• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Carry 1911 $1,000 or Less

Thanks FiremanBob. There is actually a Smith SW1911SC Performance Center locally that is used that I am eyeing.

I have the 4" Bobtail Commander Performance Center 1911. Of the nine 1911's that I own, it is my absolute favorite. Tack driver accurate, very reliable and the finest trigger. I didn't jump into this thread before to mention it because you listed a dollar limit, but now that you brought up Performance Center..................................................

It's a beautiful firearm. But I just can't get over the ridiculous warning they insist on putting on the frame. I would want to remove it. Or better yet, change it to something like " Warning: Hot coffee is hot". Maybe, " Warning, bullets come out this end".

a little time in a milling machine can solve that calling @Greg Derr !

I live in MA and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson.
Not true but okay.

This Ruger in the classifieds sounds like it fits the bill and at that price you have room for ammo/holsters etc.

Last edited:
I carry the scandium commander. It's been 100% reliable and is a nice light thin carry gun.

One thing to watch out for if somebody buys a used one is to pay attention to the plunger tube... Early on in the first few years that they made those things. there was a massive amount of bad parts. Granted I'm talking years ago... But it's worth mentioning... at least when it fails usually only one side shears off and you'll see it when you clean the gun. I've never had someone tell me that the replacement tube sheared off after smith fixed theirs, which is good.

One thing to watch out for if somebody buys a used one is to pay attention to the plunger tube... Early on in the first few years that they made those things. there was a massive amount of bad parts. Granted I'm talking years ago... But it's worth mentioning... at least when it fails usually only one side shears off and you'll see it when you clean the gun. I've never had someone tell me that the replacement tube sheared off after smith fixed theirs, which is good.

My 5" SW 1911 did this as well

I’m in the market for a carry 1911 in 9mm or 45 ACP but there are a few caveats. It must be light weight (no all steel frames), it must be commander size or smaller, and here is the real kicker - I live in MA and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson. It can be used or new but I would like to keep the price tag at $1,000 or less. Oh, and it has to be pretty darn reliable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

You really can't go wrong at that price point. Find one you like, they will all be about the same in regards to quality and reliability.

If you set the price at $500, there could be a fair amount of discussion.

I am confused by this, is the OP not asking for others opinions on best 1911's for carry under $1000?

There've been no shortage of suggestions for Glocks and Kahrs.

It's like PennyPincher's thread, where she says her son is considering whether to go be an infantryman in the Army or the Marines and someone comes along suggesting he become a Navy nuke tech. SMH.

I love how some people insist on imposing their own preferences on the OP, regardless of his reasons for asking his question.
Thanks FiremanBob! Everyone’s an expert, and my choice to carry a 1911 is stupid apparently. :rolleyes:
Not sure why I couldn’t simply get some feedback on reliable 1911’s that people on this forum have actually carried. Signing off as this has definitely gone off the rails.
I do appreciate your feedback and others that stuck to my question. All the best.

Thanks FiremanBob! Everyone’s an expert, and my choice to carry a 1911 is stupid apparently. :rolleyes:
Not sure why I couldn’t simply get some feedback on reliable 1911’s that people on this forum have actually carried. Signing off as this has definitely gone off the rails.
I do appreciate your feedback and others that stuck to my question. All the best.

Don‘t let this stop you from coming back. For what it’s worth, every one of these types of threads devolve at one point or another. Well...not the Flobert threads...

I‘m a Colt collector (wanna-be, anyway) and have never had a problem with my Competition Stainless. I have their Gold Cup Elite and their Delta Elite as well, though I haven’t fired the GCE. There’s a lot of good info here - stick around.

Back
Top Bottom