• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

best 9mm HP?

After doing some research and reading that alot of you people here really like the Federal HST I decided to pick up a few boxes. I will shoot a box to see how it feeds in my handguns and if it all works out it could be my new carry ammo. HST I read does not stand for "Hydra Shock two" but the coincidence is too much for me to believe otherwise, not that I care but thought it was funny. I have shot the Hydra Shock and its currently deployed in my carry guns but figured Id try the HST out after all the positive reviews. I plan on picking up some Speer Gold dot soon and giving that a whirl soon as well.

polar%20bear.jpg

Federal HST is made in batches (9mm, 40 s&w, .45) so it can get a little hard to fine sometimes, but Shooters in NH is a good source for these rounds. I had my LGS order some but it to quite awhile.

BTW it's a great round.

Last edited:
Only complaint I have with feredal HST is it won't point-shoot through glass as reliably as Speer Gold dot. I like Speer. All my pistols like Speer.
I seriously doubt there is any 9mm ammo that won't deflect when aimed thru a car windshield. the angle and thickness of the glass is just too much for a 115-147gr bullet traveling at 9mm speeds. Side windows would be a different story, but I wouldn't pick a 9mm ammo based on performance thru windshields. If that's the case, better go with a .44 magnum like Dirty Harry.

I seriously doubt there is any 9mm ammo that won't deflect when aimed thru a car windshield. the angle and thickness of the glass is just too much for a 115-147gr bullet traveling at 9mm speeds.

You would be wrong, the best 9mm ammo on the market does it reliably all the time, particularly stuff that's +P+ with a bonded core.

-Mike

In that case it sounds like the problem is solved. I'm only aware of the Fed 115 gr +P+ 9BPLE. Are there others?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.

In that case it sounds like the problem is solved. I'm only aware of the Fed 115 gr +P+ 9BPLE. Are there others?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.

there are others. Winchester ranger line has a 115 +p+ as well as Gold dot. But most of these loads have been shown to suffer from core/jacket separation which can lead to penetration issues. The 115gr gold dot, just expands too much to penetrate deep enough consistently.

As its been stated over and over, just pick one from the list DocGKR put together, make sure it functions in your pistol, then train as much as you can.

I recently bought some 135g federal hydra shock. Any line on its quality?

Ancient, and probably one of the worst of the old hydras you could pick, it was one of the loads that acted like ball ammo.

-Mike

found 7 boxes of Win Ranger-T @ Collectable Arms and Ammo last week. Bought it all. Muahahaha

Not sure if this helps, but I had the same question. So I searched the forum, and saw this thread has been evolving since 2009. Recently received this link.

http://preparedgunowners.com/2015/0...munition-is-your-ammo-on-this-list-pt-3-of-3/

"The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
Remington Golden Saber bonded 124 gr +P JHP (GSB9MMD)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester 124 gr +P bonded JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P PT
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not appearing on the above list, does anyone have input regarding Liberty Civil Defense +P?

A review I read:

"Comparing the rough recoil estimates, the lighter and faster Civil Defense generates 30% less recoil than the heavier and slower Critical Duty. Comparing muzzle energy, the Civil Defense delivers 30% more muzzle energy than Critical Duty. All calculations are based on manufacturer muzzle velocity estimates."

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/liberty-ammunition-civil-defense-line-review/

I was told it reduces recoil and over penetration, making it safer for apartments, closer residences, etc.

I don't really know what bullet this is exactly and I don't know their MA-policy, but nereloading has some pulled Federal 147gr JHP currently. $46.99 for 250

Keep checking their site.... a month or two back they had pulled HSTs in 9mm (124gr) and .40, too.

Last edited:
I will never buy anything other than Speer gold dot, HST, or hornaday CD. All three have their strengths in different guns, but all three have more development and testing behind them than anything else I am aware of.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I don't really know what bullet this is exactly and I don't know their MA-policy, but nereloading has some pulled Federal 147gr JHP currently. $46.99 for 250

I will never buy anything other than Speer gold dot, HST, or hornaday CD. All three have their strengths in different guns, but all three have more development and testing behind them than anything else I am aware of.

Thank you for the feedback!

Bought some Remington ultimate defense recently. 9mm 124g. The rest of the Internet seemed to like it, some said it was an updated golden sabre. However, I trust you guys more, what say you on Remington ultimate defense?

my glock 26 hated Federal HST 124 grain. trouble feeding+jamming when ejecting a live round clearing.......but
My ruger P89 loves the HST's. seems like a great round...........just not for My glock
must be a looong bullet?

my glock 26 hated Federal HST 124 grain. trouble feeding+jamming when ejecting a live round clearing.......but
My ruger P89 loves the HST's. seems like a great round...........just not for My glock
must be a looong bullet?
Used it in my G26, SR9C, XDS9, Range Officer,Shield and G43 and all was flawless. Just picked up some more from Riley's today. No 147 but I usually only carry 124. I need a Brand to work in all my 9's and took a few runs at diff brands but for me so far so good.

Last edited:
must be a looong bullet?

147 gr HST work fine in all of my Glocks (19, 23, 26).

Back
Top Bottom