• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best police sidearm

Our 'incidents' are different from the norm. 30-40 yards for an engagement is not uncommon, as is our round count with multiple assailants most of the time.

MGV-TADEUS-JORDAN-2.jpg

[wink]

I think the appropriate questions is the best police siadearm for what purpose and what benefit. Reliability? Uniformity of caliber? Will the officer ever need to carry it concealed? Capacity? All considerations to ask.

All around--I'd say the M&P. Why? Believe it or not, the interchangable grips.

While I like Glock, they're one size fits all. When my PD had .40 3 gen Smith and Wessons, a few officers with smaller hands actually had to carry the gun in 9mm because the tip of the .40 was too much. We found the problem was solved with the M&P due to the grips--and now everyone has the .45. Uniformity of ammo is important in the shit and streamlines procurement of ammo and accessories. The .45 also does not have the same kick as the .40 or 9mm for the more-recoil adverse officer.

The M&P .45 is not without its issues, chief among them it's sheer size. I sometimes find myself wanting my 3rd Gen back when it's jamming into my side when I'm sitting in the cruiser; the mag floor plates and pistol grip base have also torn a bunch of seat backs.

With that said, that's my opinion. YMMV.

I shoot better with a revolver... & who the hell is gonna keep a 12 pound trigger on it anyway? NOT ME!

A long time ago in a town not that far away,we were issued S&W 67 but were allowed to carry what we could qualify with as long as it was 38spl or 357MAG. I started with a very nice S&W 19 and when the 586 came out I got one. Carried that for some time. No matter what we carried, we were issued SuperVel ammo in either 38spl or 357MAG 158gr JSP.

I now prefer a Sig 226 in 357SIG. I no longer do that type of work but I still prefer the Sig. Even as a die hard revolver guy, the Sig is my choice.

To the poster that wants a G23, send me an e mail. I have a gen 3 23 for sale but I think it is gone. If the deal falls through, I would let you know.

I carry the G23 now, I'd rather carry the G22, I wouldn't mind a G21 or an M&P 45 at all. I am comfortable with the 40, I like it, and I've shot it more often than the other major calibers. The 40 is street proven and very effective, and I trust it as much as i trust the 45. That said, I would be very comfortable with a full size 45, I think the recoil is a little easier to manage, which can make a difference on the street. I would hesitate on the 9mm as a duty round only for what I have read about the 9mm having trouble with barriers. I could be wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to carry 9mm off duty. I've never even shot the .357 Sig, so I can't comment on it.

If you want to shoot 357sig, let me know. I have ammo and a barrel for your 23. That would give you a perfect comparison of the 2 rounds in the same gun.

I am retired from Law Enforcement and my daily carry now is a 1911. As a duty firearm for Law Enforcement, The revolver requires very little thinking on a misfire, just pull the trigger again. An auto loader requires muscle memory training until it becomes instinct. Tap, Rack, and Assess or Shoot, as the situation may require. There is also the issue or clearing stove pipes should they happen (Yes, I know, they are shooter created, but they happen) This does not happen with a revolver.

There are also concerns about service weapons with safeties.

One school of thought is not to have a service weapon with one as it could be on when the gun is drawn and not taken off, delaying the first shot and putting the officer in danger.

I don't know much so..
i hear so much about how nice 1911 are. Why dont any want to carry a 1911.

One school of thought is not to have a service weapon with one as it could be on when the gun is drawn and not taken off, delaying the first shot and putting the officer in danger.
That, and I think there is some concern--however illegitamate--about carrying with the hammer back. Keep in mind a duty gun is exposed and always getting banged around in the car, and the hammer would even potentially have to survive an officer's full body weight + perp if he's rolling around on the ground. Not too much of an issue with the Series 80's, but I think the hammer back makes some police leaders nervous.

FWIW, members of special units are following the lead of LAPD SWAT and moving to 1911's but I don't see it becoming a general issue duty weapon so long as options like the M&P are available in .45 ACP.

First we have to look at the average amount of rounds that are being fired by the police officer in a gunfight. It is still less than three rounds. So how does that justify a pistol and forty plus rounds on the gunbelt?
With that said, I really believe that the police should go back to the revolver, They work everytime, on a misfire just pull the trigger again and another round comes up. No Tap, Rack, and Bang. The pushing of the pistol onto the police depts was nothing more than marketing by the gun makers, Since revolvers were lasting so long there was no continuing market.
So, If you look back in some of the works of the police gunfighters (Bill Jordan) and gun gurus(Elmer Keith) they came up with the idea of the 41Mag. though it didn't catch on in a revolver, the 40 did catch on as a pistol cartridge.
So I would have to say the best firearm for the police business would be the S & W Model 57.

Really? It definitely wasn't about marketing or rounds fired in a gun fight.

It takes little training to get someone to perform an immediate action instinctively when you get a FTF. If the pistol is maintained properly, and quality duty ammunition is used the likelihood of a FTF is minimal at best. Most semi auto duty guns are actually cheaper than revolvers as well.

Average rounds fired is well... an average. I don't go hunting with only three shells because that's all that I think I will need based on the average number of shots fired in a season. What if the SHTF and some of the boys from Charlestown hit the bank with AKs? I might need ten rounds to deal with an ambush and ten more to stop the threat. Better to have and not need.

Revolvers have their place, but in my opinion as a back up. Times change and tactics/training evolves.

I carry a M&P 45 at work and off duty. Rugged, reliable, and accurate as hell. I have over 3,500 rounds through my personal gun and zero malfunctions attributed to the gun. Just my $.02.

I carry the M&P 40 (no safety) as my duty weapon and fire it on a regular basis. On my drill weekend a few months back we qualified with the M9 on the pop up range. I was dropping the targets without a problem, but then after a mag change I found that when I pulled the trigger, nothing happened. Sooo what did I do? Tap, rack , squeeze... nothing..... tap, rack, squeeze... nothing..... THEN my brain turned back on and said "Hey dip sh*t, this one has a safety".... A safety which I activated by racking over the top like I do on my duty weapon....

Granted, had I fired the M9 more than every 6-12 months for qual this may have not been an issue, but I am a fan of no mechanical safety on my duty weapon.

1911's actually seem to be rather common in this area for duty carry, much to my surprise. The sheriff's office carries them, and a lot of PD's in this area don't supply a duty pistol, but rather provide a list of approved manufacturers and calibers. As such it seems a lot of cops go with 1911's.

+1

I wonder if those who question the accuracy and ease of use of revolvers have ever used one?

ETA the number of shooters who have never fired a revolver keeps growing every day so the comments don't surprise me.

I own several revolvers, including a Model 66 that I've competed with in IDPA. I'm not saying revolvers are inaccurate or impossible to shoot well. My point is that for a given level of training starting from scratch, an auto is easier to shoot. Also, the revo suffers from low ammo capacity and slow reloads. A sub 2 second shot to shot slide lock reload is easy on an auto. With a speedloader revolver, sub 3 seconds is world class.

He was 'the man'. Even though he killed a co-worker :p (on accident, the gun just 'went off' kinda thing).

And all the 'omghowbadarecopstoday' crowd would crap themselves if he walked into the room. Those guys were hard core like nothing else, if you've read his, and others of his generation of the Patrol, books it's amazing what they got away with.

edited for grievous spelling errors.

I own several revolvers, including a Model 66 that I've competed with in IDPA. I'm not saying revolvers are inaccurate or impossible to shoot well. My point is that for a given level of training starting from scratch, an auto is easier to shoot. Also, the revo suffers from low ammo capacity and slow reloads. A sub 2 second shot to shot slide lock reload is easy on an auto. With a speedloader revolver, sub 3 seconds is world class.

I am just gonna leave this right here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw.

My old Baretta 96D had a trigger that would foil anyone trying to shoot it. I gave it to a buddy one day while we were shooting. He 'pulled' the trigger three times and handed it back to me saying something was wrong with it. I had to explain the intricacies of firing a gun with a TWELVE lb trigger. Oh yes, the old INS guns had 12-14 lb triggers.

I am just gonna leave this right here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw.

Yes, because everyone is a professional shooter with decades of experience with revolvers ;/ (we need a 'not impressed' smiley)

I've carried a few different firearms issued by various departments that I have worked for. My least favorite was a glock 22. I'm not a big fan of the grip angle, nor of the 40 caliber round. Nothing against guys that like glock, they are simple and reliable, just not my cup of tea.

Best weapon for me was a sig 220 in 45. It had great presence and fit my hand perfectly. Talk about point and shoot! I've never had tighter groups with a handgun and love the da/sa action that makes follow up shots a breeze. I miss that gun, it's going to be my next handgun purchase once I have some spare cash.

Edit: iPhone posting is hard.

I've carried a few different firearms issued by various departments that I have worked for. My least favorite was a glock 22. I'm not a big fan of the grip angle, nor of the 40 caliber round. Nothing against guys that like glock, they are simple and reliable, just not my cup of tea.

Best weapon for me was a sig 220 in 45. It had great presence and fit my hand perfectly. Talk about point and shoot! I've never had tighter groups with a handgun and love the da/sa action that makes follow up shots a breeze. I miss that gun, it's going to be my next handgun purchase once I have some spare cash.

Edit: iPhone posting is hard.
I have never met anyone else besides me that finds a Glock to point naturally. It's actually the only handgun I've ever fired that I can draw and punch out with my eyes closed, then open my eyes and have have the sights perfectly aligned.

I have never met anyone else besides me that finds a Glock to point naturally. It's actually the only handgun I've ever fired that I can draw and punch out with my eyes closed, then open my eyes and have have the sights perfectly aligned.

Same for me. My Glock 23 sights line up perfectly every time from the draw. Doesn't happen every time with my Sig 226 or M&P.

I've seen guys that love em' and guys that hate em'. It's awesome that you found the perfect gun that works for you. I had the same feeling with the sig 220.

I also noticed that my groups always pull right with the Glock, I can't but wonder if it's due to the odd trigger (safety.) I noted the same type of issue with the S&W M&P pistol, though not nearly as pronounced.

I'm sure that with enough time I would get used to the odd feel of those triggers, but alas I no longer have those guns and would rather invest in a pistol that would require minimal retraining on my part.

I wonder if the safety features in those triggers is my issue, or if the polymer grip angles are the main culprit? (Perhaps I'm just lucky with the Sig, and simply a poor shot [thinking])

I see a lot of departments switching over to the .45 over the 40 or 9. The department I work for is changing from glock 22's to M&P .45's

Well, I guess I'm the 2nd person. That's more or less what happens to me, depending on model. They just "drop right into the slot". Glocks and 1911s aren't too bad, despite the difference in grip angles; M&P and XD aren't too bad.. However... If I pick up a newer HK (P3000, HK45, etc) I end up pointing the effing thing at the ground and I have to actually roll my wrists backwards a little to bring up the front.

-Mike

Well, I guess I'm the 2nd person. That's more or less what happens to me, depending on model. They just "drop right into the slot". Glocks and 1911s aren't too bad, despite the difference in grip angles; M&P and XD aren't too bad.. However... If I pick up a newer HK (P3000, HK45, etc) I end up pointing the effing thing at the ground and I have to actually roll my wrists backwards a little to bring up the front.

-Mike

That's EXACTLY the same issue I have with my P2000. I'm not sure if it's the grip angle or perhaps how the weight is balanced in the hand, but it just naturally points low for me.

I recently acquired a glock 30 and was amazed at how the sights just lined right up for me when I raised it up...none of my other pistols point so naturally like that for me.it's weird.

The newest trend has dept.'s switching away from 45 and 40 and going back to 9mm. Within the last 6 months or so there has been in increase in this. St Paul MN, Texas DPS, Wichita Kansas, La sheriffs , Columbia MI, just to name a few. With modern ammunition there is marginal difference between the calibers as far as performance, however the 9MM holds more round, recoils less and is easier to train large numbers of people with. My agency is keeping an open mind about switching back to 9mm from 40. 45 was also mentioned, but few officers showed any interest in this with the biggest reason being capacity and weight. We are allowed to carry 1911's for details etc but only three out of 60 do,even the guys from our place who are on the regional swat team want nothing o do with the 1911 or any pistol that holds less then 10 rounds.YMMV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom