• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

belts

OK, which is preferred and why between these two general purpose "utility" belts? Would both fit in jeans and/or khakis?
The Wilderness' Original Instructor Belt 1.5"
The Wilderness' Original Instructor Belt 1.75"

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and the marketplace is full of copies of this belt, but none can compare to the original."
So, my question becomes, where can I find these copies, are they the same thing for less money, and any other advice?

Similar question on these two:
Best-Quality Belt-DL 1.5" Gun Belt

Best-Quality Belt-DL 1.25" Gun Belt

Generally speaking, do people have any preference on belts? I am looking for something I can wear with jeans for everyday use, but that will also hold up the equipment if asked to do so, without dropping a large amount of cash. I am wondering if these types of belt are more specialized and would either stand out or be uncomfortable for every day use. What I'd envision is a grown-up version of the boy scout belt, only stronger.
P.S. If this is better in the equipment category, please feel free to move it. Thanks.

Last edited:
http://www.thebeltman.net/

I have a black dual layer bullhide belt with silver buckle. It's awesome. I can wear it all the time, for almost any occassion, with any pair of pants or shorts I own. I've used it for carry purposes (the reason I bought it) and used it for duty gear (with belt keepers) and it works great! Excellent construction and it's thick... almost 1/4".

Great belt.
Just my .02

ETA - I'm not sure what you're looking to spend. But I was hesitant to drop 60 or 70 bucks, too. But you definitely get what you pay for. This belt will last a long long time and keep doing the job it was designed to do.

Last edited:
Leather is much more comfortable than wide heavily-stitched nylon.

I like Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen leather gun belts. Ted Blocker also makes a good line of products.

Agree on all points, and add:

All other things being equal, the wider the belt, the more comfortable the carry. However, the belt has to be sized to the belt loops or slots on the holster. For my money, 1-1/2" is the narrowest acceptable, and I'd always take 1-3/4" over 1-1/2" if the holster permits.

My preference is double-ply black leather belts with a simple garrison buckle. For what I consider to be "everyday" use with a trouser belt, the best buy you'll find is at a uniform shop, one of those places that sells to POs and FFs.

Where online?

I am still trying to get it in my head that people have different belts for "carrying" than what you'd find at a department store, even a thicker one. Is it really necessary? I see some of those clip on type holsters just on the pants with no holster, so figured any belt should be better than that.

Thanks for your patience and help.

I have to say that the Mitch Rosen leather is bar none the best that I have owned. And the personal attention that he gives cannot be beat. He is local Manchester NH. And like most I have a box of near do well holsters and belts that just did not cut the training.

Leather always over nylon.

I have a Rafter S shark skin belt that looks and feels great. I only wish
that it was a bit stiffer, but the shark skin looks very cool and is
very abrasion resistant, so the belt looks almost new after 2 years.

F

I carry a 1911sc nearly everyday, I use either a wilderness belt, or the new belt I just got from the Beltman. Even with a good holster, a cheap belt will allow the gun to pull away from the body.

Get a good belt, and a quality holster, and you will be much more comfortable carrying a concealed weapon

I carry a 1911sc nearly everyday, I use either a wilderness belt, or the new belt I just got from the Beltman. Even with a good holster, a cheap belt will allow the gun to pull away from the body.

Get a good belt, and a quality holster, and you will be much more comfortable carrying a concealed weapon

+1 You can't beat a belt designed for carry. The thickness is what makes the difference. when I first started, I found what I thought to be a "thick belt" at TJMaxx for like $12 bucks. Doesn't cut it. I read somewhere that with a good carry belt, you shouldn't be able to fold the belt on itself the narrow way, if that makes sense. My $12 belt, although thick, was cheap leather and I could pinch it together with little effort. My beltman belt, not a chance. With that belt and my comptac holster, even full size guns disappear.

I've learned time and time again. If you're going to do it, do it right; spend the money once and be done with it. Trying to take the cheaper way out ends up costing you more because you ultimately end up with the more expensive belt.

I wear a Wilderness Instructors 1.5" belt all the time, whether I'm wearing a holster or not. Great belt and it fits all my pants.

I have a Gunners Alley belt on the way . . . that will be for dressy occasions.

Where online?

I am still trying to get it in my head that people have different belts for "carrying" than what you'd find at a department store, even a thicker one. Is it really necessary? I see some of those clip on type holsters just on the pants with no holster, so figured any belt should be better than that.

A gun belt makes quite a difference, depending on what you carry and the type of holster.

Southern Holsters has a new site. Their Mephis Holster is great as well. It looks like their prices have gone up about 10 bucks, and their lead time has lengthened some, but that's what happens when good holster makers start getting popular. It's still less than the big names, and the holsters are just as good, if not better.

If he doesn't have a belt "in stock" in your size, just email him. He does great work.

I, like you, was torn about switching to a "real gun belt". I was posting about it on the 1911 forums. I purchased a holster from him and he made me a gun belt to "try". He said if I liked it after 30 days, pay him. If not, send it back. Now THERE is a guy who stands behind his work.

You asked specifically about the Wilderness belts.

I own one that is 1.5" and one that is 1.75" I almost never use the 1.75" belt. It is not as comfortable, does not hold my gear well, and it is rather tight fitting in the belt loops of many brands of pants.

The weak point of the Wilderness belts is the hook part of the Hook and Loop closure (I don't think it is Velcro brand but close) I was able to replace the hook material with little problem.

For other belts that don't scream gun, I have a Galco belt in Tan, a Galco belt in Cordovan, and my favorite belt that is a 1 5/8" double thick black leather sport belt from HOFFNER Once the belt was broken in, it became a great belt for carry. They are very stiff new from Hoffner.

Edit to add: A friend that travels extensively was detained in Israel (I think that was the country) because of his belt. He wore an Instructor Belt that they identified as "Para Military"

Good answers, keep them coming. Again, anybody know about the "copycat" ones? Sometimes the copy does one better than the original for less. Thanks again.

I"ve been using a Galco 'cop belt' as my only belt for about 5 years. Good quality, good thickness, sturdy and does the job very well...dress or casual use.

If you carry a gun on a belt you NEED a belt made for a gun. Regular belts don't cut it. The Galco does....and it's not as expensive as some other brands.

QUOTE=Coyote33;312474]Good answers, keep them coming. Again, anybody know about the "copycat" ones? Sometimes the copy does one better than the original for less. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I think that they think that yates is one of the cheap "knock offs". If you look at what yates makes and who they make it for, you can't classify them as a "cheap knock off". If you are intending to really use this thing for occasional rappelling, the yates is much more comfortable and controllable on rope. The fact that their is a separate attachment point for the carabiner keeps the buckle from digging into you (while on rope). Hard to describe, but if you look at the pictures you'll be able to see the difference.

yates

450RappelBelts02fg.jpg

wilderness instructor

instructorbelt_175_bk_500.jpg

With that said, I am sure that 99% of people that own these belts have never used them on rope.

Last edited:
With that said, I am sure that 99% of people that own these belts have never used them on rope.

I guess I fall into that 1% I have used mine multiple times when up in a tree using the chainsaw. Also, while climbing the tree, I used the belt to tow the chainsaw up with me.

BTW, if you are interested in actually touching and feeling the belts, AG Guns and Ammo in Lowell has a rack of gun belts for sale.

Where to get the Galco or Yates? Approximate price?

That Yates one looks good for a casual type belt, and the other(s) might be better for different occasions.

I just got my second belt from "The Beltman", and I'm very pleased with it. The quality is obvious.

I was worried about spending almost $70 for a belt, until I got my first one. I got a Tan belt that I could wear with almost anything. It fit and carried so well, and started to "form" to my waist so well that I went and bought a Black dressier version.

I think you get what you pay for most of the time, and the Beltman sells a great quality product, that will last for years, at a fair price.

Bill

Belt

Agree on all points, and add:

All other things being equal, the wider the belt, the more comfortable the carry. However, the belt has to be sized to the belt loops or slots on the holster. For my money, 1-1/2" is the narrowest acceptable, and I'd always take 1-3/4" over 1-1/2" if the holster permits.

My preference is double-ply black leather belts with a simple garrison buckle. For what I consider to be "everyday" use with a trouser belt, the best buy you'll find is at a uniform shop, one of those places that sells to POs and FFs.
+1 on all above. Leather and the stiffer the better. There is a uniform place right on Rt 9 on the Worcester Shrewsbury line next to the "gun store" we loved to hate. I forget the name but they carry a bunch of different belts suitable to hang a hogleg on for reasonable prices.
Michael.

The only thing I hate about Uniform Stores... Is that they only carry Black belts. I wear Jeans and Khakis. No black or Blue pants. So I need to find a store that carries brown belts...

Not to sound too metrosexual but your belt should match your shoes not your pants. I wear a black belt/shoes about 90% of the time with khakis.

http://www.thebeltman.net/

I have a black dual layer bullhide belt with silver buckle. It's awesome. I can wear it all the time, for almost any occassion, with any pair of pants or shorts I own. I've used it for carry purposes (the reason I bought it) and used it for duty gear (with belt keepers) and it works great! Excellent construction and it's thick... almost 1/4".

Great belt.
Just my .02

ETA - I'm not sure what you're looking to spend. But I was hesitant to drop 60 or 70 bucks, too. But you definitely get what you pay for. This belt will last a long long time and keep doing the job it was designed to do.

+1 or 2 actually. I have two belts from this site and I love them both. I use them for casual and business casual dress with no problem, plus they've held up well when used in conjunction with my CCW. Yes, the are a bit more expensive but it's worth it.

Where online?

Cabela's has a good sturdy leather belt that costs $25. It is called a roughneck jean belt. It fits through jean belt loops and holds a hoster nicely. It is 1 and 11/16 inches thick. It is a good belt.
www.cabelas.com
Best Regards.

Back
Top Bottom