Best Carry Piece

Hello.

I am looking to buy a new everyday carry piece. I want it to be light weight, thin enough to fit in an inside pant holster, and I want it to have some stopping power. I was thinking of looking at a Sig P232 - .380 cal, and a Kahr PM9 – 9mm. I am open to suggestions on other pistols.

Thanks.

The 232 and PM9 are rather different guns. The 232 is too big for pocket carry. The PM9 is designed for pocket carry.

I have a Kahr K9, MK9, and PM9. IMHO, carrying an MK9 or PM9 in a belt holster is pointless. The gun is designed for pocket carry, so it has a very short barrel and abbreviated grip. If I'm going to carry in a belt holster, I can carry my K9 just as easily and it has less recoil, a better grip, and longer sight radius, so it is far easier to shoot accurately.

For pocket carry, the PM9 can't be beat. But that is the only way I carry it.

As for the 232, I'm not a DA/SA guy. I just don't like it. Furthermore, the 232 is quite a large gun for a .380. It just is not size efficient and you can get several 9mms in the same size. Also, I don't like heel magazine releases. So the 232 just doesn't work for me.

If you are looking to carry IWB, I would consider the Kahr K9, Sig 239, etc. If you are looking to pocket carry, I would get a Kahr PM9.

Your best carry piece is whatever is comfortable, and you can shoot well. I carry a Glock 17, over my M&P9c, because I'm more comfortable with it, and it conceals better on my 5' frame.

Hello.

I am looking to buy a new everyday carry piece. I want it to be light weight, thin enough to fit in an inside pant holster, and I want it to have some stopping power. I was thinking of looking at a Sig P232 - .380 cal, and a Kahr PM9 – 9mm. I am open to suggestions on other pistols.

Thanks.

S&W 642.

The 232 and PM9 are rather different guns. The 232 is too big for pocket carry. The PM9 is designed for pocket carry.

I have a Kahr K9, MK9, and PM9. IMHO, carrying an MK9 or PM9 in a belt holster is pointless. The gun is designed for pocket carry, so it has a very short barrel and abbreviated grip. If I'm going to carry in a belt holster, I can carry my K9 just as easily and it has less recoil, a better grip, and longer sight radius, so it is far easier to shoot accurately.

For pocket carry, the PM9 can't be beat. But that is the only way I carry it.

As for the 232, I'm not a DA/SA guy. I just don't like it. Furthermore, the 232 is quite a large gun for a .380. It just is not size efficient and you can get several 9mms in the same size. Also, I don't like heel magazine releases. So the 232 just doesn't work for me.

If you are looking to carry IWB, I would consider the Kahr K9, Sig 239, etc. If you are looking to pocket carry, I would get a Kahr PM9.

I have no experience with the Kahr, but I am thinking about getting one.

Having said that I agree with the notion of the 232 being somewhat large for a .380. But for me it is the most natural shooter I own. It just aims beautifully. And I can carry it more comfortably IWB than a Sig 239. Don't get me wrong, the 239 is a great pistol, but still a bit large unless I am wearing the right clothing. I know that when I bend over with the 239 I can print a bit. Not so with the 232.

Having said all of that I need to check out the Kahr line. Historically I've not been a fan of polymer guns. I like metal. Probably just the old grumpy guy in me. Right now I have a Seecamp in my pocket, but it is only a .32. Not enough IMHO.

Sorry for the ramblings... but it is what I'm thinking about at this moment. Ruger LCP for 1/2 the cost of the Kahr, but polymer. Or Kahr in 9mm for pocket carry... all metal.

Hello.

Thanks.

All in all the best carry piece is going to be the one that you will actually carry. So it has to be comfortable, have ease of concealment, and be easy with the curves.

Since you mention new everyday carry piece. What is your current?

It probably gets overstated but I can't say enough how happy I am with the M&P 40c. It holds 10+1 rounds, easily concealed in an IWB holster (even the generic ones), feels good in the hands and shoots well. I really enjoy the Sig 239 (never shot or handled a 232), however, richc is right- it's much more difficult to carry concealed although very possible with the right holster. Also, I don't know how many rounds the preban sig mags hold but I know my brother's 239 only holds 7-8 .40 rounds with the ones that came with the gun.

The Kahr K9/P9 are smaller than the 232. The K9/P9 trigger is constant, unlike the DA/SA of the 232. But the Kahr trigger is rather different than a Glock trigger. The Glock trigger has a short takeup, then a creepy, crunchy break, followed by that plastic sproing feel, and a very short reset. The Kahr trigger has a longer stroke, but it is much smoother, more like a very, very good DA revolver (better than a late model production S&W trigger). The Kahr trigger does have a much longer reset than a Glock trigger.

The Sig SA trigger is better than the Kahr trigger, but to get there you have to deal with the first shot DA trigger pull, which I absolutely can't stand. YMMV.

IMO - For the light weight, ease of concealment, and decent stopping power I suggest the S&W 642.

You should consider the Glock 26 or 27 as well as the M&P9c / 40c. I have a 26 and it disappears in my IWB holster....even under a t-shirt.

You should consider the Glock 26 or 27 as well as the M&P9c / 40c. I have a 26 and it disappears in my IWB holster....even under a t-shirt.

+1 for the G27. Picked mine up a week ago with a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB holster. No printing,interchangable mags barrels ect. Love it.

I loved the ability to conceal both the mp9c and Glock 26. I used to carry the mp9c everyday until i switched to the 26. Both firearms are almost identical carry wise.

I carried these most often in an M-tac holster under a t-shirt. Sometimes an undershirt under the t-shirt adds some bulk to the t-shirt to eliminate printing even more. Remember a good belt is as important as a good holster. I've also had both firearms on my ankle and in a smart carry.

Glock 27 .40 subcompact its right on at the range def the stoping power needed and the comfort to carry all day i carry the 23 personaly and im a small guy with no problems keeping that out of sight.... throw that 27 in an aker in pants thumb snap holster you can pick that up for under 20$ ( just my personal oppinion)

There is no perfect carry gun. It is all personal preference and what fits your lifestyle. I currently carry a Smth M&P 360 in .357. I carry in my pocket. This gun is small, light, and powerful. Drawbacks are recoil, short sight radius, and capacity. However it fits my lifestyle because I need a very concealable weapon. I used to rotate between a Sig 232, a Glock shorty 40, and a Sig 228 in paddle holsters. I can't do that anymore. As was stated by others the best carry gun is the one you will carry.

I can't wait to check out the new mass compliant Kahr.

Hello.

Thanks.

Plenty of people here carry a full size pistol in an inside the waistband (IWB) holster. Smaller guns are easier to conceal, but if you're willing to dress around the gun, you can carry almost anything. I know that doesn't help you choose much, but you might be surprised at how well you can conceal larger guns. So you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to tiny guns.

If you'd like a smaller gun though, add the Walther PPS, Smith & Wesson M&P compact series, and some of the smaller Glocks to your list to check out.

or PD. Small(ish), light and powerful enough for about anything. Yes, you can carry it, easily.

1911sc1.jpg

The Sig P239 is a great gun but heavy. If your looking for a pocket 380 try finding either the P3At or LCP. Tough find in Mass but they are out there. LCP loaded with 102 grain Golden Sabers, 6 in the mag on in the chamber weighs in at 12.4 oz. Carry all day and never even realize it's in your pocket

I carry a Glock 27 with +1 grip IWB 98% of the time. 1% being my Glock 23 I'm a bigger guy so the 23 still conceals well and sometimes I like to have the extra few rounds. The other 1% of the time it's a S&W 642 just in my pocket on pants or shorts with tight waist bands...lol

I used to carry my Walther PPK/S with laser grips excluively but I just bought a PPS and it is quickly becoming my carry weapon of choice.

+6 Same here.(minus the lazer)
Having changed from .380 to 9mm is a bonus awell.
The PPK recall sent me to the PPS, and I'm stickin' with it!
I've had a M&P9c for a while, I like the gun,but I did'nt care for it as a "Carry Piece."

I love my PM9, but I still love my S&W 442. They are both great pocket guns. They both hide well and shoot a decent cartridge.

The Smith is easier to load if you have weak hands, and as I get older I notice more "Stiff wrist" sort of days. On those days it seems hard to cock the PM9. Its advantage is the extra two rounds, 6 in the mag and one in the pipe, and really good nite sights.

Walther PPS in 9mm. Super concealable, easy to shoot, accurate, reliable. Especially nice in a good quality IWB holster, like a Milt Sparks VM2. I carry it 6+1 with the 6-round mag and a 7- or 8-round mag in my weak side pocket.

Back
Top Bottom