Big Barnstable Range Changes

Producer

NES Member
I heard that they are getting rid of the Pistol and Rifle range, and putting in a Trap / Skeet range.

The old Shotgun Range will be a pistol rifle range (with 200 yards). they will also be adding another one closer to the entrance for the police.

Now that's all I know, all hear say, but Its going to be addressed at a town meeting (I believe) on the 28th. I will post more as I hear. Anyone know more?

UPDATE: Be at the town hall on the 28th at 8pm

http://imhz.livejournal.com/7940.html

Last edited:
I was over there yesterday with my dad and buddy from work, we saw the posting about the meeting, but I don't know any of the details. I'm gonna see if I can get the night off from work and head down to the meeting.

I screwed up and forgot to pay up for the next 2 years this Spring. I bet they're out of the allotted number of passes now.

Hmm, I tried sending an email to the department, but it bounced back to me last night. When I got my first 2 year pass in 2004 the woman told me they only issued a certain number of passes/keys.

I was there yesterday also. What time?

I think it was sometime in the afternoon.

Between 2 and 5 PM I believe, I went with my dad and a friend from work.

We did a little skeet or trap (can't remember which it is when there's only one clay) shooting, then a couple of magazines in the 9mm, and then burned through 150 rounds of .223 with my Bushmaster.

There was an older gentlemen with 2 young guys and a young girl there, 2nd time I've seen 'em there, shooting .22's I think. Then when we were down to the last 20 rounds of .223, an environmental police officer showed up and checked my dad's pass; there were also 2 middle aged guys that had just shown up with pistols, and one guy was eating pizza...haha.

So if any of those people were you, I SAW YOU! [smile]

Haha, I know the old guy isn't you, I was asking if by "the threesome" you were referring to the old guy and the kids, or myself, father, and friend from work.

Naw, it was that guy with the two women I was talking about.

But I tell ya, I would love to get my hands on some proposal maps.

I got the report

I got a copy from the NRD and put it into PDF.
Get the PDF here.

The pic is from Phase 4. This is four ranges with one pistol, one shotgun, and two 200 yard rifle. Let's get it done. Be at the town hall on the 28th, 8pm.

range.jpg

I will also do updates on my Barnstable blog imhz.livejournal.com

Rumor is they were getting noise complaints and they were going to make changes.

The neighbors shouldn't have built houses next to a range that has been there for more than twice as long as most of them have been alive.

I used to shoot there and the noise is not that bad. I've driven around, parked and listened on several occasions. The few people that are complaining of noise are just libtard elitist whiners who think they are more entitled than others.

The laws of MA are clear about noise complaints from established firing ranges. The town should tell those few neighbors to shut their pie hole or move. Problem is, the people running Barnstable are spineless.

The noise complaints is dumb.

Route 6 is right there. Much louder and kills/hurts more people each year. Why don't they shut that down?

The noise complaints is dumb.

Route 6 is right there. Much louder and kills/hurts more people each year. Why don't they shut that down?

Well, we know that won't happen but the noise from the traffic on Rt 6 drowns out any noise that comes from that range. I've sat at that rest area that is right next to the range on a busy shooting day and barely heard anything over the traffic.

As I said, the few who are complaining are elitist whiners who think because they built a "house on the Cape" that they are more entitled than those who persue their shooting hobby....or police qualifications for that matter. There is a reason that that land around that range has been vacant for several decades.....people were smart enough not to build there. These "newcomers" think their shit doesn't stink and the entire world around them should change at their beck and call.

I live in Sandwich and can hear the range (louder shots only). That is not the point though. The range serves a very good number of people, including LEO's. We need this range and I give Barnstable alot of credit for fixing her up. The plans look nice.

Producer- good luck! If I lived in Barnstable, I'd vote for you.

A quote from the article: "A workshop will be set in the future for ConCom to discuss hours, machine gun fire, and other issues.

Ooooo.....machinegun fire! [rolleyes][rolleyes]

Until the local PDs got their UMP machineguns (just a few years ago), there wasn't a handfull of machineguns ever fired at that range, myself being one of them. Matter of fact, I only met one other shooter there in several years that had a machinegun. My trips were once every few weeks if that. I hardly ever shot them there in the summer as the traffic to and from the range on Rt 6 was a parking lot on weekends so their complaints of chronic machinegun fire at that range are complete bullshit.
The whiners are using any and all tactics to get their way and the ConCom is swallowing their bullshit hook, line and sinker. The whiners will never relent until they get their way and close it, as they are tuned in to that range like a radar beacon. It has become their mission in life and they have too much free time on their hands.
They are using the same incremental tactics that all anti gunners use to deprive others of their guns and hobby. The ConCom should have taken a hardline right off the bat and not given an inch to the few whiners...but they are spineless.

Well they said there was one complaint of Machine gun fire at night, and it was verified as Police training. I am also sure that people are confused as to what Machine gun fire is.

And I think they did not give an inch to theses people. I just fear the hours "may" actually change. That would be very bad.

I attended the meeting and the plans do sound good. But remember, although they are "going forward" with plans, there are no funds currently allocated for this project, so don't expect to see any results soon.

There was brief discussion regarding membership fees charged by private clubs, but they should not be directly compared, as the public range only has the outside ranges and no other facilities, whereas most private clubs have a clubhouse, indoor range, social activities, etc.
BTW: I see range fees are now $ 25 for 1 year for residents, so sounds like they have already doubled.
I got this info from a handout at the meeting.

Finally, while I understand the local resident's concerns, I doubt that range improvements will result in substantial increase of range usage by the public, as shooting sports overall are in a decline in this state and the range will not compete with private clubs for reasons mentioned above. Use by the so-called outside agencies is a concern and could increase, and I think this should be looked into closer.

Last edited:
I think the range is the greatest thing on the cape. It's nice to be able to go shooting as much as you want without the high price of a rod and gun club. I have several friends from work who shoot all the time there. It would be nice to see improvements to it. The best thing would be to have people clean up after themselves.

I remember the first time shooting there when I instinctively went to police up my brass. I looked down and said, "My God, what's the point?" I started trying to pick up the freshest looking cases but ended up just grabbing a snow shovel I happened to have in my truck and scooped a few loads of them up into the trash.

Back
Top Bottom