best 9mm HP?

+1 on hornady critical duty.

critical defense 124gr has remarkably low flash out of short barrel.

for some reason i am intrigued by golden saber but seems like nobody likes those anymore?

Big fan of 127/147 Fed HST and Ranger T, both in +P
Carry it in my P30 and Shield, and in the wife's P30 for HD duty.

I keep half an eye peeled on the various ammo sites and sometimes you can get it without paying out the ass.

ammo.jpg

Last edited:
I use Hornandy +p.

Disclaimer - I haven't shot anybody so I have no idea if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on hornady critical duty.

critical defense 124gr has remarkably low flash out of short barrel.

for some reason i am intrigued by golden saber but seems like nobody likes those anymore?

SOME of the GS loads are good but there's a lot of hit or miss.

Another problem is dealers and mid levels can't dry rape quite as hard with it as its actually sold in a 25 round box. So nobody wants the stuff alongside the other 20 round rape boxes of federal personal disaster, or Cor-bon, because the other 20 round boxes will sit there unsold.

-Mike

I personally like the Hornady Critical Defense 147gr XTP.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone already previously posted, pick one from Dr Gary Roberts list. Any of those have been proven in tests and in actual shootings to perform well.
Find the one that shoots best from your gun and that you get a good quantity of to run through your pistol.

That being said, my duty round of choice would be federal 147 grain HST or Winchester Ranger bonded 147 grain. All signs point that we're switching to 9mm so one of those will most likely be our choice.

i am wondering if anyone has any info about which Hollow point bullets expand the best? penetrate the best ? i am gonna go buy some Hp ,but i want to know whats a better one shot manstopper for self defense?

What pistol, or at least barrel length will you be using?

From my under 4" barrels I tend to the Federal HST. From longer barrels Speer Golddots. For both I tend to the 124gr. Some pistols do better with some ammo than others do.

I like Hornady critical duty 135gr +P and speer gold dot. They seem to make quite fine holes in the paper and knock the steel around pretty well. I am told they expand nicely but I hope to never find out.

Only complaint I have with feredal HST is it won't point-shoot through glass as reliably as Speer Gold dot. I like Speer. All my pistols like Speer.

Only complaint I have with feredal HST is it won't point-shoot through glass as reliably as Speer Gold dot. I like Speer. All my pistols like Speer.

I try not to shoot people through glass. In fact, I can't think of any self defense situations that would require me shooting a peep through glass.
All of that aside, how do you even know this?

I try not to shoot people through glass. In fact, I can't think of any self defense situations that would require me shooting a peep through glass.
All of that aside, how do you even know this?
Witnessed a shooting in Florida. Police offer vs crazy chic in a car. Three shots clustered right in front of her face all three JHPs deflected on impact with the glass and missed her. Like, he did awesome and put two in the ten ring just over the steering wheel. All three missed her and the seat entirely.

She drove off after pushing his radio car out of the way and almost killed two people a few miles down the road.

Caused me to research the effect of glass on ballistics a little at the time. Buddy I played in an orchestra pit with (FDLE crime lab tech) had some good conversations with me about it.

Every LEO I knew at the time used Speer exclusively and the "word" was for glass performance. Mostly anecdotal and now old data (the few studies we found were 2004 or earlier) but sage wisdom is sometimes based on worthwhile experiences.

Witnessed a shooting in Florida. Police offer vs crazy chic in a car. Three shots clustered right in front of her face all three JHPs deflected on impact with the glass and missed her. Like, he did awesome and put two in the ten ring just over the steering wheel. All three missed her and the seat entirely.

She drove off after pushing his radio car out of the way and almost killed two people a few miles down the road.

Caused me to research the effect of glass on ballistics a little at the time. Buddy I played in an orchestra pit with (FDLE crime lab tech) had some good conversations with me about it.

Every LEO I knew at the time used Speer exclusively and the "word" was for glass performance. Mostly anecdotal and now old data (the few studies we found were 2004 or earlier) but sage wisdom is sometimes based on worthwhile experiences.

If he can group that well he would have done better shooting her tire out at that range.

I have both 127 gr. Winchester Ranger 9mm +p+ and 124gr. Speer Gold Dot. Wish that I had +p Gold Dot. I prefer the Winchester Ranger +p+ over the standard velocity Gold Dot.

Back
Top Bottom