Best hand axe?

SKS Ray

NES Member
Was watching Survivorman tonight and feeding my cellar wood stove in between commercials and as I busted up a few small logs with a hand axe I started thinking... with all the tactical/survival type axes out there, what's the best one? This is something I never thought about adding to any survival/bug out gear I have, but its really a must have item when you think about it. Chopping wood for fire, clearing debris, digging, fending off attackers, all things often mentioned in adds for hand axes in military catalogs, but which one has been proven for any situation?

I use a Sears Craftsman hatchet.
Its all one piece of steel, no wood or plastic handle to break or come loose at the head and has a flat surface opposite the cutting edge for use as a hammer. I think it was about $15 dollars ten years ago. It holds an edge well and is fairly light. It has proven itself to me driving nails, tent stakes, cutting saplings, splitting kindling, cutting bone and scraping a hide.

If there is one tool you want to have in any survival situation, its a small axe or hatchet. Having read old journals of early trappers in the northwest, those who were found frozen in the springtime by other trappers were the ones who didn't have an axe with them to aid in building a fire or shelter.

I'm partial to Estwing:

b1001.jpg

I've got a couple of their hammers, and an axe similar to this one is with my camping gear (which, not coincidentally, is also my BOB...)

+infinity on the Estwing

I got one as a kid over 25 years ago (Holy Crap, I'm not that old!!!). I've used it and abused it. I'm looking forward to having a child I can pass it on to, just so I can buy a new hatchet. Not because I don't like it, but I want to buy a new toy, and can't justify it when this thing just keeps going and going and going.
My wife gave me her Grandfather's hammer - yup, Estwing, and it matches the hatchet perfectly. Neither one will win a beauty contest, but they weren't meant to split the atom, just do a chore, and do it very well.

Estwing ? ....... Estwing ?

They make a Campers Axe. Bigger than a hatchet, smaller than a proper axe.

The Absolute Best.

Home Depot . Less than $40.

My survival kit has the small Gerber, but my field carry preference is this 'hawk. Splits & chops nicely, and a very handy thrower too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom