• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best police sidearm

What about FNX45? 14 or 15 rounds of 45ACP in the MAG +1 in chamber. Carry it with safety off and it decocked. Ploymer frame keeps it light, it really is not much wider than a 1911. I love my 1911 but its heavy to carry in a belt holster all day. I see the cost savings in 9mm firearms but if the department buys the 45 right the cost savings vs knockdown power are about even. I understand that 9mm +P+ JHP have come a long way but even the 147gn rounds don't do the damage a 230gn RN do, then you can get into the 45acp +P JHP and not much will still be standing expect a dude on bath salts or a bad shot.
My 1911 and Sig 220 have less muzzle flip than my ninety two FS or Sig225 even my PPK/s flips more than my 1911. I am not a COP but have been in the sand carrying around my 92 on a serpa holster on my airwarrior all day in a shakey blackhawk. Its easy to fly with but the italian tomahawk is only as good as its MAGs. I like the 17rd Baretta mags and mecgear 20rd mags. I have a grocery bag of GI mags and about 1/5 of them will not lock the slide on the last round or if you have it with 15 rounds it will try a double feed.
I am trying to get into MSP and if I had it my way it would be anything that holds 10+1 or more in 40 or 45acp. Its light, a barrel greater than 4". I really admire the HK P90 mag release but in a firefight that could be easy to drop your mag. I am recently rethinking DA/SA pistols and after a failure to fire pulling the trigger one more time. Technology has made primers either work or not work, just eject that round and try again. I like HK and M&P due to interchangeable grips for different hands. I am a lefty shooter so an ambi slide release would be nice to have.

The most important consideration is training. If you can fire once or more a week doing different drills than even a wrong ergonomic but reliable firearm will be effective. My personal accounts of a firefight were completely by suprise and very short. Training is everything and the limited experience was a dickbag with a 762 spraying a magazine trying to get lucky and you never found the sand lover. I am sold on the FNX45, the feed ramp will allow any design 45acp to be loaded reliably, it carrys 15rounds of 45acp, decocks has a safety so the firearms board will like that, its got a DA first shot and follow on shots will be SA. Its ergonomics are the same as the 1911 which was developed for Soldiers (so the lowest IQ could use it) and its light for the size firearm. If the departments would let a red dot on them that thats geewiz cool, but they come with night/ white dot sights which rock.

If those antique SA revolvers were truly faster, they would dominate Steel Challenge.

I specifically mentioned getting out of the holster. Most police shootings are single person engagements, not 5 or 6 different targets.

Edit: you are also not following the money. Manufacturers pay sponsorships, they want to see the latest and greatest at the competitions. Not much room for improvement on a old revolver.

Last edited:
I specifically mentioned getting out of the holster. Most police shootings are single person engagements, not 5 or 6 different targets.

Edit: you are also not following the money. Manufacturers pay sponsorships, they want to see the latest and greatest at the competitions. Not much room for improvement on a old revolver.

Why would a revolver be faster out of the holster? I don't get it.

Why would a revolver be faster out of the holster? I don't get it.

Show me someone firing a pistol from a holster as fast as that guy firing a revolver and I'll reconsider my position. I'm talking pro level guys included. More than likely, it's the trigger. My gun has an 8lb trigger, it's just hard to get a good grip, draw, clear the holster, finger on trigger and pull. Still better than the 14lb trigger on our old Barettas.

I'm damn fast out of the holster, but nowhere near where Munden is.

Show me someone firing a pistol from a holster as fast as that guy firing a revolver and I'll reconsider my position. I'm talking pro level guys included. More than likely, it's the trigger. My gun has an 8lb trigger, it's just hard to get a good grip, draw, clear the holster, finger on trigger and pull. Still better than the 14lb trigger on our old Barettas.

Wait, is your position really that police should use SA revolvers because super human Bob Munden can handle one better than any other human? That can't be a real position. Can't be.

Well maybe...

Last edited by a moderator:
The best police sidearm is the officers mind/judgement. They should not have guns on regular duty. They should maybe allowed to carry pepper spray if they are conducting "no-knock" warrants. From what I've seen, a policeman with a deadly pistol/revolver is just not a good combination based on the FUBAR'S they have done latetly.

From what I understand, the police duties are to enforce the law. When a police cruiser sits all day on the side of the road to enforce a speed limit or stop sign....a pistol should not be necessary.

I should not fear for my life if I get pulled over by a cop

The best police sidearm is the officers mind/judgement. They should not have guns on regular duty. They should maybe allowed to carry pepper spray if they are conducting "no-knock" warrants. From what I've seen, a policeman with a deadly pistol/revolver is just not a good combination based on the FUBAR'S they have done latetly.

From what I understand, the police duties are to enforce the law. When a police cruiser sits all day on the side of the road to enforce a speed limit or stop sign....a pistol should not be necessary.

I should not fear for my life if I get pulled over by a cop

Cops shouldn't carry guns?

...righhhhhhht.

Wait, is your position really that police should use SA revolvers because super human Bob Munden can handle one better than any other human? That can't be a real position. Can't be.

Well maybe...

The question was 'best sidearm'. I went with the argument that if properly trained, a SA wheel gun in .357 is a better duty carry than the 'made for the lowest common denominator' series of guns that most LEO's carry.

Take into consideration the situation I mentioned in my initial post, bad guy ready to fight vs LEO performing a 'routine' vehicle stop not knowing the guy was violent. Getting out of the holster after someone has the drop on you. Yes, a SA revolver with a properly trained shooter.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, do I have a different opinion on the matter than you? If there was only some place I could go on the internet and discuss things in a reasonable manner.

The question was 'best sidearm'. I went with the argument that if properly trained, a SA wheel gun in .357 is a better duty carry than the 'made for the lowest common denominator' series of guns that most LEO's carry.

Take into consideration the situation I mentioned in my initial post, bad guy ready to fight vs LEO performing a 'routine' vehicle stop not knowing the guy was violent. Getting out of the holster after someone has the drop on you. Yes, a SA revolver with a properly trained shooter.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, do I have a different opinion on the matter than you? If there was only some place I could go on the internet and discuss things in a reasonable manner.

Yes there is a huge push by police departments to swith to SA revolvers.

Fine, fine, I forgot, this wasn't a discussion that would have two sides. In that case, I propose this:

http://robocop.wikia.com/wiki/Auto_9

Then we can mandate that every LEO in the country has to be turned into a cyborg to counter the weight of the firearm and mandated armor.

Why did departments turn from .357 magnums in the first place? It wasn't that the round was ineffective, it wasn't that armed encounters typically expend more than 3 rounds, it was the weight of the firearm and the lowering of 'standards' that allowed 90lb women to become LEO's.

A typical service revolver is more accurate, has greater firepower, and is less likely to malfunction than the current 'gee-whiz' guns that LEO's use. My agency used to qualify out to 50 yards when we carried a wheel gun. We dropped the 50 yard qual when we went .40 and a crappy Baretta. Am I happy carrying a semi-auto, sure, I don't have a problem with it. The HnK I carry is a fine weapon. I've had so few malfunctions I can't even give an example. Does that make the HnK the best possible pistol for me to carry? No.

I leave you with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vom9iLDfb-Y

Fine, fine, I forgot, this wasn't a discussion that would have two sides. In that case, I propose this:

Then we can mandate that every LEO in the country has to be turned into a cyborg to counter the weight of the firearm and mandated armor.

Why did departments turn from .357 magnums in the first place? It wasn't that the round was ineffective, it wasn't that armed encounters typically expend more than 3 rounds, it was the weight of the firearm and the lowering of 'standards' that allowed 90lb women to become LEO's.

A typical service revolver is more accurate, has greater firepower, and is less likely to malfunction than the current 'gee-whiz' guns that LEO's use. My agency used to qualify out to 50 yards when we carried a wheel gun. We dropped the 50 yard qual when we went .40 and a crappy Baretta. Am I happy carrying a semi-auto, sure, I don't have a problem with it. The HnK I carry is a fine weapon. I've had so few malfunctions I can't even give an example. Does that make the HnK the best possible pistol for me to carry? No.

I just don't get what your point is... why would switching to a revolver be faster out of the holster? You realize departments run retention holsters right? You realize that a gunfighter (cop or not) might have to shoot one handed? Are there any benefits to going back to a Model-T over a Crown Vic?

I guess I'm just completely missing your point? There lived a man (Munden) who had a gift and talent beyond imagination... and because of that, we should do what?

Outstanding
images

Cops shooting revolvers at 50 yards? What was the target, a mountain?

How fast? How fast would munden be if his left hand couldn't fan the hammer?

The best USPSA shooters can't hold the A zone reliably at 50 yards. What target were you using? You're sure it wasn't 50 feet?

But are they 'smart' SA revolvers? Something where the police have enter a 10 digit alphanumeric code (on the attached key board) in order to use it. After all anti gun people always claim that criminals will just take a gun from someone who uses it in self defense so we need to make sure that the police guns are 'smart'....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I just don't get what your point is... why would switching to a revolver be faster out of the holster? You realize departments run retention holsters right? You realize that a gunfighter (cop or not) might have to shoot one handed? Are there any benefits to going back to a Model-T over a Crown Vic?

Comparing a Model T to a Crown Vic is dumb, there are obvious technical improvements between the different cars. What obvious technical improvement is there between a revolver in a magnum caliber compared to a semi-auto? Everyone has an issue with my example, but not the technical issue of a 'better' firearm for LEO's.

Bob Munden is just the extreme example of what a person can do. To your one armed scenario, stovepipes are pretty tricky to deal with one handed, right? So both options have their drawbacks in extreme situations.

I'm also aware of the holsters used back when guys carried revolvers, they were very secure but they also allowed a quick draw when you needed it to be. It just took a little foresight and experience.

I'm a big fan of new guns, I just don't buy into newer is always better.

Comparing a Model T to a Crown Vic is dumb, there are obvious technical improvements between the different cars. What obvious technical improvement is there between a revolver in a magnum caliber compared to a semi-auto? Everyone has an issue with my example, but not the technical issue of a 'better' firearm for LEO's.

Bob Munden is just the extreme example of what a person can do. To your one armed scenario, stovepipes are pretty tricky to deal with one handed, right? So both options have their drawbacks in extreme situations.

I'm also aware of the holsters used back when guys carried revolvers, they were very secure but they also allowed a quick draw when you needed it to be. It just took a little foresight and experience.

I'm a big fan of new guns, I just don't buy into newer is always better.

Stovepipes are pretty easy to deal with one handed.

Again, how fast was your draw?

Last edited:
The best USPSA shooters can't hold the A zone reliably at 50 yards. What target were you using? You're sure it wasn't 50 feet?

They were talking about bringing back the 50 yard qual shot with the HnK, so yes, 50 yards with the .357 SnW or Ruger. It is the only thing left my agency is respected for, our shooting.

Im still not sure what your point is. Single action magnum revolvers for duty right?

I'll hit a FBI Q target at 50 yards all day with any current duty gun... you dont need revolvers to do that.

I'm quick, there are quicker people out there. What's your point? Are we going to need Twinkies?

My point is you said you were damn fast on the draw with a revolver, I would like to know your idea of damn fast is. Why is it when people say they are damn fast, they can never say how fast that is?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom