Best reasonably priced tactical ma legal shotgun?? any thoughts?

Moss berg 500 Tactical Chainsaw for most tacticool range points.

wm_8017393.jpg

THAT.......is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
But I'm also going to guess Massachusetts won't let me have it, too scary looking.

Pump or semi-automatic?

I only have one shotgun. Rem 870. I have the 26" VR barrel w/ chokes, the rifled deer barrel, and an 18" Mossberg home defense barrel for it.

I'd love a semi-automatic at some point. Mossberg 930 as shown above, or maybe the Benelli or Beretta. Or maybe I'll just keep the 870, and buy another handgun or AR.

Is this tactical enough?

Here's my Rem 870 Police Magnum. Former cruiser gun that came with the side-saddle and Surefire front end (less than $400). I changed out the synthetic stock for a Knoxx Recoil Reducing collapsible stock (legal on pumps in MA) due to prior shoulder injury, added the sling and fiber-optic snap-on front sight.

Rem 870 Police Magnum-sm.jpg

I'm going to echo the Stoeger M3000,
I have been beating mine like a rented mule for the past three seasons of 3 gun and practical shotgun competition, and for an inexpensive autoloader, there is nothing I hate about it.
the gun just runs, it is inertia driven so you can blast with it and you aren't going to get stoppages like with a dirty gas gun.

Not really tactical IMO but I bought the Stoeger double defense side by side in 12g for the wife and put a TLR light on the rail... its all the house needs. I was hesitant at first with only two shots but its easier than training the family over and over with a pump action.

THAT.......is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
But I'm also going to guess Massachusetts won't let me have it, too scary looking.

I recall someone doing either a YewTewb or TV review of it. The overgrip did not provide a good lever as to throw the slide well. Short stroking and stoppages were frequent enough to consider NEVER using it.

Me? 870 or 590. That's only b/c of the attachments that are out there.

But. . . . I've always thought an Ithaca would be nice b/c it bottom-ejects. Left, right, no matter.

Benelli Supernova tactical - lefty friendly. I liked the standard stock over the pistol grip one, their recoil reduction stuff in the standard one is great.

Not the shotgun to buy if you want multiple different barrels, though. The price on their barrels makes buying another shotgun cost effective.

ETA - BassPro list the Supernova tactical for $479 with the standard stock, so not priced like their semis. All I've added to mine is sling mounts and a mag tube extension.

Last edited:
Benelli M-4 or M-2, Remington 870 Police, no express models they are junk compared to how the police models are built. Mossberg 590A1 or if you can find a used Beretta 1201FP they are an excellent shotgun, basically a Benelli M-2 just a lilt different . All are great guns, but my first choice is a Benelli. Just came back from Benelli armorers class, The M-4 is the way to go if you can afford it. YMMV

Benelli M-4 or M-2, Remington 870 Police, no express models they are junk compared to how the police models are built. Mossberg 590A1 or if you can find a used Beretta 1201FP they are an excellent shotgun, basically a Benelli M-2 just a lilt different . All are great guns, but my first choice is a Benelli. Just came back from Benelli armorers class, The M-4 is the way to go if you can afford it. YMMV

I know they have "updated" parts on the police model but are they not just built off the express? My friend had one and other than a slightly different trigger assembly and some stronger springs it's just an express...

- - - Updated - - -

I know they have "updated" parts on the police model but are they not just built off the express? My friend had one and other than a slightly different trigger assembly and some stronger springs it's just an express...

So the title of the thread is "reasonably priced"

I looked at a bunch of Benelli M-4 online, was $2000-$4000, YIKES! [sad2]

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rem870.com/2011/06/21/differences-between-remington-870-express-and-remington-870-police/

Good info here, and on his site

Those are good, concise videos.

Keep checking in with Summit Gunbroker. They get a lot of Police trade-in's. This is a lot of shotgun for $235:

http://summitgunbroker.com/870-mag.html

http://summitgunbroker.com/870p-s.html

I personally prefer the ergonomics of the Mossberg 590, the safety and slide release in particualar.

I like the Hogue short stocks:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ossberg-500-12-length-of-pull-synthetic-black

and Federal 00 tactical buck with the flight control wad:

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy has a Mossberg 590 with the pistol grip and non-adjustable stock. I like it. After about 1k or more rounds, it wasn't cycling bird shot properly, but then he actually cleaned it, and now it runs great again. My big reason for preferring the Mossberg over the Remington is that as a lefty, I find that the Remington safety sucks. I like how the Mossberg points with the pistol grip.

Back
Top Bottom