Best price on Mountain House FD food?

I have been looking around for a good one-shot supply of Mountain House #10 canned food to jump start my cache. Is there a place that folks like better that has good prices?

I've been thinking of stocking up on some of the Mountain House stuff. A group buy would be great.

A guy I work with recently took delivery of a years worth (for 2 people) of Mountain House stuff.

It was 800 pounds on 2 pallets.

Believe it or not, I've gotten some of the best prices on Mtn House from Vitacost.com. Look for the sale items where you need to add it to your cart to see the price, usually great deals. Not a huge supply, and they sometimes send you an email saying shipment will be delayed, but really good deals and worth the wait.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResu...s_kwcid=TC|3001|mountain house||S|b|465872291

I've also gotten stuff from nitro-pak.com and TheReadyStore.com, BUT you need to look for the items that are on sale. Compare prices. Readystore also sells their own brand of Saratoga fruits and veggies which give you more variety than just MH and last 25+ yrs as well.

My advice is to buy a variety of things, not all the same stuff. Besides the entrees, get cereal, eggs, fruits, veggies, etc. Consider what the rest of your family will eat, especially if you have young kids. A lot of the entrees are very high in salt, so get some of the 100% beef and chicken so you can do your own thing. Mtn House lasts 25-30 years, some of the other freeze dried brands do not. Also, these require water, so you should have stored 5-15 gal/pp min and a decent portable filter system.

Last edited:
Hi Eveyone have you checked out survivalistborad there's a person under the name urban cowboy has a great tip on making your own MRE muck less than any other I did it.

KTP had the Mountain House pouches a buck or 2 cheaper than Walmart. Good selection too.

Do you remember what the prices were like? I have not checked Walmart on the Mountain House stuff - so I wasn't sure where their prices were.

Online I am seeing the 1 person packs in the $4-$5 range.

Do you remember what the prices were like? I have not checked Walmart on the Mountain House stuff - so I wasn't sure where their prices were.

Online I am seeing the 1 person packs in the $4-$5 range.

The packages at Walmart varied from $6-8 depending on size (most are 2 servings, some are 4)

Kittery had them from $4~ to $5~ (though a few of the 4 serving ones might have broken 6.)

I got 6 of them to try before I stock up... only had the mac and cheese so far (very rich and heavy in sodium.. good luck finishing a whole one no matter how hungry you are).

They are not high and calories (800 total at most i think).

They're certainly easy to prepare though, and get the job done if you need to eat something tastier than a calorie bar.

I'd be interested in this too.

A friend told me about www.bing.com and their shopping section which gives you cash back on stuff you buy. Altrec had these and I believe they gave a pretty good amount cash back on purchases. (I think 24%)

Back
Top Bottom