• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best reasonably priced tactical ma legal shotgun?? any thoughts?

OK, so it's a 53043 point check (maybe), some springs, different furniture AND better extractor/ejector. Comes down to extractor/ejector. For a weapon likely NEVER to be used, one has to question how much is enough. Each has to answer themselves.

Never had my 870 (express) lose an extractor or ejector.

My buddy has a Mossberg 590 with the pistol grip and non-adjustable stock. I like it. After about 1k or more rounds, it wasn't cycling bird shot properly, but then he actually cleaned it, and now it runs great again. My big reason for preferring the Mossberg over the Remington is that as a lefty, I find that the Remington safety sucks. I like how the Mossberg points with the pistol grip.

I find my 590 isn't as smooth as my 870. Maybe a couple thousands rounds of trap loads did help the 870 smooth out. Maybe. LOL

exctly a few "improved" parts on the express... Im not buying it that the ladies are really giving do much more attention to detail that it warrants the cost increase... so what they tumble the recievers a tad longer after machining...all the up grades they do are easy to install yourself also...
fine you dont have the skill set to replace a few parts then have at it.
http://www.rem870.com/2012/07/30/10-steps-to-upgrade-your-remington-870-express-to-police-version/

OK, so it's a 53043 point check (maybe), some springs, different furniture AND better extractor/ejector. Comes down to extractor/ejector. For a weapon likely NEVER to be used, one has to question how much is enough. Each has to answer themselves.

Never had my 870 (express) lose an extractor or ejector.

I find my 590 isn't as smooth as my 870. Maybe a couple thousands rounds of trap loads did help the 870 smooth out. Maybe. LOL

Agreed. The 590A1 is a low-bid gun--and like all firearms stuff lately, it is expensive for what you are actually getting.

Last edited:
I have another buddy with an 870, and I agree that overall it's a better gun. I just hate the safety. Plus, his 870 was a few years older. I question the quality of anything that Remington makes these days.

Concur on the safety. I hope that some day I'll put about a bajillion rounds through the 590 and smooth it out a bit. ;)

I have another buddy with an 870, and I agree that overall it's a better gun. I just hate the safety. Plus, his 870 was a few years older. I question the quality of anything that Remington makes these days.

Used Wingmaster is the answer to how to get a good quality and reasonable priced 870. It doesn't address anything if you hate the safety but you get get a good looking, well built, and likely pre-worn in 870 for the price of a new express. I would venture to say that the 1960s era one I got is hands down better than any current production express and I paid under $300 for it. (Had to buy a new barrel so I could have interchangable chokes but for a home defense gun I could have left it with the fixed IC barrel and been fine)

I looked at the mossberg and the 870 express but decided I just liked the well built feel of a wingmaster more so I looked around and found one that fit the bill. I am a lefty, so if I was to consider taking it hunting I might look at flipping the safety around but for what I use it for the safety has been a non-factor (back up for trap or just range fun).

Last edited:
We have a beautiful 1981 870 Police: but we keep the Mossberg at the house.

If you are lefty, the 870 safety is a PITA.

Another vote for Remington 870 Police Magnum. I had built mine up from a used receiver and it was a little over $500 or so a while back.

I'm liking my new Hawk 982T (870 clone) from the GB. It's got the extra killy pistol grip... all for $200 out the door.

From my unscientific comparison, the 982T felt more solid and hefty compared the 870 Express and Mossy 500 I handled at the store. Also, a lot less rattly with the same smooth (or not so smooth) action. Though I must say I like the Mossy tang safety a lot more.

Hawk 982T: $200
870 Express: $240 + tax (BPS BF deal, after rebates)
Mossy 500: $250 (online)

Similar in price, but feel like I get more metal for my the value.

Isn't it possible to reverse the safety to flip it around?

No. The knuckleheads at Remington offset the safety plunger about .040 off center in the trigger assembly, so you can't just reverse it. You can either buy a $125 trigger assembly in left hand or have a smith fill the existing hole and redrill it .040 on the other side of center.

On the Benelli Supernova/Nova, the safety is almost identical to the Remington one, and is reversible. So I bought one. [smile]

No. The knuckleheads at Remington offset the safety plunger about .040 off center in the trigger assembly, so you can't just reverse it. You can either buy a $125 trigger assembly in left hand or have a smith fill the existing hole and redrill it .040 on the other side of center.

On the Benelli Supernova/Nova, the safety is almost identical to the Remington one, and is reversible. So I bought one. [smile]
Huh I can see how my understanding and your experience could both be right.

https://support.remington.com/02_PU...modified_to_accomodate_a_left_handed_shooter?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

590A1/12g with Magpul furniture 18.5". Cost me around 430 new. Gets heavy at the range. My wife and daughter can't get past the recoil....thinking I should've gone 20g for HDefence. Do like the gun though.

20ga are lighter so the felt recoil is comparable. And HD rounds are very limited for 20ga vs. 12ga.

We have a 20ga Mossberg 500 and don't see any need to replace it, but do-over I'd probably get a 12ga. Speer Lawman and other "Tactical" loads typically have less recoil than hunting loads. We use Speer Lawman #4 in 12ga, believe that line is discontinued.

20ga are lighter so the felt recoil is comparable. And HD rounds are very limited for 20ga vs. 12ga.

We have a 20ga Mossberg 500 and don't see any need to replace it, but do-over I'd probably get a 12ga. Speer Lawman and other "Tactical" loads typically have less recoil than hunting loads. We use Speer Lawman #4 in 12ga, believe that line is discontinued.

I would also add that recoil pad can be another dimension of choice that can effect felt recoil. Having a gun that fits you and a pad that actually absorbs some energy can really make it easier to withstand the recoil.

I would also add that recoil pad can be another dimension of choice that can effect felt recoil. Having a gun that fits you and a pad that actually absorbs some energy can really make it easier to withstand the recoil.

Also check out the Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock (they may have changed the name somewhat) as that truly absorbs 70-80% of the recoil and is perfectly MA legal for pumps (NOT legal on semi-autos however, AWB violation). Due to a torn rotator cuff, I bought it and can shot the Rem 870 Police Magnum with no ill effects. A plus is the adjustable stock for people with different arm lengths (or Winter vs. Summer clothing).

We have a beautiful 1981 870 Police: but we keep the Mossberg at the house.

If you are lefty, the 870 safety is a PITA.

simple conversion out there... I also believe you can get the newer trigger housing which is easy to swap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...nversion-remington-552-740-760-870-1100-11-87
its plastic but works...
I used to get all my 870 stuff from Tanks Rifle Shop they had nice metal LH safeties with out any need to modify.

like I said though i think more recent manufactured trigger guards are easy to swap around. The older one you had to drill a new detent hole.

with that said i just read FS guns email and they have the mossberg talo scorpion on special for 499$ i am not a mossberg fan nor do i know anything about these shotguns but I do like how it looks..

Last edited:
Wow 9 pages of replies going back to 6/30/2016 and not once response from the OP.

Well here is my 2 cents, I bet this guy is budget minded and hardly ever going to shoot(like me). Poor but wanted something decent that wouldn't break the bank.

I picked this up at Dicks sporting goods for $189(about 1 1/2 years ago)Savage Stevens 320:
image_zpsb3012075.jpg

Pistol grip with ghost ring sight

Even hickok did a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClfeLe9pZQ0

I put about 50 rounds through it cleaned it and stored in my gun safe.
I know there is way better out there and one day I may get something better but for now this is what I have.

Back
Top Bottom