Best police sidearm

M&P or Glock in 9mm.

The switch from revos to autos was a lot more than marketing hype. Which is easier to teach a new shooter decent accuracy with, a 12lb long travel trigger, or a short 5lb trigger?

I shoot better with a revolver... & who the hell is gonna keep a 12 pound trigger on it anyway? NOT ME!

I shoot better with a revolver... & who the hell is gonna keep a 12 pound trigger on it anyway? NOT ME!

+1

I wonder if those who question the accuracy and ease of use of revolvers have ever used one?

ETA the number of shooters who have never fired a revolver keeps growing every day so the comments don't surprise me.

Just curious, why do you like the M&P more than the Glock? Is it accuracy or recoil etc.? Does your M&P have a thumb safety?

M&P .40 for me and no it does not have a thumb safety. We switched over two years ago from the S&W 99 .40 which I liked, but I have found the M&P has less muzzle rise than the 99 had so I def didn't mind the change over. Mine went bang when I needed it so I can't complain!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

+1

I wonder if those who question the accuracy and ease of use of revolvers have ever used one?

ETA the number of shooters who have never fired a revolver keeps growing every day so the comments don't surprise me.

That must be why Boston PD requires all LTC applicants (including renewals) to take a revolver-based test to get their LTCs issued/renewed. It's a skill-building exercise! [banghead]

j/k

Just curious, why do you like the M&P more than the Glock? Is it accuracy or recoil etc.? Does your M&P have a thumb safety?

I shoot the M&P far better than the G21. I believe it to be better with both accuracy and recoil.

And I thought I would never say that because I hated the M&P series and I love my other Glock (G36).

Forty-one posts and still no mention of dogs. I'm disappointed. [sad]

People don't like to openly out themselves as trolls since your in LEO subforum. [rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

I like the fact that PDs are looking back into the .45acp. Our department is test many now

Some departments like to follow the MSP for whatever reason. I think you'll see more M&P 45 becoming the norm.

I like the fact that PDs are looking back into the .45acp. Our department is test many now

the problem with that is what got you the .40 "short & weak" round, the requirements to get on a department are not what they used to be, resulting in officers who can not qualify with the .45ACP round, then there was the 10MM round, which by most accounts is an effective round, but could not be handled by everyone, .357sig... great round, not for everyone.

So many departments will stick with 40 or 9 to make sure everyone can have the same gun, everyone will have the same ammo, same magazines.

I carry the G23 now, I'd rather carry the G22, I wouldn't mind a G21 or an M&P 45 at all. I am comfortable with the 40, I like it, and I've shot it more often than the other major calibers. The 40 is street proven and very effective, and I trust it as much as i trust the 45. That said, I would be very comfortable with a full size 45, I think the recoil is a little easier to manage, which can make a difference on the street. I would hesitate on the 9mm as a duty round only for what I have read about the 9mm having trouble with barriers. I could be wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to carry 9mm off duty. I've never even shot the .357 Sig, so I can't comment on it.

I carry the G23 now, I'd rather carry the G22, I wouldn't mind a G21 or an M&P 45 at all. I am comfortable with the 40, I like it, and I've shot it more often than the other major calibers. The 40 is street proven and very effective, and I trust it as much as i trust the 45. That said, I would be very comfortable with a full size 45, I think the recoil is a little easier to manage, which can make a difference on the street. I would hesitate on the 9mm as a duty round only for what I have read about the 9mm having trouble with barriers. I could be wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to carry 9mm off duty. I've never even shot the .357 Sig, so I can't comment on it.

Sig .357 is not nearly as good of a round as a .357 MAGNUM! Such as in the S&W M&P R8 8 shot .357!!!!

+1

I totally agree with this. I own 2 revolvers, a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel and a M29 Classic with a 6-1/2" barrel, and although I have never done any formal accuracy testing, I would venture a guess that they are the most accurate handguns I own. If I had to grab a gun to make a difficult shot and knock down the target, the M29 would be the one

M&P .40 for me and no it does not have a thumb safety. We switched over two years ago from the S&W 99 .40 which I liked, but I have found the M&P has less muzzle rise than the 99 had so I def didn't mind the change over. Mine went bang when I needed it so I can't complain!

What Dept carried the 99? There must have been a sale. [laugh]

the problem with that is what got you the .40 "short & weak" round, the requirements to get on a department are not what they used to be, resulting in officers who can not qualify with the .45ACP round, then there was the 10MM round, which by most accounts is an effective round, but could not be handled by everyone, .357sig... great round, not for everyone.

So many departments will stick with 40 or 9 to make sure everyone can have the same gun, everyone will have the same ammo, same magazines.

I would think that if you can shoot the 40 well, the 45 would not be that much of a difference.

I really wouldn't be comfortable with only 8 rounds on tap, in an caliber.

media_preview.php

Personally I like shooting a wide range of caliber but I do agree that most PDs will stick with the 40 or 9

The Five-seven USG (United States Government) with 20 rnd. standard and 30 rnd exd. mag.

with a.p. rounds . (restricted to leo and .gov only.
th

Back
Top Bottom