• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best way to conceal carry on a motorcycle?

Bike season is here and I’m looking for advice as to the best way to carry concealed on a motorcycle. I have a street bike and was wondering what methods other riders use.

Don't have real life experience, but I can only imagine on a sportsbike, 4-5 o'clock carry would be best if you're hunched over aggressively. Be careful with your clothes, I know sometimes my shirts pull out during riding and may show my waistline.

What is bike "season"? I ride year round if road conditions allow and my choice of carry depends on my clothes that I'm wearing at he time. I have noticed that appendix carry is difficult on a tree-dart type bike, but on my bagger its not an issue. Most often it's IWB, about 4 o'clock position, with a fairly aggressive forward cant.

I tend to carry small of the back with an IWB holster, but I've got a sissy bar with a T-bag that provides more cover. I can reach it with either hand. I used to wear a shoulder holster a lot, it conceals very well. In almost all cases you're better off riding away or stopping rather than trying to juggle gun and bike simultaneously.

Shoulder holster. Keep the gun as far from your spine as you can. If you go down and carry small of the back, you better be comfy with the idea of a life in a wheelchair.

My leather has an inside and outside chest pocket with a zipper which provides nice roomy storage for most everything I'd choose to carry. I'm left handed and my jacket has the pockets on both sides which is convenient. When the weather gets warmer I sometimes wear an ankle holster with a small auto turned so the gun sits on the inside of my leg. it if is warm enough and I'm down to wearing a tank or sleeveless T I'll drop something into the windshield bag or saddlebag. I stay away from carrying anything on my waist when on the bike. I certainly wouldn't carry anything on or inside the waistband without a retention strap on it to hold the gun in the holster.

I don't have a bike but I would recommend not using the delonte west method. Guitar case slung on your back

I've been struggling with this question myself. For me, it depends upon the carry choice and riding gear. If one rides ATTGATT (all the gear, all the time), then one's options are different than riding otherwise. One could carry a Sig P938 in an ankle holster inside a loosely fastened boot over leathers or pants, or put a Desert Eagle in a belly band under a suit or jacket (if the garment has space). Or, in this state, separate firearm from ammo and put firearm in locked container in luggage. I dress for the crash, and don't really want my ribs having an extra reason to break, so am thinking about buying a P938 and trying out the boot thing... [grin]

Last edited:
Shoulder holster. Keep the gun as far from your spine as you can. If you go down and carry small of the back, you better be comfy with the idea of a life in a wheelchair.

I have a good friend who picked up a pint can of paint and put it in his back pack. Hit sand on his way home and he and his bike went into the woods on a turn. He flew through the air and landed on his back. The paint can pushed 3 vertebrae right out of his spine but if you can believe it, did NOT cut his spinal cord. Some how some way it didn't happen. Months in bed with rods in his back but now he's pretty damn good. It was his lucky day for sure!

If you look there is a couple companies making bike clothes with holsters built in. I personally own a vest with a inside holster pocket that I carry my .45 in. I ride a Roadking though so you might want something a little smaller on a sport bike.

- - - Updated - - -

I front pocket carry in jeans just about all the time but on a bike it's worse then useless. I transitioned my Keltec P3AT to my back pocket. Fits just like a wallet in my back pocket and I can reach it if needed. If you carry bigger it becomes infinitely more difficult especially when it's hot and all your wearing is a tshirt.

IWB between 3-4:00. My leather as well as my textile jackets are both cut so that the back is quite a bit longer than the front of the jacket. Even if my shirt rides up the jackets never have so it keep severythign covered. My textile jacket also has the zipper in the back so I can attach it to my riding pants if I want.

I tend to carry small of the back with an IWB holster, but I've got a sissy bar with a T-bag that provides more cover. I can reach it with either hand. I used to wear a shoulder holster a lot, it conceals very well. In almost all cases you're better off riding away or stopping rather than trying to juggle gun and bike simultaneously.

And after Frenchman's comment regarding spinal injury seriously rethinking this...

And after Frenchman's comment regarding spinal injury seriously rethinking this...

That spinal injury is related to the fact of having an accident on a bike, not carrying foreign objects. If it wasn't a paint can or anything else in the backpack, it would've easily been the bike itself or a ballpoint pen in your pocket.

IWB or small auto in cargo pocket (same as always)

Have toyed around with the idea of a non- throttle side carry, but hope to avoid a-holes while moving and get off the bike should real trouble arrive.

I second this method. I have a lockable fairing pocket on my BMW but if I am going to carry on my person a shoulder holster is the only way to go.

Sport bike guy here. I am a all the gear rider. I find that I have the best luck with a 3 o'clock carry. When I lean forward it goes with me. I will admit I do sometimes carry in a leg drop that works really well.

That spinal injury is related to the fact of having an accident on a bike, not carrying foreign objects. If it wasn't a paint can or anything else in the backpack, it would've easily been the bike itself or a ballpoint pen in your pocket.

True, riding does have its inherent risks, but you can reduce the risk by riding smart and wearing protective gear. Riding with a hard object positioned like a vertebral drift increases the risk of injury.

303a3b9e32ffe3bcbacf5740ed98f3f7.jpg

c5d8994355b954b22b19705c8c6a853c.jpg

shotgun%20on%20bike.jpg

148.jpeg

151822-stranger-albums-22395-bikes-i-like-picture100480-machine-gun-usmc-motorcycle.jpg

It is funny. I was riding a few weeks ago and I was thinking about this exact thing. I was thinking a 3 0'clock as long as I could keep it high enough and a jacket cover. I am not so sure this would work with a t-shirt or anything unless it was a very very small gun.

An alternate question that someone may be able to answer. What if it was in a tank bag? Would that be considered direct control? Obviously if you left the bike to go anywhere you would need to grab and holster it.

On a side note... A few years ago I was with my father up in Hampton riding (prior to my interest in firearms and understanding of carry laws) and we were in traffic going down the strip (shocker) and I realized that the guy on the Harley in front of me was in Jeans and a T with a (from what I could remember) a M&P (9 or 40)c open carry at the 3 o'clock. I was a little shocked at the time, but now not so much... I just don't think I would want to draw that type of attention in the middle of Hampton on a summer day...others may disagree.

It is funny. I was riding a few weeks ago and I was thinking about this exact thing. I was thinking a 3 0'clock as long as I could keep it high enough and a jacket cover. I am not so sure this would work with a t-shirt or anything unless it was a very very small gun.

An alternate question that someone may be able to answer. What if it was in a tank bag? Would that be considered direct control? Obviously if you left the bike to go anywhere you would need to grab and holster it.

On a side note... A few years ago I was with my father up in Hampton riding (prior to my interest in firearms and understanding of carry laws) and we were in traffic going down the strip (shocker) and I realized that the guy on the Harley in front of me was in Jeans and a T with a (from what I could remember) a M&P (9 or 40)c open carry at the 3 o'clock. I was a little shocked at the time, but now not so much... I just don't think I would want to draw that type of attention in the middle of Hampton on a summer day...others may disagree.

Live up the street in North Hampton. While I choose to keep it concealed, we see it a lot in Hampton during the summer and it's no big deal. Hampton cops are way better than North Hampton and I know the Hampton cops don't blink an eye don't care at all...All is right in the world.

I just carry like I normally do and if my jacket comes up and exposes it, oh well. Keeps people from getting to close, haha. Lately, I've come to like shoulder holsters when riding.

Live up the street in North Hampton. While I choose to keep it concealed, we see it a lot in Hampton during the summer and it's no big deal. Hampton cops are way better than North Hampton and I know the Hampton cops don't blink an eye don't care at all...All is right in the world.

Thanks for the info. Like I said it didn't bother me, but I would like some idiot with her kids who sees it and freaks out for no reason... I agree that why not conceal when you can

Back
Top Bottom