town's website, but my requests seem to fall on deaf ears.

That has happened to me on several occasions and it particularly sucked after driving for a half hour to get there. The range is part of the town and I also think its hours and closings should be posted on the town site.

I agree with you all on this. I have been calling first, they are nice enough on the phone, but just a pain to do.

I just spent a few hours updating my club's on line calendar. I feel that there is nothing worse than having a member drive some distance just to find the area of the club shut down of reserved.

Of course we still find some members don't read the posting or check and come out anyway, then get po'ed.

As far as qualifications, due to the 24/7 schedules and on duty qualifications, it usually takes at least five days or more to get every officer on every shift the time to get to the range. Fortunately we had our own range limited only to member police departments and it took me two weeks to run everyone through the course.

Back
Top Bottom