Best option for a CCW/Home Defense combo handgun in Massachusetts?

I am guessing a lot of NES members have specific handguns for HD use and specific ones when CCWing. I am also betting a lot probably use one for both.

I have a HK USP 45 for my HD (and sporadic CCW) pistol and a Ruger SR9c for my daily CCW. Sometimes the USP is way too big to CCW and for HD purposes, sometimes the size and magazine capacity of the post ban SR9c annoys me.

Let's say I need to consolidate, what would be the best multifaceted (used both equally for HD and CCW) handgun to purchase?

I was thinking a Glock 19, which is sized comfortably for CCWing but I find the grip ergonomic enough to fit the bill as a HD gun. Cheap to shoot and not to mention the ability to purchase pre-ban 15, 17 and 19 round mags if the lack of having a bigger caliber makes you nervous.

Thoughts? Opinions?

for home defense get a shotgun, Remington 870, 18.5 inch barrel, +3 tube extension.

I'm not a big fan of handguns for inside the house defense, keep the pistol on your side, defend with the shotgun

Buy a handgun for CCW you are 100% happy and proficient with, that you can afford to shoot regularly

A reasonably priced Glock 19 maybe

Last edited:
for home defense get a shotgun, Remington 870, 18.5 inch barrel, +3 tube extension.

I'm not a big fan of handguns for inside the house defense, keep the pistol on your side, defend with the shotgun

Buy a handgun for CCW you are 100% happy and proficient with, that you can afford to shoot regularly

A reasonably priced Glock 19 maybe

I agree 100%. I sleep with my SR9c carry gun within reach, but it is only for quick access to have in hand until I can get to one of my rifles. Shotgun is best for in the home because of over penetration problems with most center fire calibers in rifle, or pistols.

The only issue I have with a shotty is my current apartment.

There is a front and rear main entrance into the apt complex before leading to the tenants apts, but if someone made it through either entrance, just down the stairs, my back door is right next to my bedroom while the front door leads straight into my living room. Both are in close proximity to each other as well. I would have no time to grab a shotty in my safe.

While I do not foresee any trouble in the future (*crosses fingers), this is why I am keen on having a handgun as my HD option.

I have a Glock 19 at the ready during the night and plan to use it as my CCW. I also live in an apartment. Over penetration isn't really much of a concern though since this is an old building with very thick walls and only one neighboring unit.

I currently use my Glock 29 as my "bedside gun"* as all other firearms are locked up elsewhere. I plan to move a small stack-on safe up into my walk-in closet to stash my Mossberg 500A in......

*all storage laws observed

Another vote for a Glock 19.

When at home, you can keep a pre ban 17 round mag inside.

When CCW, carry a pre ban 15 round mag.

In the troubled state of Massachusetts, the G19 should be standard issue.

In a free state, I would carry a Glock 17 or Glock 21 because it would not matter if it printed.

Back
Top Bottom